sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Marootsoobutsu View Post
    Eh? Goodwill has about 82 cents on the dollar turned directly to their purpose (job training and job places for people with disabilities). Considering the rather enormous overhead of their method (retail), and the costs that go with it, it's actually pretty impressive. There have been some scandals regarding salary, but that's mostly been debunked, particularly when compared to similarly sized charities or when compared to the growth those managers have brought to their relative areas. For example, the Portland chapter of Goodwill got a ton of scrutiny for an 860k salary/benefits, but management salary and overhead in his area accounted for 5% of their take-- it was actually one of the more efficient Goodwill chapters in the nation. Could it have been more efficient? Absolutely. Is it worth avoiding? Probably not. While I generally believe that smaller, local charities tend to function far better than mega-charities, finding the local charities that aren't frauds or scams is a lot more work, and there's something to be said for folks easily donating.

Just don't give them your old CRT TVs and monitors. They can't sell them, and they end up as expenses when they have to dump them.
    I strongly suggest you read up a bit on how their job training and hiring practices are utilized. They commonly take on work release inmates and pay them far below minimum wage. It's even more insulting for people with disabilities. Here's a good example of it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanada...abled-workers/

Goodwill has also admitted to collusion with Microsoft in regards to donated software. They "recycle" all software that doesn't have the box, manuals, product keys, etc as part of an agreement with MS to cause people to buy new MS products.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

While I agree that the disabled workers should also be entitled to at least minimum wage. It's never going to happen. In the case it passed, they'd just hire employees that aren't disabled instead

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    While I agree that the disabled workers should also be entitled to at least minimum wage. It's never going to happen. In the case it passed, they'd just hire employees that aren't disabled instead
    This right here. If there's no incentive to hire a less productive employee than they won't. Can't blame them either.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Unless employing disabled people was their sole reason for existence. Then they probably would.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Why anyone donates to shit like that without researching the money is beyond me. I don't donate for the same reasons.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong for this, but this is why I do not donate money to causes when I get asked at Kohls, the grocery store, etc. In the end I really don't know where it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Thats why I dont donate.
    Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    Same, I've never donated and I dont plan to, not with the income I'm making.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Why anyone donates to shit like that without researching the money is beyond me. I don't donate for the same reasons.
    such a generous community

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

I take it all of those people you quoted donated to BG recently? :D

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I don't understand the outrage over this, almost all cancer charities do this to a greater or lesser extent.

The sad thing is that cancer is actually an amazing business these days, do you even see how much the people that work and lead charities get paid?

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    Honestly don't blame them. Though instead of being cynical people should just look into what cause they are donating to. A lot of the animal rescue charities don't do shit and I know that the main diabetes charity gives jack shit towards research, or at least did when I looked into it.

I donate to some things, clothes and money but yeah, i'm not giving $$ just to line someone else's pocket.

I don't understand the outrage over this, almost all cancer charities do this to a greater or lesser extent.
    because there should be outrage? When you give to charity you expect at least 60% or more goes towards the cause.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Honestly don't blame them. Though instead of being cynical people should just look into what cause they are donating to. A lot of the animal rescue charities don't do shit and I know that the main diabetes charity gives jack shit towards research, or at least did when I looked into it.

I donate to some things, clothes and money but yeah, i'm not giving $$ just to line someone else's pocket.

because there should be outrage? When you give to charity you expect at least 60% or more goes towards the cause.
    I expect 90% + of what I give to goto the charity, have you seen how much the CEOs of charities get paid so they can live in a mansion and drive a ferrari? Fuck that bullshit, if a CEO makes nearly a million a year from donations then that is just as bad as what OP posted.

Charities are 100% bullshit, vast majority of them are businesses and very little else. Problem with being a business is that you have minimal desire to actually cure the issue you're making money off, parasites.

You know where one of the most recent breakthroughs came from towards cancer prevention? Fucking Cuba.

BG Level

Excuse me, judgy-Mc-ass, I didn't say I DON'T donate. I meant I don't donate to companies like that.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Not how it came off. And I ain't judgin. Charity is a personal choice, or it's meaningless. I was more commenting on your and others' apparent cynicism. "Welp, one person did something bad, this completely justifies not helping anyone"

Even if it's more than one, or even a majority, that's still shitty reasoning.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    I strongly suggest you read up a bit on how their job training and hiring practices are utilized. They commonly take on work release inmates and pay them far below minimum wage. It's even more insulting for people with disabilities. Here's a good example of it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanada...abled-workers/

Goodwill has also admitted to collusion with Microsoft in regards to donated software. They "recycle" all software that doesn't have the box, manuals, product keys, etc as part of an agreement with MS to cause people to buy new MS products.
    My friend works in management at Goodwill. She is a very sweet woman who works hard to try and improve the lives of others through her job.

On a note: paying workers well AND putting the vast majority of the money donated towards charity is next to impossible.

BG Level

Not how it came off. And I ain't judgin. Charity is a personal choice, or it's meaningless. I was more commenting on your and others' apparent cynicism. "Welp, one person did something bad, this completely justifies not helping anyone"

Even if it's more than one, or even a majority, that's still shitty reasoning.
    That's exactly what you're doing. Not a single one of us said we don't donate to any charity.

So yes, you were being judgmental.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I make about 1500 per month, and have about 1400 in monthly expenses. I had to budget all this because I had to make an appeal to Student Loans Canada, who I owe 17k to, that I have not found a job in the field of my study and need an extension on the start of my repayments.

My first charity is me, and thats regardless of what kind of bullshit charities would potentially do with my money. Why would I give away money to charity when I'm already owing money elsewhere?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Read whatever you want between the lines, kuro. There's nothing there.

BG Level

That's likely because you spelled it out perfectly on the lines themselves, dude. There's no need for an argument.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I donate time and supplies to rescue shelters. I don't donate to human charities unless its some loose change at a register. I'd rather see the tangible benefits than hope that my money isn't going to yet another rich, White CEO.

Is that against the law? And somehow I have started to think about Walter White :D