Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Population numbers after the ending announcement?

Just curious, what are server numbers like since they announced the imminent retiring of this game?

I and most of the people in my guild all quit over the following weeks, curious if it's a widespread thing or if players are going to be happy playing and paying for a game with no updates.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

We're not going to know how many people will continue despite no content updates until they actually stop doing content updates, you know.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Also there has been a steady decline in numbers thanks to the constant bans, so hard to know how many people quit.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah and I'm sure a lot of people took a vacation either to dodge the bans or just to not bother until everything is released who will most likely come back at least for a few weeks after the end of major content. Some might stay a bit longer to see what they meant by just no major content like if there might be some little new things to keep them playing and then some to finish a goal or 2 and screenshot it. Like finally finishing that mythic or something. So really I don't think it will really be known till idk they drop console support

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Yeah and I'm sure a lot of people took a vacation either to dodge the bans or just to not bother until everything is released who will most likely come back at least for a few weeks after the end of major content.
    Definitely a bit of this. I've always said that if SE banned me for Windower I'd accept it because I'd never play without it, but there's some other kind of shit going on, so I pretty much paid 12.95 for Koru-Moru trust and a KB pop this month.

Campaign
    BG Level

Population was already on a low curve before the announcement, which I think just accelerated the inevitable.
    Mass bannings everywhere didn't help either.

Oddly enough, some old players reactivated though.
    On my server I could name at least 20-30 people I know who reactivated after the announcment, because of it.
    Considering the whole server the number of people who did that is likely higher

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I reactivated account two weeks ago because i was bored waiting for ffxiv expansion. I was going to reactivate ffxi account earlier but with the last SE announcment it made me feel like playing ffxi would be losing time. Anyways i have much to do and smn in ffxi > ffxiv

I checked population at different times and i got numbers between 650-1100 in Ragnarok.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

The moment I heard they were done with FFXI I and most I know bailed really quickly, so I would be surprised if many are waiting till the final nail is hammered in. I gotta be honest in that I expected the server populations to nearly half within days of their announcements, I would be amazed if that is not the case.

Also I find it odd that Square are ending development, ending 2 platforms, banning lots of people but yet they are having a free access weekend to get people to play again.

Makes almost no sense to me, wtf are they even doing?

It's a trap, free play so they can get you to be actively banned.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by rate View Post
    The moment I heard they were done with FFXI I and most I know bailed really quickly, so I would be surprised if many are waiting till the final nail is hammered in. I gotta be honest in that I expected the server populations to nearly half within days of their announcements, I would be amazed if that is not the case.

Also I find it odd that Square are ending development, ending 2 platforms, banning lots of people but yet they are having a free access weekend to get people to play again.

Makes almost no sense to me, wtf are they even doing?
    There's a lot more than 50% of the playerbase still remaining. Based on searches, I'd say Odin lost about 20% of its players from the combined effects of the announcement and the bans.

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    There's a lot more than 50% of the playerbase still remaining. Based on searches, I'd say Odin lost about 20% of its players from the combined effects of the announcement and the bans.
    I'm not sure if it was 20%.
    Certain notorious people I've used to see, now I see their mules doing stuff (as in getting gear and whatnot).
    So Odin really hasn't changed. (Cause those that got banned immediately came back on mules)

And last night I joined a PUG with a shithead asshole who must have come back from before the last enmity update... Dumbass didn't know how GEO works... How haste caps work... That haste cycle duties go: RDM>GEO>BRD/COR>WHM (depending on set up)... How to wait for buffs.... Then again the BRD was retarded too. (And all high and mighty about how ignorant they are. Like if you're BRD and someone asks for double marches, haste AND Geo's Haste... I feel you should know what haste caps are...)
    And there has definitely been an increase in "old" content demand, I'll have to check on Friday/Saturday... But I wouldn't be shocked if Odin has grown slightly. Not much. But just a tad.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by rate View Post
    Just curious, what are server numbers like since they announced the imminent retiring of this game?

