1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 23 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 36 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 12 hours, 23 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 21 hours, 36 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hitome Naoki
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Uh..wow. Didn't expect them to keep the cast time reduction.

Ewer seems to be restoring around 400 MP per tick as well.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by HitomeOfBismarck View Post

Uh..wow. Didn't expect them to keep the cast time reduction.

Ewer seems to be restoring around 400 MP per tick as well.
    265 but who's counting. ( ' - '

THE FAIRY CAT
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snoctopus Snoctopus
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Zholi View Post
    265 but who's counting. ( ' - '
    Is 265 the number for sure? 1325 MP over 15 seconds isn't horrible, I suppose.

It would be more with Celestial OP and RR buffs (or less, as well).

THE FAIRY CAT
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snoctopus Snoctopus
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Do we have any word on the TP regen? I'm assuming we'll be burning Spire for RR more than Ewer, unless the TP regen is something crazy. RR into AoE for spire is still a buff to the card, IMO.

Spire was around 30tp a tic. Pretty sure it's still RR food.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Dude, what. It's saving my tanks and melee in Turn 1 Savage right now. It's basically a mini-goad. How is that better suited for RR?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

how much total tp does it give? as NIN I much rather get the TP than attack bonus since I'm running on fumes alot these days

Quote Originally Posted by Uryuu View Post
    Dude, what. It's saving my tanks and melee in Turn 1 Savage right now. It's basically a mini-goad. How is that better suited for RR?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    As in I just threw a spire on myself to see how much it gave. Element of doubt there, stop jumping on my dick first chance you get.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

You two are a match made in heaven. When's the wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    You two are a match made in heaven. When's the wedding?
    He'd have to get in line, I have a long list of adoring fans.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    how much total tp does it give? as NIN I much rather get the TP than attack bonus since I'm running on fumes alot these days
    If it's 15s that'd be 150 TP. Time Dilation would add 3, maybe 4 ticks?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

50 AST now, entirely through FATEs, so could use a couple logic checks.

First, probably overthinking it but what is the ideal card combo to have for opening a boss fight? AoE Balance would be my first guess, but how about AoE Spear?

Second, card methodology in a dungeon or a boss fight. What's my angle? When do I want to Shuffle/Spread/RR something vs using it? My guess would be like

Dungeon: RR or Shuffle Bole (if doing small pulls) or Arrow/Spear(?), Spire on a TP job if needed for AoE, use Balance on demand. Ewer?

Boss: Spread Bole or Balance for tankbusters or burst phases. Maybe spread Ewer, or would you just use that? Do you even RR anything if it's a continuous fight, or just throw it out?

Had a random thought when I saw the thread bumped:

There should have only been 3 cards with 2 effects each (an Astral effect and an Umbral effect, bam) and when you draw the card you can choose which of the 2 effects you want.

Less RNG, same amount of variety.

Check please, SE.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    50 AST now, entirely through FATEs, so could use a couple logic checks.

First, probably overthinking it but what is the ideal card combo to have for opening a boss fight? AoE Balance would be my first guess, but how about AoE Spear?

Second, card methodology in a dungeon or a boss fight. What's my angle? When do I want to Shuffle/Spread/RR something vs using it? My guess would be like

Dungeon: RR or Shuffle Bole (if doing small pulls) or Arrow/Spear(?), Spire on a TP job if needed for AoE, use Balance on demand. Ewer?

Boss: Spread Bole or Balance for tankbusters or burst phases. Maybe spread Ewer, or would you just use that? Do you even RR anything if it's a continuous fight, or just throw it out?
    Never spread bole or ewer. Five % DR or a low potency refresh aren't gonna help or save anyone.

Best way to start an encounter in my practice has been either extended bole/enhanced bole on the tank for extended dps uptime from yourself in dungeons.

For raids I'd try to get a spread balance + celestial opposition to extend the buff on everyone.

In all honesty, royal roading during a fight is personal choice and usually only happens during a spear or spire draw, but even those can have limited use. Everything else you either want to use or spread to yourself.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Honestly haven't screwed around with AoE Spear that much myself, as its effects are 1. not very noticeable to myself, unlike all other cards and 2. not retroactive on CDs that are already ticking down so it really heavily depends on what use you think you'll get out of it over Balance in a given situation. I think using Spear (aside from on yourself for your own recasts since you can actually control which abilities of yours are going on CD) probably would be best at the beginning of a boss fight when everyone is hitting their big CDs. It's easily the most misunderstood card currently and I struggle with its usage.

Quote Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
    Never spread bole or ewer.
    o_O
    Granted when I spread Ewer I usually end up not needing it, and it's best for long and difficult fights rather than dungeon junk. But when you're low mp you have 3 choices. Lumi, Lightspeed, and Ewer. If those first 2 aren't up you really, really want to Ewer yourself. It helps. Whoever you're healing with will also be very grateful for Ewer if they're burning through their mp at a good speed. SMNs like it because free MP and it can help your bard keep songs up for a bit, but it might still screw with BLM math, not really sure on that.

