1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 53 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 6 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -4 hours, -7 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 13 hours, 6 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    >The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Some kind of auto face-targeting macro?

This is the Reddit thread that spurred on my question:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/commen..._the_opposite/

Direck link to video: http://www.twitch.tv/elyne_evarle/c/6651573

For those who can't watch the video: the BLM in this PvP match has some kind of 100% uptime on face-targeting even while he's moving, while using legacy controls and no lock-on. The face-targeting begins immediately when he selects his target and persists for the entire duration whenever he's targeting an enemy.

I'm guessing he's using some kind of outside program or macro to make this happen. Anyone know what it is?

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

He is just spamming a face-target macro using a script. It could be a built-in keyboard macro that does this or an external program like AHK.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

edit: never mind, talking about something different

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Looks like some sort of AHK being used to spam face target. 100ms delay between uses seems to replicate it close enough.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

The only thing is that the constant face-targeting only seems to occur when he's targeting enemies. There are sections in this video along with sections in his other Twitch videos where his face-targeting doesn't occur on friendly targets.

This could be hotkey-related sure, maybe some kind of toggle at work, but why would he toggle off something like AHK for short durations mid-PvP match?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kicoe Vashai
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Odin

He's using a looped macro for that, can set it up pretty easily with a Razer Naga and Synapse (what he is using) or any other hardware with macro support I guess. He's also answering questions in his stream about the facetarget stuff and how to set it up usually.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sakura Ephemera
    FFXIV Server
    Brynhildr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I use an MMO mouse, so the buttons on the mouse correspond to 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Using autohotkey (or the software that comes with the mouse), you can program these numbers to spam not only the number itself but additional keys as well. Whenever I hold down "1," it will spam "1" and "page up." I have "page up" keybound to face target. This allows you to run around the boss on melee or ranged and always face the target without requiring you to be locked on. This is particularly useful on BRD because it allows you to literally run backwards while still shooting forwards (at least until expansion!).

You can also just program AHK to spam "page up" every 25-100ms. Unfortunately, this seems to slow down the activation of oGCD abilities like mudras, so I don't do this myself.

So anyway, the BLM probably has AHK programmed to spam his face target key while he is spamming his fire (spell) key.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Only thing I can think of is the automatically face on action setting in the character settings, targeting menu. Does that maintain your facing during the cast at all? I'm not a caster so I don't know how that works for them.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

No, it doesn't. There is a face target keybind that keeps your character facing the target built into the game, but the command ends whenever you move and it's fairly shitty to work with as casting can still get clipped.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

On a somewhat related note, gamepad users can also do this using Xpadder. Xpadder can be configured to have a gamepad button press additional keys, so you can just bind face target to something else and use Xpadder's turbo feature to spam it as you cast. Can also use this function to make "macros" that don't suffer the lack of ability to queue actions that in-game ones do.