+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Space Game: A Game in Space

Hello! I have been working on a hobby project for a couple of weeks in my spare time, and is to the point where I think I have enough done to get some feedback. I know there isn't too much to see at the moment, but as I begin to finalize plans for systems and mechanics, I would like to first get some feedback to make sure I don't spend too much time on things that may ultimately change.

The game is a shmup with RPG elements. There will be a mostly linear campaign, but along the way there will be plenty of time to gather materials, level up, and upgrade skills.

Download Here (Updated: 5/17/15 - Ninja update at 11:00 PM)

Path Notes (5/17/15):
    • The Kaldr system is completed
    • 4 new scavenger missions added
    - Scavenger missions will be one of three types of levels. You fight against randomly placed enemies until a set timer expires. These missions are mainly to level up, gather materials, etc.
    • A bonus level added to the Kaldr system
    - Bonus levels have a chance to appear after successfully completing a scavenger or campaign mission. Getting a higher score on the level influences the chances of bonus levels appearing. Once the bonus level appears, if another level is entered instead, the bonus level will disappear upon returning.
    • After the Bjarni system, bonuses to prestige and resources will be awarded based on your stage score
    • Three new enemies added
    • Devastator ability added
    - Deals 750% missile damage, half of that damage applied as splash damage to adjacent targets
    - Can be unlocked via the Character Ability tab once you reach the Kaldr system
    • All abilities can now be unlocked properly and do take resources when unlocking, but only Tractor Beam and Devastator are currently implemented
    • Beam weapon added and can be unlocked through the campaign
    • (Ninja update - Life leech and energy leech now work)
    • (Ninja update - Fixed some errors with HP display)
    • (Ninja update - Exit correctly appears now after completing Seint)

Known Bugs:
    - Level 1 life leech triggers 50% of the time instead of 2%
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Patch Notes (5/10/15):
    • Tractor Beam ability added
    - Graphic/sound to be added later
    • Ability menu added
    - You can upgrade them simply by left clicking for now, to make sure they upgrade and cap out properly; however, only Tractor Beam is implemented.
    • Loadout menu is complete and all skills can be upgraded
    - Final flak cannon skill has changed
    • Asteroid Belt level added
    • Bjarni solar system completed
    • Kaldr solar system added (Incomplete)
    • Misc. graphic tweaks

Controls:
    - WASD to move
    - Click(hold) Left mouse button to shoot
    - Right click for abilities

Figure I'd upload a pic for those who would want to see how it at least looks.

I appreciate those who take the time to download and share feedback.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

going to give it a shot when i get home just because i like the title

The Anti Miz

BG Level

so im having issues getting stuck on the sides of the screen. also got this error:
    of Draw Event
    for object obj_updater:

Unable to find any instance for object index '17' name 'obj_player'
    at gml_Object_obj_updater_Draw_0
    ################################################## ##########################################

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Do you recall if you got that error after dying with a buff in effect?

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Yea I had just gotten a health bonus

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Cool, got it fixed. Thanks

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

I believe a magnet option would be a good addition to the core upgrades. Just something to move the buffs in your direction a bit at the start, then more as it's upgraded. Add a money sign next to prestige on the character sheet to indicate what it's used for in the shop. Is there a materials list somewhere? I couldn't find it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I like the idea of a magnet ability. I could also have an ability toggled to the right mouse button that pulls all buffs/items on the screen to you as well... I think I know how to do that lol

Adding a $ to the prestige makes sense, definitely an oversight. The materials will be displayed to the right of prestige I'm thinking. There are only 6, so I think they should be able to fit without being crammed. Trying to reduce the amount of windows and stuff since A) it takes me a long time to do the art, place objects within it, etc. and B) just less annoying having to navigate multiple screens and windows

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Updated OP with weekly update.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Character and loadout screens no longer show up on the bottom bar. Downloaded a few times to make sure.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Oh, sorry, I forgot to explain that bit. The character and loadout screens aren't active until the first solar system is done, as that is supposed to be more of a tutorial/intro now. They (should) unlock once you reach the second solar system, although there aren't any planets to explore there yet. I'm limited on how much I can do during the week, but by next Sunday update I hope to have a couple planets in to mess around with.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Updated OP with weekly update.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Updated OP with link to it on Greenlight. Please visit and vote yes if you feel it deserving. Thanks!