BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Linkedin / Career Searching Advice Appreciated

Background spoiler'ed - Linkedin is main question, if anyone has additional advice on top of Linkedin questions after reading brief spoilered background, I'd appreciate that too.

Spoiler: show
    So I'm beginning to look into finding new employment. I currently work as an auditor in Pittsburgh. I have SQL, Access database, auditing, performance feedback, and statistical analysis experience. I am extremely proficient in Excel. Overall, I'm not screwed over for qualifications. The problem is, unfortunately, that my resume doesn't show it beyond my first post-college job I've had for 3+ years now.

I went to school for Secondary Education: Social Studies and I have a dual major in that with a history bachelor's as well as a Psychology minor. I am very quantitatively gifted though and on my GRE I scored over the 90th percentile. This skill is how I wound up with a statistics based position despite my degree. Ultimately though, I did not pursue grad school.

My work knows I haven't been very satisfied. I have at least one, if not two people, in management/leadership who have already said they'd be a professional recommendation if I sought employment elsewhere. On top of the general elements of unpleasantness that affect everyone universally in our office, I don't make as much money as I feel I'm worth or I feel I need to get by and the problem is only further compounded by a massive construction project on the commute to my work that is only going to continue for another 18+ months minimum and turns my 45-60 minute commute into a 90 minute affair.

I'm looking to make a Linkedin profile. I currently have no social media accounts and have not had one since deleting my Facebook three years ago. What is the expectations and rules of thumb for Linkedin? I search some of my coworkers and some do not have profile pictures up. Is this frowned upon? I am 26, in shape, and decently aesthetic so I feel like a profile picture couldn't hurt me but the ones who did have one up the photos looked staged/forced and awkward. Should I add my boss(s) on Linkedin or is this frowned upon as being an open step towards leaving? While some superiors know I'm looking elsewhere and support me in that regard, some do not. Even the ones who do support me, I'd be hesitant to add as there's a difference, I perceive, between as an individual vouching for me and publicly displaying support on a website. What are some other recommendations or do-nots of Linkedin? I am very social media adverse and my first post-college position I have now I did not utilize Linkedin when I found the position several years ago.

Any other job recommendations also appreciated.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Nearly all of the people in my industry use a photo with their account so, in my opinion, doing so is definitely not frowned upon.

Like you, I'm also not on the book of face but I've found linkedin to be surprisingly useful. I use it as a kind of facial recognition catalog book for clients that I need to instantly recognize.
    I'm terrible with putting names to faces, especially when I only see these people once a year. Starting a linkedin account has helped me tremendously with this problem.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

use a professional head shot if you have one. if you dont have one put on a suit and ask a friend to take a pic of you in front of a neutral background. crop from the top of the chest

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

My Linkedin Profile pic is the picture I posted on here with my in my Link Tunic and my dog on my lap. I'm not in the market for a job at the moment, but I'd probably leave it with that if I was. The only reason I set up my account was that a year or two ago my team had a manager that was pretty awful. Because of that I wanted to be prepared with an updated resume and a list of skills somewhere that people could see if I wanted to start looking.

At the time I just started with basic information on my job and education. I may go back at some point and update it with some more information and skills. The other two people I share my office with seem to have a battle of educating our higher ups why we're worth as much as other members of our team. They seem to believe that we are a "production" role and as such, are a lower level of employee. I can't say I'm pleased to hear that, and I want to combat it properly and not come off as a whiny brat with high expectations.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I'm on LinkedIn reluctantly. I don't have a big social presence online. I don't even need to be on LinkedIn really because I work in my family's business and there's no chance of losing my job. My work colleague though uses it to link with other breakfast club members and to find connections to various industries that might suit our business.

One little titbit of information you might not know - if you peruse someone's profile, they might get a message that you've been looking (if you're logged in I presume), so if you don't want people to know you've been looking - log out first.

Quote Originally Posted by Laugana View Post
    I'm on LinkedIn reluctantly. I don't have a big social presence online. I don't even need to be on LinkedIn really because I work in my family's business and there's no chance of losing my job. My work colleague though uses it to link with other breakfast club members and to find connections to various industries that might suit our business.

One little titbit of information you might not know - if you peruse someone's profile, they might get a message that you've been looking (if you're logged in I presume), so if you don't want people to know you've been looking - log out first.
    You could actually help the business by being on linkedin and joining with people that do business with you.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Nah I'm not that way inclined. I don't want a public online presence. Anyway, whoever I'd be connected to, my work colleague is connected to as well.