• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

horizontal shaded lines on FFXIV with new GTX 970

Just upgraded from some AMD cards. Didn't notice at first but eventually looked closer after a couple days and i see some weird horizontal shimmering. It's subtle and not artifacting of any kind, nor is it tearing. It's just kind of shaded horizontal lines moving up and down. Shows on my desktop or browsing too as long as FFXIV is running.

this is best i can do without taking a video

https://imgur.com/9y7MfZn

compare that to this pure grey screen here which is what original picture is:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php#clockcalib

hopefully it can show the difference of what i'm seeing vs what it should be.

Anyway, this only happens in borderless windowed mode. Tested a couple other games and i didn't get this effect. And i guess it has something to do with the resolution? Because in BW mode it says the game's running in 1920x1080 (forced via game, can't change it unless someone knows how), as opposed to fullscreen 1920x1200 which is my monitor's native resolution.

The refresh rates should all be the same as i can't get anything to go beyond 59-60hz anyway. Also for the sake of troubleshooting i did try vsync and that did not do anything. Also playing in anything but borderless windowed is not something i can really do.

Any thoughts? thanks

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Leona Kalinamori
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Did you uninstall the AMD Drivers before removing and installing you're new 970?

if not download http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html and than run it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

yes i ran complete uninstall then i ran guru 3d driver cleaners as well as cc cleaner.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Camdyn Sicblades
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I run Borderless window at 1920x1200. after logging into the launcher you should get the start screen. go down to where it says configure. i think if you switch to windowed mode, you can then set custom resolution to 1920x1200. you should be able to then switch it back to borderless.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

thanks. did that, still having same issue unfortunately.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Leona Kalinamori
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

have you tried changing the drivers to say 347.25?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

i haven't. i'm on 350.12 right now. that's something i can try if you think the newest drivers have issues.

Did you try using a different output? HDMI vs DVI-D vs DVI-I vs Display Port?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

i've only stuck with the one output. my monitor doesn't take hdmi and i'm using a dvi converter that's plugged into the card.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

in case anyone was wondering, i never figured this out.

ended up buying a gysnc monitor and all is well. guess my old one was just being old.