Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The above posters are correct about the values of the FFXIAH being additively skewed. That being said, I'm only trying to answer the question about how many left. The answer is about 10,000. Per capita (percentage) measurements would be inaccurate because of the data skewing; however, the skewed amounts have remained unchanged during the whole period of observation, as far as I can tell. Thus, ignoring the skewed amounts and taking the difference yields us with 10,000--which would be the same value we'd have obtained even if the amounts were not skewed. What would change if the amounts were not skewed are per capita measurements and current population measurements--neither of which I claim to know or can give you unfortunately.

If the numbers for the dead servers are changing, then that 10,000 would indeed be inaccurate.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Yea, I just reactivated after being away almost 7 years. currently on Slyph, but damn, I'm thinking about jumping worlds. saw <500 last night, and not much going on.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

One thing I think worth pointing out... is not just the number of folks on any given server, but those who are actively leveling. I've been amazed to find parties of level sync folks (real people, not RMT bots!) out and about while I've been mucking around in Monstrosity. On Phoenix the number of people online since the announcement has fluctuated from 350 to 1000.

Since I've noticed all the folks leveling, whenever I do a /sea all, I immediately follow it up with a /sea all 2-98 - to see what percent of the folks are un-/anon'd mules, and which are really actively leveling (inside abys, outside abys, level sync, etc). Amazingly it's pretty consistently between 1/4 and 1/6 of the active population that's un-/anon and between levels 2 and 98 (inclusive). On Phoenix right at this moment, there are 445 characters online and 73 of them are un-/anon between levels 2 and 98... and a good chunk of them are out in level-appropriate exp areas. Amazing!

That being said, I wonder how many are being leveled solely through RoE crafting. My crafting mules... some are almost at level 30 without having ever fought anything, simply from crafting so much.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I've seen hospices with more life than Lakshmi.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    i have characters on all servers and they are all about the same, people claiming otherwise are living in denial and don't remember what the game looks like when it was active

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Thanks for saving money on a server transfer then. Though, I've looked at Bahamut and Asura's shoutcrawls and they seem far more active.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

asura is "slightly" more active than the rest, and i think a lot of it comes from the fact that most new players start on asura for whatever reason which leads to more people shouting for random things (reddit LS etc). bahamut eh, but i still don't know if the transfer would be worth your money unless you know someone there

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    asura is "slightly" more active than the rest, and i think a lot of it comes from the fact that most new players start on asura for whatever reason which leads to more people shouting for random things (reddit LS etc). bahamut eh, but i still don't know if the transfer would be worth your money unless you know someone there
    Asura is probably "slightly" more active then the rest not only cause of new players but a lot of server transfers. There has been whole linkshells that have transferred here recently from a different server, and I run a GMT event shell, and I get a lot of interest from people that are looking to transfer or have already transferred to Asura.

Thursday at 8:36 PDT and 745 on Asura atm.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    That being said, I wonder how many are being leveled solely through RoE crafting. My crafting mules... some are almost at level 30 without having ever fought anything, simply from crafting so much.
    In order to get Orvail Rings for all my crafting mules I needed to level them to 99. The vast majority of their levels came from doing Coalition Assignments (Couriers to be exact since had to go through all the zones for the missions and provides the most exp)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    You are just a bundle of ffxi sparthos ;p

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

i have characters on all servers and they are all about the same, people claiming otherwise are living in denial and don't remember what the game looks like when it was active
    Its might be "dead", but all the good CP camps are taken....

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Population numbers after the ending announcement?

slightly is an understatement for gmt players asura seems very active compared to say phoenix. (and phoenix is one of the better populated servers).

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

sorry to hijack this thread, since i dont have 10 post, i cant make new thread. maybe someone can make one and name it "ffxi dat reverse engineering"

i have manage to reverse engineer majority of the dat information, and have build some application to display the NPC model and maps. But due to my time constraint, im unable to finish it, so im now making it open-source. hopefully someone with interest can complete it.

i have uploaded the project to github.
    since i cannot post url, try search for it "galkareeve/ffxi"

there r 4 project, namely
    1) DatLoader - this export the dat information to a text file

2) DatReader - this display the image. not fully decoded.

