+ Reply to Thread

Graphics Cards REF vs non REF?

For the GTX 980 my Graphics card box contains "REF" on the front, the picture of the box in question that was purchased on amazon originally did not say REF.

Is there any difference between the two?

Is one better than the other?

Also before I open it, does the ACX2.0 have a REF as well? I'm hearing people say the one fan version is the REF. (I honestly don't even know which version runs cooler?)

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Sounds like a Reference card. I don't know too much about this but i guess it is different parts and layout from NVidia's original design. That's what Google gave me.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Random guess would be that ref just refers to the reference cooling system nvidia uses, so a single fan with a mostly closed case that blows the hot air directly out of the tower.
    IMHO the multi-fan cooling systems are superior, even though they spread more heat into the tower they run cooler at lower noise. The ref coolers can have insane cooling capabilities but sound like air plane turbines...

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Reference doesn't necessarily have to be the default fan. It's the default PCB layout. OEMs will use reference boards and install their own fans all the time. Double fans/blowers/etc can all be on a reference GPU depending on the OEM and model.

In non-tech speak it simply means where everything is laid out on the board. It's important because fans have strategically placed heatsinks/etc based on where certain parts are, and third party coolers almost always use the reference setup. So if you use a non-reference GPU and try to replace the cooling (with one such third party fan), at best you will have sub-optimal cooling and at worst it won't fit at all.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Also, blower style coolers depending on your case and airflow can be just as quiet and can be superior cooling options to some. Several websites provide a nice list/spreadsheet of fan idle and load Temps as well as decibels. Newer blower fans are proving to be a lot quieter than those of the past, and in situations like my own, actually provide better cooling.