I and most of the people in my guild all quit over the following weeks, curious if it's a widespread thing or if players are going to be happy playing and paying for a game with no updates.
    Asura still has a decent population. Over 1k on atm. We have seen a lot of people leave for rl, or to go FF14 but we still have ok numbers though we do have a lot of character's bazaaring. Asura also been losing a lot of people like rest of servers due to bans.

400 on Bahamut on UK prime time.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Cyleena View Post
    Asura still has a decent population. Over 1k on atm. We have seen a lot of people leave for rl, or to go FF14 but we still have ok numbers though we do have a lot of character's bazaaring. Asura also been losing a lot of people like rest of servers due to bans.
    I honestly don't think anyone is leaving XI for XIV anymore since 2.0 has long since come out unless they are flip-floppers already. But, the reddit shell is on Asura which has a lot to do with why Asura is probably the most popular.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    I honestly don't think anyone is leaving XI for XIV anymore since 2.0 has long since come out unless they are flip-floppers already. But, the reddit shell is on Asura which has a lot to do with why Asura is probably the most popular.
    We saw a lot of people leave FFXI when FFXIV came out but then came back. When 2.0 got released they went back like you said flip-floopers. I meant we seen a lot of people go to FFXIV when it first came out and everyone went to check it out. Some stayed, some came back. I lost several friends to 14 but I could never make myself go try it. Main reason people been leaving lately is bored of game, or rl commitments keeping them busy. A lot of people been coming to Asura because it is more populated, and more shouts/stuff to do with others then on some of the lower populated servers. I have had a lot of people apply to my shell from other servers that wanted to change cause they were too bored and not much going on (low population) on theirs and they wanted to do events, which many shells (especially EU shells) quit doing. I have a friend that had a char on another server and he said there was hardly any shouts to do anything on it. He could sit in town almost all day and not see any shouts. Asura at least still has pug shouts though a lot of our shouts are from our most well known trolls doing what they do best. If you like town drama you would feel at home on Asura.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    I think there are still people leaving for XIV, granted I'm pretty sure they're not a lot.
    The opposite is true as well.

Atm FFXIV is living a moment of stagnation as they're waiting the release of Heavensward. A consistent number of bored FFXIV people came back to FFXI to see the things they haven't seen in the past 1+ years.

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Hello everyone. If you are coming back to XI, I would like to personally welcome you back. I have been monitoring the numbers of active characters lately as seen on FFXIDB. As stated on another thread, there appears to have been a decrease in approximately 10,000 characters who have used the AH in the last month. The number has stabilized since April and so I believe this estimation is accurate.

As was also noted in that thread, this 10,000 is not suitable for calculating per capita measurements, only scalar measurements. This is due to the counting mechanism being slightly glitched. Personally, I have stated already that as November draws closer, we we will see a lot more complaining--and rightfully so as SE is basically cutting us off.

Addendum: Despite the appearance, I do not work for SE.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiran View Post
    Hello everyone. If you are coming back to XI, I would like to personally welcome you back. I have been monitoring the numbers of active characters lately as seen on FFXIDB. As stated on another thread, there appears to have been a decrease in approximately 10,000 characters who have used the AH in the last month. The number has stabilized since April and so I believe this estimation is accurate.

As was also noted in that thread, this 10,000 is not suitable for calculating per capita measurements, only scalar measurements. This is due to the counting mechanism being slightly glitched. Personally, I have stated already that as November draws closer, we we will see a lot more complaining--and rightfully so as SE is basically cutting us off.

Addendum: Despite the appearance, I do not work for SE.
    From the numbers you are looking at what were the player numbers before?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

numbers hes talking about are here http://www.ffxiah.com/database

it's wildly inaccurate and obviously that includes every character that touches the auction house

total active: 119,219 i'd say about 60% of that is the population of ffxi currently, as in actual players, if i had to guess

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Personally I know a lot of people who came back because of the announcement. Including myself lol. So I'm seeing the opposite affect, also I'd be willing to bet most of the people who 'quit BC the games ending' were actually banned.
    My LS lost like half its members to the bans.