1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 0 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 59 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 17 hours, 0 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 16 hours, 59 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Voyage1970 View Post
    Even with that restriction if the shields Astrologian can give people stack (separate buff) with SCH shields then I see no reason to choose a regen additional effect instead. In any scenario where you are spamming heals on a tank the Regen would have to be pretty potent to even notice an effect where a shield would be direct mitigation to allow for better survivability against tank killer moves. The only thing regen would be beneficial for is to top off anyone besides the main tank so you could just fire and forget and go back to focusing sooner.
    Not being able to switch stances does seem bland, but the alternative is 2 AST parties and nothing else I suppose.

Even with that restriction if the shields Astrologian can give people stack (separate buff) with SCH shields then I see no reason to choose a regen additional effect instead. In any scenario where you are spamming heals on a tank the Regen would have to be pretty potent to even notice an effect where a shield would be direct mitigation to allow for better survivability against tank killer moves. The only thing regen would be beneficial for is to top off anyone besides the main tank so you could just fire and forget and go back to focusing sooner.
    AST regen effects could be, like, super potent and short to differentiate them from WHM's I guess.

ie. A 300 potency cure with 2 tics of 200 potency regen or something.

Tho tbh I'm expecting the regen and shield effects for AST's heals to be significantly weaker than the WHM/SCH equivalents.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    I got a PM from a Lillia earlier linking an article from Dengeki Online. I'll browse through it for new information or see if it warrants a full translation, but the point she was interested in was about stance switching on astrologian.

A snip from the article:

"...However, one caveat is that switching [stances] during combat is not allowed. It will be necessary to review the party setup and choose a stance in advance...."

Source: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/056/1056760/
    Incoming Cleric's Stance nerf

Quote Originally Posted by Cutriss View Post
    Incoming Cleric's Stance nerf
    I think you're being sarcastic, but if they were that shortsighted...

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    AST regen effects could be, like, super potent and short to differentiate them from WHM's I guess.

ie. A 300 potency cure with 2 tics of 200 potency regen or something.

Tho tbh I'm expecting the regen and shield effects for AST's heals to be significantly weaker than the WHM/SCH equivalents.
    For the regen to even be fully effective the max duration would have to be lower than the GCD+cast time for the spell anyway and in that case you might as well just make it a big single heal. In your scenario a tank would be healed for 300 potency right off the bat and then a tic for 200 potency a few seconds later. Assuming a 2-3s cast time and with GCD ticking down during casts you would cast another spell before the second tic could take effect anyway effectively making it lose potency since the same buff can't stack potency, only refresh durations. It also wouldn't help in issues of excess healing where as a shield would always provide extra benefit even in a scenario where you are spamming or accidentally overheal.

I just feel they went the wrong route with the regen thing. If they wanted to use a heal over time effect but make it actually useful they could make it so healing as Astrologian gives a buff that 25% of any damage sustained is regenerated over 5s. Call it Rewind to go with the whole Space/Time thing they apparently are trying to give Astrologian. The damage regen recalculates after every hit so you aren't getting the full benefit of the effective 25% reduction unless the situation allows for it which will be few.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Edit: Double post

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Been some speaks about Sleipnir and Kirin being added to the list of horses that will fly. Is there any confirmation in any of the various interviews

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Kirin was mentioned on dev tracker - http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...=1#post2946228

Forget where I read Sleipnir being added.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

For the regen to even be fully effective the max duration would have to be lower than the GCD+cast time for the spell anyway and in that case you might as well just make it a big single heal. In your scenario a tank would be healed for 300 potency right off the bat and then a tic for 200 potency a few seconds later. Assuming a 2-3s cast time and with GCD ticking down during casts you would cast another spell before the second tic could take effect anyway effectively making it lose potency since the same buff can't stack potency, only refresh durations. It also wouldn't help in issues of excess healing where as a shield would always provide extra benefit even in a scenario where you are spamming or accidentally overheal.

I just feel they went the wrong route with the regen thing. If they wanted to use a heal over time effect but make it actually useful they could make it so healing as Astrologian gives a buff that 25% of any damage sustained is regenerated over 5s. Call it Rewind to go with the whole Space/Time thing they apparently are trying to give Astrologian. The damage regen recalculates after every hit so you aren't getting the full benefit of the effective 25% reduction unless the situation allows for it which will be few.
    Try running T13 and then tell me you don't love Medica 2.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    That whole section made no sense to me but I'm pretty sure he was talking about Shukuchi. I think he was referring to the start of a fight where a NIN might get itchy trigger finger and Shukuchi over to the mob and attack before the tank does an action on it and have hate temporarily.
    I do this all the time, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dammerung View Post
    Try running T13 and then tell me you don't love Medica 2.
    I think he's just saying that if all their heals have a HoT effect always when they're in that stance it's not really efficient.

That said do we know if the regen/shield effects are applied to all their heals? Or just certain spells?

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I think he's just saying that if all their heals have a HoT effect always when they're in that stance it's not really efficient.