3)Engine_progressiveload - this display the NPC model. still missing cloth smoothing. see dat 3044.

4)mapViewer - this display the map. no alpha and some dat missing MMB.
    map start at rom/0/28.dat onwards. - unreleased map

optionally
    5) Blender - a simple blender import. To use , open a text editor in blender and open the importBlender_file.txt, then change the filename.
    Use the DatLoader project, change the flag eg OUTPUT_XXX_BLENDER_XX to 1

requirement
    6) opengl - this include the library file for glm, glfw3, glew and freeglut, that is used by the project

currently im using visual studio 2010 express to compile. u need to change the setting in VC to point to the include and lib (glm...etc)

notes:
    - need to change the ffxi install path, for me it is at
    char ffxidir[512]="D:\\Program Files\\PlayOnline\\SquareEnix\\FINAL FANTASY XI\\";

pls search for ffxidir in the code, and change the path to your path.

- to load different dat, right click on the project explorer, goto properties -> Debugging -> command argument, change to different dat number. eg 3044

the dat number follow this format eg rom2 \ folder 1 \ dat 10, will be 2*1000000 + 1*1000 + 10 = 2001010

Things that r unresolved
    1) unable to enable transparency. if GL_BLEND/GL_BLEND_FUNC is enable, majority of the map will be transparent!!, (use the mapViewer project to view map). that is because the texture have alpha=0 in it, which is very strange to me. In the DatReader -> DDS2Bmp.cpp file, BC3getColor() at line 425, pls comment off the rgba.a=0xff; or uncomment the makeDDS() in Dat29.cpp file at line 131, to see the difference.

2) for certain Dat, there is no MMB (model). i believe there is some encoding that say to replace this MMB with another MMB. see dat 4000003 (aht whitegate at extreme right, the 2 pillar next to the imperial gate) the MMB model used is wrong.
    MZB record 371: gat_sid_m, the correct MMB should be gat_sid_h.

defination of certain word
    1) MMB - the model (vertex, normal, uv...etc) eg. a Tree model
    2) MZB - the instance of the model. there r many Tree. every instance is a MZB record. It define the transform to world corrdinate.

something odd abt Square mesh
    1) for NPC model, each indices can have multiple uv coordinate
    2) each vertex can comprise up to 2 different vertex (x1,y1,z1) (x2,y2,z2).

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Asura can get pretty quiet during the week which is not surprising with people at work and all that. Weekends can get pretty active but since Summer is incoming lately its been getting pretty quiet. I know it probably has a lot going on compared to other servers but since I have been on Asura for several years (was on a different server that merged here originally) I have seen a difference in the activity especially lately cause we are getting into the Summer months, and with the end of new content coming out approaching most people only are playing occasionally until Nov then planning on quitting.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is pretty much dead. Occasionally see a wkr shout during JP hours, but even then only about ~400 online total. NA primetime about 300-350.

It's funny because my linkshell of ~6 just recently got back into the game.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by myrid View Post
    Quetzalcoatl is pretty much dead. Occasionally see a wkr shout during JP hours, but even then only about ~400 online total. NA primetime about 300-350.

Pretty much this, don't think I've seen 500 online at once since I reactivated my account about a month ago to see what was going on with Rhapsodies.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You're golden if those ~6 all play together at similar times at least.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

JP prime time is much higher than this. Every time I look there's at least 800 on, sometimes 1k+. NA is low 350-600.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zorik View Post
    JP prime time is much higher than this. Every time I look there's at least 800 on, sometimes 1k+. NA is low 350-600.
    Yeah, there appear to be servers more closely aligned to one time zone now. Asura is NA-heavy. Shiva is JP-heavy, etc. So maybe overall numbers may be somewhat similar, activity levels vary wildly on time zone.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

/sea all in shiva around 10:00 PM - 11:00 PM JP time around 1000 players.