+ Reply to Thread
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Scripts slowing down Firefox

So after some digging around I've found out that Firefox seems to lock up on script heavy sites such as YouTube and it's not a hardware issue as much as it is Firefox since when I load sites in Chrome, they come up fine. I was wondering if anyone experienced this and knew of a fix other than moving over to Chrome.

Thanks in advance.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

About the only thing you can do is start blocking scripts with requestpolicy, noscript, or umatrix. Amazon is pretty bad as well on firefox, locks the browser every time you go to view something for a good 10-20 seconds as it tries to load shit. Does nothing of the sort in chrome. If you block certain domains then firefox becomes just as quick, but pictures and such are no longer clickable.

For youtube, get something to disable flash for it. Html5 is so much better it's not even funny, but youtube loves to default into flash. It's obvious which is currently being used when you right click in the video's frame. Try out "Flash Control" on firefox, or really any plugin that let's you control whether flash is on or not. Might help.

For general blocking of anything/everything, get ublock-origin and umatrix on both chrome and firefox and block to your heart's content.

BG Level

That sucks to hear. I was hoping it was just a setting or something without going batshit crazy on blocking everything left or right.

And yeah I got FF using HTML5 for YouTube.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Weird, I'm using ff w/o issues... Except when viewing live streams the 'stand by' w/ black section won't go way no matter what.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    About the only thing you can do is start blocking scripts with requestpolicy, noscript, or umatrix. Amazon is pretty bad as well on firefox, locks the browser every time you go to view something for a good 10-20 seconds as it tries to load shit. Does nothing of the sort in chrome. If you block certain domains then firefox becomes just as quick, but pictures and such are no longer clickable.

For youtube, get something to disable flash for it. Html5 is so much better it's not even funny, but youtube loves to default into flash. It's obvious which is currently being used when you right click in the video's frame. Try out "Flash Control" on firefox, or really any plugin that let's you control whether flash is on or not. Might help.

For general blocking of anything/everything, get ublock-origin and umatrix on both chrome and firefox and block to your heart's content.
    Bolded is hysterical to me (to be clear I'm not saying you are wrong). I just started working at Amazon on Monday and their ENTIRE internal EVERYTHING runs on firefox. They have custom plugins and addons and extensions written by Amazon staff you can only get from the internal wiki. Internet explorer and chrome are the devil. I love firefox, so it isn't an issue to me, but pretty funny.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not saying I don't like firefox either, but I don't use just one browser. I use 4 or so, each with probably 2-4 profiles each. Things like chrome, opera (old presto as a standalone and the newer one), IE with microsoft stuff, firefox, and different profiles in opera, chrome, and firefox to have a few accounts and stuff logged in at the same time. Probably a few dozen to 40+ tabs open in any browser session. Not to mention whatever else I have running. I make use of my machine's ram.

Just tried surfing amazon on a fresh, no plugin profile. Still bad though not as bad as what I see normally. It just isn't fast like IE or Chrome, which I always thought weird. Huge speed up when you kill its attempts to fetch tons of extra crap. Scrolling is also a ton smoother with the blocks.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Problem persists even with all extensions disabled?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Funnily enough (and believe me I'm a minimalist and keep my systems in tip top shape) Amazon is behaving wonky on my Firefox too @ 38.0.5

This happened this 3 days ago, was fine last week (purchased a DVD). I notice now when it's loaded, something will cause the tab to rapidly keep loading (the tab icon changes very quickly between the amazon icon to the arrow/refresh icon). Nothing's changed on my system. I blame Amazon lol

Still, I don't care/no big deal. I also use 5 browsers at work (IE8 (mandatory for internal apps), IE11, FF, Chrome, Opera). But I was reading this thread yesterday and thinking nothing of it until I visited Amazon today by accident and noticed the weird behaviour, so I thought I'd chime in here.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Problem persists even with all extensions disabled?
    Funny, I just disabled Skype and it seems fine now.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Download and use ghostery on all your browsers (free). Go to the options and select to block all ads, all trackers etc. your browser will be ten times faster and free from all the junk.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

ghostery proved to be a large part of my FF problems, slowdown, lag, etc. could be a conflict between it and NS/AB, but i ended up removing it.

they also sell your data, so you're getting it in one hole somehow or another.

http://www.businessinsider.com/evido...rtisers-2013-6

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by jpilot View Post
    Download and use ghostery on all your browsers (free). Go to the options and select to block all ads, all trackers etc. your browser will be ten times faster and free from all the junk.
    Ublock origin is the superior adblocker for all browsers it supports, which are firefox and anything chromium-based. Free, open source, and a far more comprehensive set of block lists out of the box than anything else.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

No problems with slowdown here at youtube/facebook/amazon/etc on firefox 26.0 with noscript. :3

I also don't have flash installed. (Also over 100 tabs at all times.)

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

More like... my noscrpt TO BLOCK scripts, is slowing down my firefox, but its not too noticeable until I've left the browser open for about a week using sandbox mode. Before sandbox mode it would take about 2-3 days (memory seems to bloat slowly constantly without sandbox mode for whatever reason).

This is with or without hundreds of tabs/browsers open.

Using firefox 41.0a1 64bit