1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 59 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 0 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 16 hours, 59 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 17 hours, 0 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

If you could enter/exit Zombie multiple times you could potentially have up to 30s of being unable to die from direct damage (enter Zombie as Living dead is about to wear and the effect would last almost 10s after Living Dead is over). While that would be difficult to pull off and of arguable usefulness, I don't see SE designing the ability that way.

Makes a lot more sense for the Living Dead buff to be traded for the Zombie effect, puts it pretty much perfectly in line between HG and Holmgang.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If the zombie Doom effect does not replace Living Dead, then there's no reason at all to believe that you would still be unable to die after Living Dead wears off if you still have Doom (because it's clearly Living Dead that's preventing you from dying, not Doom). So it would be capped at 20 seconds.

Furthermore, a non-replaced Living Dead could be implemented using mechanics we already know exist. Living Dead prevents your HP from dropping below 1 (Holmgang). If your HP would have dropped below 1, you get Doom status, which kills you when the timer expires (many examples of Doom already exist). Healing to full HP erases Doom (WP Hard boss).

If Living Dead is replaced by zombie Doom, then you have to NOT be killable in the switchover (in a game that already has problems with the timing of applying invuln buffs), and you could have an invuln mechanic that potentially lasts under 2 seconds (e.g. LD -> Flatten -> "non-optimized" Benediction).

It seems a lot simpler and more elegant to just leave LD buff active, and if it turns out that 20 seconds is a bit too long and needs to be detuned later, I'd still say that's working as intended for release.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    If the zombie Doom effect does not replace Living Dead, then there's no reason at all to believe that you would still be unable to die after Living Dead wears off if you still have Doom (because it's clearly Living Dead that's preventing you from dying, not Doom).
    When you take lethal damage (you must have already used Living Dead, so the buff is already active and ticking down), you turn into an undead sort of thing. During that period, you cannot die, but you will when the buff expires, unless you're healed to 100%.
    <_<

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

That's actually an interesting point. If the Zombie status has any sort of animation attached to it you could very easily run into an issue of dying anyway because the Zombie animation didn't finish before you took more damage. Imagine if you had a buff that automatically used Hallowed Ground when you took fatal damage, I'm sure a lot of the times you would die anyway due to animation delay and other whacky nonsense due to that.

It could still be 10s max duration if they just remove both buff/debuff once you hit 100% HP though, but from a mechanical standpoint it makes more sense to have Living Dead prevent death and Zombie just be the limiting factor.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Zombie like thing = Flesh Golem from Undying in Dota?

I can dream. I want muh guts hanging out in a pretty game like ARR. Lets ruffle those perfect hairstyles a bit.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Inb4 they just reuse the zombie/mummy model from Temple of Qarn HM.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Amumu curse of the sad mummy crying and bandage toss are set for the first patch.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Allow me to change emphasis:

When you take lethal damage (you must have already used Living Dead, so the buff is already active and ticking down), you turn into an undead sort of thing. During that period, you cannot die, but you will when the buff expires, unless you're healed to 100%.
    If you have to use Living Dead FIRST, and taking damage that would have killed you is what triggers zombie Doom, then Living Dead is what prevents you from dying. Q.E.D.

It's not like you somehow can die when LD is up but not after zombie Doom is up. LD definitely prevents you from dying, full stop.

The quote says verbatim that you have to have had taken fatal damage to turn undead, and while undead you cannot die.

If you're going to argue that then there's nothing left to argue.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Both sides are plausible based on the text we have, so yeah, until we see this in action, the best answer is:

Living Dead is going to work how YOU think it does, and by YOU, I mean the YOU that is reading this text.

There, everyone is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    There, everyone is happy.
    The fuck we are, I'm still bored as shit.

Why do you think I was even having this conversation to begin with.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

My bad, carry on then, lol

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

If Niiro unlocked PVP to get his final gear set maybe he wouldn't be so salty

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I thought Niiro was missing TWO gear sets, and only had 35

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    The quote says verbatim that you have to have had taken fatal damage to turn undead, and while undead you cannot die.

If you're going to argue that then there's nothing left to argue.
    The quote also says that you have to have Living Dead active BEFORE you take fatal damage, because otherwise you, um, just die.

Being unable to die while you have zombie Doom is not at all inconsistent with LD remaining active and protecting you from death (because we already know for a fact that LD protects you from death, or you'd be dead before you turned into a zombie).

I suppose you could be reading into that quote that the author specifically tested taking fatal damage after LD had worn off but before zombie Doom was wiped. I think that's a very ambitious interpretation.

And again: in this game (the one where PLDs die all the time even though they consumed HG cooldown), if there is a transition between invuln buffs, there would likely be a non-zero number of people who die because they took damage between LD being removed and zombie Doom being applied.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I thought Niiro was missing TWO gear sets, and only had 35
    wow sounds like he needs to unlock frontlines AND wolves' den then

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    And again: in this game (the one where PLDs die all the time even though they consumed HG cooldown), if there is a transition between invuln buffs, there would likely be a non-zero number of people who die because they took damage between LD being removed and zombie Doom being applied.
    I don't think this is an apt comparison... Your example of manually using Hallowed Ground is a far cry from the system switching from one buff to another. There are several instances in the game where a buff/debuff ends and grants a different buff/debuff (see: Berserk, Virus, that BLM thing nobody uses, etc.), so it's not like this is new. I'd like to believe that they can manage to not have a gap in the transition from one buff to another to allow people to die.

Not to poop on anyone's parade, but I'm not expecting ANY animation to go off when you go into a zombie state, so I'm not expecting any "animation delay". Maybe just that puff of smoke you get when you use up your perfect dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    wow sounds like he needs to unlock frontlines AND wolves' den then
    Fuck you Rocl.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

My only issue is the whole: "Curing you while you're an undead thing" when most if not all FFs before this curing something undead either negated it or killed it.

Nitpick, sure but it just reminds me of those little things that always added a bit of depth to battle variety.