+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Gestimate: how much time does an extra mover save?

We are going to be moving our apt. Into storage and I am on the mover hunt. I am debating between a company with 4 movers at $135 an hour, and one that has 3 movers at $120 an hour.

When we moved before (same distance) it was with two movers (not enough) and took about ten hours (2 hours are the double drive time for a total of four hours). I'd say we still have the same amount of stuff.

I know there is no real way to predict, but I figure some people might have a general idea more than me, especially if they have worked as a mover or knows someone who has.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Fuel is included in the price for each of those btw

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Not that it's a real word but...gestimate? Really?

Guesstimate...guestimate at worst.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    We are going to be moving our apt. Into storage and I am on the mover hunt. I am debating between a company with 4 movers at $135 an hour, and one that has 3 movers at $120 an hour.

When we moved before (same distance) it was with two movers (not enough) and took about ten hours (2 hours are the double drive time for a total of four hours). I'd say we still have the same amount of stuff.

I know there is no real way to predict, but I figure some people might have a general idea more than me, especially if they have worked as a mover or knows someone who has.
    Same sized trucks? I'd go with whichever has the biggest truck. You could interview them all and maybe do background checks?

More > less. Especially for only 15/hr more. You can have 2 large objects being moved at once instead of 1. Overall can save about an hour.

The only time it would be worth having less is if it only saves you about 30min. But anything over 1+ hour of loading and unloading you'll be better off with that extra person.

So if they save you 30min on each of the loading and unloading process you'll have saved money.

Assuming they can do it with the right sized truck.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

3 people would work, 2 can work on the heavy loads and 1 on the light loads.

Important to note that it can depend on each mover individually. 1 can be efficient enough to reduce time or 1 can stall the others and be a total idiot....adding time.

Check each companies reviews.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

get off your fat ass and do it yourself, much cheaper

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Trucks should be the same size. Both companies have excellent reviews. So yeah, I guess I will go with the four movers. Ty.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    Ok and who is going to watch my fucking kids? You?

Don't say friends, believe it or not, people work and I have literally only one day we're are free to do it before our lease is over.
    I have no fucking time. Shit.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

All yall are wrong as fuck 250 and 3 coked up Mexicans will pack and move you out in 2 hours just supply water bottles *I speak with experience*

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

As someone who had to beg a friend to help carry a couch up two flights of stairs, my next move I'm going with movers.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Damn you guys have some hella expensive movers where you live. Last time I moved the company I hired was $60 (total) with four guys, and I even had a coupon that knocked it down to $45. Granted, I live in a college town and people are moving all the damn time, so they probably were undercutting the competition like hell.

Anyway, anecdotal stuff aside, hire movers no matter what the cost. Just make sure they are insured.

Depending on time, not really. Truck rentals can be pretty expensive. Not to mention time. The amount of time it takes someone to actually get other fat asses to help and comit to a time you can hire people and not fucking worry about it.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

lol

yall think im serious

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Wife and I inquired with Two Men and a Truck. To move 100 miles with only a few rooms worth of stuff they wanted to charge $1600.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Wife and I inquired with Two Men and a Truck. To move 100 miles with only a few rooms worth of stuff they wanted to charge $1600.
    Those fuckers are expensive; we looked into them as well for just a local move. But I guess being a national chain that's expected?

I volunteered to help a friend move, but after a day and realizing there were only 2 of us (2 of us moved a couple rooms in ~6 hours), I made him get movers. It took 4 guys another 6 hours to move the rest of his shit. Ugh, cheapass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    When I moved from Charlotte to Raleigh, I went with a local mover. It cost us between 650-850(plus 60 in tips) for 3 rooms worth of stuff and 180ish miles. I think overall total time for the move was bout 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Coren View Post
    Those fuckers are expensive; we looked into them as well for just a local move. But I guess being a national chain that's expected?

I volunteered to help a friend move, but after a day and realizing there were only 2 of us (2 of us moved a couple rooms in ~6 hours), I made him get movers. It took 4 guys another 6 hours to move the rest of his shit. Ugh, cheapass.

Yeah, I just went through this. Me and my GF took nearly a week to move from our home to a new home just 3 houses away. In retrospect I shoulda just hired movers even for such a short trip, cause now my knee is killing me.

3-4(fitter) people probably coulda gotten it done in just a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gokku View Post
    All yall are wrong as fuck 250 and 3 coked up Mexicans will pack and move you out in 2 hours just supply water bottles *I speak with experience*
    lol @ the way you put this but no joke... should just hit up your local Home Depot and talk with the Mexican dudes who are almost guaranteed to be posted up outside.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

We're going to be going from a house to an apartment and if I can help it I'd like movers since wifey is set on living on the top floor of wherever we move. Hopefully I'll find some decent priced locals.