Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Got my email confirming that the reservation is set, July 29th gonna be a good day.

I'm guessing that the "free upgrade" key will act as an OEM copy; i.e. if you have too much hardware change around you'll have to buy another key to reinstall. It all seems kind of unclear otherwise though: seems like you have to upgrade an existing copy of Windows 7/8.1 to 10 before you can do a fresh install, and even in that there's conflicting answers as to whether you're allowed to do a fresh install at all. Not entirely sure if you get an actual key and the right to clean install or not p much, but I'm 99% positive that Windows 10 isn't technically yours "to keep", it's more like a rental until you switch out some stuff in your PC at which point you need to buy a new key.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Got my email confirming that the reservation is set, July 29th gonna be a good day.

I'm guessing that the "free upgrade" key will act as an OEM copy; i.e. if you have too much hardware change around you'll have to buy another key to reinstall. It all seems kind of unclear otherwise though: seems like you have to upgrade an existing copy of Windows 7/8.1 to 10 before you can do a fresh install, and even in that there's conflicting answers as to whether you're allowed to do a fresh install at all. Not entirely sure if you get an actual key and the right to clean install or not p much, but I'm 99% positive that Windows 10 isn't technically yours "to keep", it's more like a rental until you switch out some stuff in your PC at which point you need to buy a new key.
    Curious about that too myself. Thats a sort of worse case scenario though for me, as considering when using a SSD, you really won't notice any slowdown with the PC anyway no matter the amount of junk.

Also this

Edit

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9334/m...fter-upgrading

Looks like you can do a clean install after a upgrade, and for free as long as its the "same device"

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post

Edit

Looks like you can do a clean install after a upgrade, and for free as long as its the "same device"
    Great news. July 29th is going to be a good day, indeed (depending on how well it works after launch).

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Lepetit89 View Post
    Great news. July 29th is going to be a good day, indeed (depending on how well it works after launch).
    I still have fears at night of the ol win 95/98/2000 upgrades that went to shit in the process, its kinda why I'm semi hesitant also!

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I opted in for both my pc and laptop. Really want this right now though lol

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    Curious about that too myself. Thats a sort of worse case scenario though for me, as considering when using a SSD, you really won't notice any slowdown with the PC anyway no matter the amount of junk.

Edit

o_O Looks about as fast as my 8.1 with fast boot enabled.

Best setting 8.1 has to offer

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Can't seem to find a straight answer on Google. Does the upgrade use its own key, or does it just piggyback off your current OS's key? Eg. Can I go back to Win8.1 for whatever reason after upgrading to 10, or will it whine that my key isn't valid for Win8 anymore?

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

This sort of answers your question

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/605900073277325312

i mean, will my Windows 8.1 key work for Windows 10 or not?!
    You will not need your 8.1 key, the same device will reactivate once it has been successfully upgraded to 10.
    You can completely wipe the drive and reinstall windows 10 for free
    https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/605955258137722880

I'm presuming the key for windows 10 is stored by IP/mac address or something by MS considering a full wipe of a drive and they still "know" its the same PC to reinstall windows 10 for free.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

The old key (7 or 8.1) is "consumed" (their word) and a new key is issued. Type of key remains the same: OEM for OEM and retail for retail. I believe I've read the key will get saved with your store account but I'm not 100% on that.