That said do we know if the regen/shield effects are applied to all their heals? Or just certain spells?
    Pretty much. Regen effects are good as one off abilities that you use and let them tic away as passive background healing. Remember all those terribads people complained about who would spam Medica II in parties? Basically all Astrologian heals will become the extreme version of that. The interview said "healing actions" will have the additional effect so I'm just basing it on that and going with any of their main heals, probably excluding the off GCD ones ala their version of Benediction/Lustrate. If their heals are balanced around the regen effect or shield effect you can expect a lower than average base potency and if you are constantly reapplying the regen because you are spamming heals then what is the point?

Maybe........they can........use cross-class Cure?

ಠ_ಠ

Could be like early 1.0 Sacrifice, that shit was insane.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Enygma Xii
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

We don't know the potency of the regen or shield effect. For all we know the shield effect might be the same as SCH thus they don't stack. And if its a weaker potency than Succor, its pointless to be in barrier stance with an SCH around. Vice versa its less effective to be in Healer stance with a WHM around if the regen doesnt stack.

I think that's kinda what they wanted to achieve, a 3rd healer that can compliment any other healer regardless of job.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Problem with that is buff stacking is rather inconsistent so there is reason to speculate. Multiple Succor effects will overwrite each other but multiple Regen effects from Regen and Medica II do stack as long as they are from different casters, ie. you can have 4 Regens and 4 Medica II effects on at once and heal for like 3k per tic if you had 4 WHMs. I guess we won't really know until June.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Could be like early 1.0 Sacrifice, that shit was insane.
    If AST can cast Sacrifice-equivalent, everyone else is in big trouble. Sacrifice was a boss ass bitch, and the loss of it is the sole reason why I never unlocked BLM in 1.0 (and still don't care about it in ARR).

That being said, what I think will happen is that DRK/MAC/AST will be incredibly OP at 3.0 release until the numbers get up, and then they'll be nerfed down to parity.

BRD was OP at 2.0 release to get the number of support job players up.
    WHM got a free unique mount (literally: a unicorn) just for unlocking the job.
    Leveling SCH meant you also got a LV50 DPS basically for free.
    NIN was OP at release to get people to drop their existing DPS job and jump over.

This isn't rocket science, and I can't even say I disagree with it.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Been some speaks about Sleipnir and Kirin being added to the list of horses that will fly. Is there any confirmation in any of the various interviews
    There was a dev post that at first Kirin and then all primal ponies would be able to fly. Sleipnir was not mentioned, but OTH he wasn't mentioned with the primal music patch but got added and being a cash shop mount they might want to offer more value to it by letting it fly.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    If AST can cast Sacrifice-equivalent, everyone else is in big trouble. Sacrifice was a boss ass bitch, and the loss of it is the sole reason why I never unlocked BLM in 1.0 (and still don't care about it in ARR).

That being said, what I think will happen is that DRK/MAC/AST will be incredibly OP at 3.0 release until the numbers get up, and then they'll be nerfed down to parity.
    Are we looking at the same DRK and subsequent PLD/WAR descriptions? Machinist/AST do sound OP as shit and with the 2 classes added in ARR being brokenly OP as shit they do have a track record of having really poor balance issues.

But DRK just looks really shitty on paper compared to the other tanks. Its DPS stance does not sound infinitely sustainable (yeah it has an MP restore weapon skill) but the fact that its offensive oGCDs drain MP mean it likely cannot stay in OT for the duration of a fight the way either PLD or WAR can. We also know jack shit about its defensive CDs outside of the Hallowed Ground/Holmgang equivalent which sounds awful. It offers equal to or less utility than Holmgang on a CD thats 2 minutes shorter than Hallowed Ground.

When you couple all of that with PLD and WARs DPS buffs, PLD + SCH combo offering an AoE tank LB1+ level of mitigation (Divine Veil + Deployment Tactics Adlo + Sacred Soil), and new guaranteed parry/block CDs for both jobs they need to offer up way more information on DRK because its starting to look really mediocre outside of how edgy and stylish it looks.

BRD was OP at 2.0 release to get the number of support job players up.
    BRD was OP at 2.0 release because it was the easiest job to wrap people's head around to min/max upon hitting 50 (literally tells you in tooltips that its main secondary is crit) and parse well on because it doesn't have a rotation. It had nothing to do with support job incentives otherwise there would have been some form of mount or promise of one in the early LLs the way there was for tank and possibly SCH. Once people started doing first coil, the fact that the default party comp was 2 bard was the further incentive to play it. Even in 2.0 once people started parsing and figured out how to optimize MNK/DRG/BLM gear and rotation they outperformed BRD very quickly before 2.05 even hit.

WHM got a free unique mount (literally: a unicorn) just for unlocking the job.
    You don't need to unlock WHM to get the mount. Just CNJ30. It was a reward for playing the only healer available for the first 30 levels of gameplay so that dungeon queues would be eased.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Re: BLM.
    We thought BLM was a bit too easy to play, so heres a new mechanic thats sole purpose is to be annoying.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast