+ Reply to Thread
    Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Good places to buy Windows 8.1

I'm looking to install Windows 8.1 on a macbook I just picked up (it doesn't support Windows 7 or I'd go that route.) I plan on doing this using bootcamp (basically dual booting). I don't feel like pirating it, but I would like to cut costs if I can. The system builder copy is much cheaper. I was wondering if anybody had experience with this, has any recommendations, and also opinions on Windows 8.1 vs Windows 8.1 Pro. Mostly this is to run software when OSX can't.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Honestly, system builder copies are the exact same thing. They are cheaper as you are "supposed" to purchase it with components for a new PC.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Last I saw you're also not supposed to be able to transfer the license to another set of hardware. Basically, it's supposed to be sold with hardware, to be used on that hardware. Unless you're changing hardware often, it's probably not an issue, and I think people have success activating on different systems anyway, even if they have to do the manual process.

Between editions...the main differences for installing on that hardware would be if you plan to use Applocker/Bitlocker or join to a domain. There are max RAM/CPU socket differences too, but they're a moot point for most people. You can check here.

That said, Windows 10 is coming soon, and will be changing up how some licensing works and may change Home/Pro feature sets up (it'll be a free upgrade, but presumably Home->Home/etc). So, you may want to wait for that before spending money.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok