BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Antivirus recommendations?

I have month left on my kaspersky sub and I've heard various people talk down upon them in recent times for some reason (and it seems to not let my ACT plugin play nice), so I'm wondering what BG likes to use?

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

MSE, AVG Free, Avast depending on the OS in question.

*edit* ESET products are good if you are willing to actually pay for AV.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I use:

On a serious note, I found Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) to be completely adequate as long as you're somewhat savvy.

I find AVG and Avast too whiny and annoying for my tastes, as well as consuming more resources then necessary (noticable on slower machines).

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I just use MSE, and if I suspect i have something, I download malware bytes, run it, and uninstall.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Only Malware Bytes for me. Been the only "security" on my pc for over two years now and no issues.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Only Malware Bytes for me. Been the only "security" on my pc for over two years now and no issues.
    Don't you have to pay to get the "active scanning/protection" mode? Or have they changed it of recent?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Don't you have to pay to get the "active scanning/protection" mode? Or have they changed it of recent?
    Probably. I just use the free trial. While your "Common Sense Software" post is obviously a joke, there is a lot of truth to it. Obviously a bit harder if you have children in the home and/or multiple pc/user in the home. Example would be letting my mother use my pc while I was at work (this was a long time ago when I had a Gateway laptop with like, 2gb ram and an equally stupid processor). I come home and she locked it up from having so many IE windows open (yes I told her, FF/Chrome only). When I reset and was logged in, I had so many random programs installed on my pc (mostly flash players) it was ridiculous.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    30 day trial of active scanning, but you can still manually update and tell it to run and clean once the 30 day trial is done. I just install/uninstall as needed.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Have used Avast for years and I'm happy with it. Not quite what I'd recommend for absolutely not tech-savvy folks since some of the payment traps and popups can confuse them easily, but with a little guidance ("yes, you can click that", "no, don't accept that", "you can ignore that, it's just commercials") even my parents managed to come by with it

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    I just use MSE, and if I suspect i have something, I download malware bytes, run it, and uninstall.
    This is exactly what I do.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I'm pretty ok with keeping issues away during normal use, but after getting burned in the ffxi mysterytour thing way back when I like to have a little extra to fall back on. And I do need to find something that will be good at keeping clueless parents out of trouble (and to that end I'm ok with it costing some dollars).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    I'm pretty ok with keeping issues away during normal use, but after getting burned in the ffxi mysterytour thing way back when I like to have a little extra to fall back on. And I do need to find something that will be good at keeping clueless parents out of trouble (and to that end I'm ok with it costing some dollars).
    There seems to be tons of AV software for either free after rebate or extremely affordable. Keep an eye on Slickdeals.net for it.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

MSE.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If you want no nonsense, nor anything to configure, get bitdefender free. It's what I install on all my tech-tarded friends' comps now since there's nothing to configure: just install it, register it with a 10minute email account, and forget it. Avast, avg, avira, etc, all have a lot of options and other things that get in the way of folks who have little idea what they're doing. Bitdefender free is even more straightforward than MSE, and actually does its job.

Main problem I've had with MSE is that occasionally it eats of an entire cpu core doing who knows what for hours or forever. I've run into a number of my friends' comps where it slowed to a crawl due to MSE. It's updates are also tied into windows updates, so if you turn windows updates off or to not download but tell you when it's new (because fuck that one reboot where you need the comp now but it takes 2 hours because of fucking auto updates), MSE will complain and sometimes shit the bed. Any AV not mse will solve that problem though, but BD free is near idiot proof.

Though, ultimately the new games in town are exploits that antivirus programs won't protect you against, namely social engineering and browser related. Browsers you can help protect with things like ublock origin, adblock pro (careful on the names, lots of fake ones around), umatrix, noscript, and the like. Social engineering, that's where common sense comes in and not being in a rush to pirate the latest software or see the latest shitty link some dork on facederp sends you. Loads of downloads and sites are laced, so don't trust shit unless you have a little common sense.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Buy a mac.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Spybot, anti malware, mcfee online scan, microsoft's thing if I feel something odd is going on usually.

Virustotal.com for any executablish files I download

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

AVG Ultimate for two years & unlimited devices. Use promo code EMCATKK59 at checkout. $19.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832620142

I still like avira

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I run avast. Run spybot and malware every month or so. Seems to be running fine.

Combine this with 'no script' and 'Adblock' as well. Sadly
    for the non tech savvy 'no script' is annoying to train. But I think this is the most important software to install.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries