BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Connecting PoE Cameras to a NAS

Trying to help my computer illiterate family business out with tech stuff and we've decided on getting a 8tb mirrored Synology NAS for documents but I'm also trying to incorporate the video surveillance into this as well.

So the basic idea I'm getting is either use wireless ip cameras that would have to be wired into the breaker boxes or plugged into outlets that would also have to be installed in these areas because there are none, or power over ethernet cameras right

So leaning towards the PoE ones for simplicity and not needing the extra wiring (just running ethernet cords I'm assuming), but connecting these to the NAS that appears to already have a good video management software package is my current area of confusion.

Can all of these cameras be ran to some kind of like 8 port PoE switch and then that is connected to the NAS? Not looking to have too many cameras, for now I cant see needing more than 8 but if in the future that went to 16, a larger switch would be all that is needed?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Why is the NAS needed for the camera? is the nas gonna be used to store recordings?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Yes, all cameras and NAS are connected to a PoE capable Switch, and if you have more than 7 cameras and the NAS all that will be required is either replacing the switch with a 16 port or just adding a second (linking them with a patch cable).

Edit: be aware that PoE tends to add quite a bit to the price of the switch and you need to be on the lookout for 8 port units that only do PoE to 4 of the ports. If the switch only supplies 30W to PoE equipment and the camera's use 10W each, only 2-3 cameras can be powered (at most). Do the math on your camera power requirements before purchasing a switch.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well, they could always go for PoE intectors to each camera, but then that gives multiple points of power interruption...

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by bungiefan View Post
    Well, they could always go for PoE intectors to each camera, but then that gives multiple points of power interruption...
    And will still need lots of power supply, which I think was one of the goal while he wanted to go poe

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    And will still need lots of power supply, which I think was one of the goal while he wanted to go poe
    My understanding is that there's no power where he wants cameras. So he could use a power injector from his patch room, or use a PoE switch.
    http://www.supplycctv.com/ProductDet...FUuQHwod0qwAhg
    I've used something like these in the past. And they can be piped to a NAS if I recall correctly. With software, you can set up different "views" of the same stream (ie, stick it in the middle of a showroom, and you can have one part "zoomed" into the door, another "zoomed" onto the registers, etc). This one draws max 5.3w.
    One of the cisco switches would probably do exactly what you need, but I'm not sure what your budget is. Most of the ciscos I've seen have sufficient wattage-per-port (for instance, the SG300-10p has 64w total, up to 15.4w per port). The SG300-10P is likely overkill, but it is managed, has gigabit, and allows layer3 capabilities.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Coren View Post
    My understanding is that there's no power where he wants cameras. So he could use a power injector from his patch room, or use a PoE switch.
    http://www.supplycctv.com/ProductDet...FUuQHwod0qwAhg
    I've used something like these in the past. And they can be piped to a NAS if I recall correctly. With software, you can set up different "views" of the same stream (ie, stick it in the middle of a showroom, and you can have one part "zoomed" into the door, another "zoomed" onto the registers, etc). This one draws max 5.3w.
    One of the cisco switches would probably do exactly what you need, but I'm not sure what your budget is. Most of the ciscos I've seen have sufficient wattage-per-port (for instance, the SG300-10p has 64w total, up to 15.4w per port). The SG300-10P is likely overkill, but it is managed, has gigabit, and allows layer3 capabilities.
    What I'm saying is if he does Powerinjector he will still need to put power cables in those So he also need to make sure to have enough powerbars/UPS there

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    What I'm saying is if he does Powerinjector he will still need to put power cables in those So he also need to make sure to have enough powerbars/UPS there
    Yeah, he'll need power. But most server/patch rooms I've been in have electricity enough to power a few cameras, whereas the ceiling in the middle of an office probably doesn't. It's not like cameras use much power anyway (not compared to a few 48 port switches running poe phones, for instance).

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Coren View Post
    Yeah, he'll need power. But most server/patch rooms I've been in have electricity enough to power a few cameras, whereas the ceiling in the middle of an office probably doesn't. It's not like cameras use much power anyway (not compared to a few 48 port switches running poe phones, for instance).
    I doubt he has a server room, he says it's for his family, so i'm expecting a house

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

OK, in every building I've been in, there are more outlets where you put equipment (office, bedroom, whatever), than in the ceiling where you want cameras. That better?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The diskstation finally came in and I have it all set up as our file server, I am in the process of testing out cameras now and I have another question.

So the synology nas has 2 lan connections, if the router is connected directly to one and then I have the other connected to the switch with all the cameras, what will happen if, for some reason, the internet went down but the power was still on? The cameras will all be POE connected to the switch so there is no wireless transmission there. Will the surveillance system still work normally while the internet is out, it just wont be accessible?

Is there any difference between connecting it this way as opposed to connecting everything (router/NAS/cameras) to the switch?

am a networking noob, the diskstation itself lists the LAN things as LAN1 LAN2 so afaik its two separate connections?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

AFAIK the two ethernet ports on the NAS are generally to use for link aggregation and your set-up would look more like:

I don't know why you would want to connect the NAS straight to the router.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I was not even aware of link aggregation but that definitely makes sense, thank you!