Bole is amazing to have spread before trash pulls. Bole + A.helios + A. Benefic + time dilation on tank and you're good to dps for a while. Obviously you're going to get a lot more out of ewer or bole if they're extended.

Personally, and this goes for most fights, I'm usually gonna try to RR ewer/spire and spread Balance because it can potentially benefit everyone. Other spreads really depends on what you think will make the fight easier. But expanded Balance is useful literally all the time so unless I have some specific alternative in mind that's the combo I'm always going to aim for. After that, deciding what to shuffle is usually fairly easy if you have an idea of what you want/need.

RR during ongoing fights really depends on what card you pull when your RR recast is up and how long the rest of the fight is going to be. Obviously you don't want to RR near the end of a fight so it's just a little basic math to figure out rest of fight duration + card pull recast. All situational and based on your own judgment. I will sometimes throw out un-RR'd cards depending on circumstances (usually balance on highest dps or ewer on myself).

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Astrologian Discussion Thread: (Insert Yu-Gi-Oh! joke here)

I meant spread as in the whole party as that's what thought he asked about sorry

SE kinda fucked up on giving us an action called Spread then making the RR effect Spread.

Ideal cards and what you get are usually so far apart that you really just need to get used to the logic behind it.

Generally though, all classes can benefit from Balance or Arrow. Along with Bole, these are the cards I primarily try to Spread (Balance/Bole mostly) before a fight starts. Doesn't really matter what RR you have generally unless you have the time to get something specific. For dungeons/4man I try to avoid RR AoE as much as possible, for 8 man it's a lot better but only if you can Balance/Arrow (and then you're going to use Celestial OP/TimeD anyway).

Balance on the best DPS, generally easiest card to use.
    Bole on tanks (along with Regen and TimeD, gives you a lot of time to nuke).
    Arrow on any class, even healers can benefit from lower cast times. I generally use this on DPS.
    Spear on yourself or SMN/BRD (I haven't checked BRD or jobs with lots of oGCDs but I'd think it would be good for them) or tanks, generally you can't predict how people use CDs until you know the fight better so it requires a bit of communication for other people. On yourself you want to use it before you L.Aether, Celestial OP and Lightspeed. If you're hesitating with using it though just Shuffle or RR.
    Ewer on anyone having MP issues, usually this means yourself.
    Spire is good for any situation that relies on AoE damage, but generally better to Shuffle.

For RR during fights, only if you can't Spread the card you have and can't use the card you're holding immediately (getting balance before a boss goes into fuck you mode for instance). If there's something in that fight you know is troublesome I generally try to setup my Spread and RR effects to counter that ASAP.

So, I thought this was kind of hilarious more than anything but I just got kicked tonight from a DF Pharos for being an AST. The DPS went burn face on the first boss and we all died. I tried to tell them that you have to kill the adds, and that you can't really burn through that boss like others. The MCH said that I just needed to play a different healer class because obviously the problem is super gimp AST and not letting adds run fuck wild (rich, coming from a MCH). Mechanics are hard. Requeued and got put back into the same party. I laughed my ass off. I just thought it was hilarious that people actually have this holier than thou attitude towards AST. Yes, it has problems, but I love the job and it's definitely viable as a healer. Especially in a lv50 dungeon ffs. I dunno, I guess that was just my first bit of real AST discrimination. (Alert the tumblrz). Honestly, as much as people make fun of the DF this was actually my first really negative DF encounter in general. I guess I've just been lucky.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Woozer View Post
    So, I thought this was kind of hilarious more than anything but I just got kicked tonight from a DF Pharos for being an AST. The DPS went burn face on the first boss and we all died. I tried to tell them that you have to kill the adds, and that you can't really burn through that boss like others. The MCH said that I just needed to play a different healer class because obviously the problem is super gimp AST and not letting adds run fuck wild (rich, coming from a MCH). Mechanics are hard. Requeued and got put back into the same party. I laughed my ass off. I just thought it was hilarious that people actually have this holier than thou attitude towards AST. Yes, it has problems, but I love the job and it's definitely viable as a healer. Especially in a lv50 dungeon ffs. I dunno, I guess that was just my first bit of real AST discrimination. (Alert the tumblrz). Honestly, as much as people make fun of the DF this was actually my first really negative DF encounter in general. I guess I've just been lucky.
    tbh tough AST sucks at lvl 50 dungeons compared to sch and whm. they have no existing aoe dmg form at that lvl ._. (unless you count blizzard 2 ¬.¬). I am fulltiming SCH again since i got it up to 60 2 weeks ago only had AST 60 and the difference is just insane on how much freedom i have to punch out DPS on SCH without worrying much
    AST isnt bad but yeah... there is still something missing sadly that the card system isnt able to provide to bring them on an equal lvl as the other 2 healers.

Aside from that your DF group for pharos sirius was serously fucked up!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast