1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 9 hours, 21 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 14 hours, 38 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 2 hours, 21 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 7 hours, 38 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Knight Discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

ahhhh drain breaks combo?

fuck it then >.>

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Dudes are gonna miss that double Dark Arts bug. I know I will.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

I'd actually be surprised if they even fix it, would have to involve some pretty big changes to how the game handles situations like this, which is beyond SE. I guess they could probably make some band-aid changes like making all the skills that use Dark Arts buff apply almost immediately rather than having the damage and effect go off at the end of the animation (which would actually be nice and is something every fucking class has been clamoring for since 2.0).

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jahaudant Rivea
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    I'd actually be surprised if they even fix it, would have to involve some pretty big changes to how the game handles situations like this, which is beyond SE. I guess they could probably make some band-aid changes like making all the skills that use Dark Arts buff apply almost immediately rather than having the damage and effect go off at the end of the animation (which would actually be nice and is something every fucking class has been clamoring for since 2.0).
    Isn't this basically what everyone said about the BLM Flare thing?

If anything they'll just do something similar to the AF/UI fix, yea.

The effect of removing DA will execute immediately when using a skill that consumes it, but the actual effect of the skill will still take place at the same point in the animation.

Which, as any BLM can tell you, means you'll be able to lose DA -and- not get the benefit of it when trying to execute actions in quick succession, look forward to it!

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jahaudant Rivea
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Which, as any BLM can tell you, means you'll be able to lose DA -and- not get the benefit of it when trying to execute actions in quick succession, look forward to it!
    This actually happens?

Fuck.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

oh god fuck that if that happens lol

all the more reason to go back to war. at least till they nerf fell cleave, too

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by kisada View Post
    at least till they nerf fell cleave, too
    ~7000 Crit. Fell Cleaves. So fucking tasty.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

The following issues have been addressed.
    ・An issue wherein the dark knight action "Dark Arts" would apply its effect to multiple actions used in sequence.
    RIP DRK, you were fun whilst you lasted.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jahaudant Rivea
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    ~7000 Crit. Fell Cleaves. So fucking tasty.
    That burst is nice. I think I'll do WAR next rather than PLD.

I've been parsing my DRK in full STR recently and I'm around 850 dummy DPS without a Ravana weapon, food, or STR pots which seems to be roughly the same as WARs in equal gear. The problem seems to be that I shit out my TP like it's the morning after curry night and I'm out of the fight in less than 2.5 minutes - not even enough to meet the 3min parse standard people seem to like - while WAR can go on for well over 3, maybe 4 minutes.

Then again, I'm abusing the double DA bug...

I would really like to see some kind of TP regen added in somewhere. Anywhere. Carve and Split maybe.

Edit:

RIP DRK, you were fun whilst you lasted.
    Fuck it.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I transitioned my Main to DRK, in hopes to enjoy a new job and have a job of value to find a decent raid crew on a new server. From what I'm reading, DRK seems to be below average -- people were questioning the job even with the bug of using Dark Arts. Now that it has been addressed, it seems DRK is just a fancy name, a somewhat-squishy tank that uses STR in build, lowering potential HP.

I don't really want to be a permanent OT either, especially when WAR is better at that anyways.

That being said, I'll give it a few more weeks as I work on SMN to 60. Still interested in the abilities DRK60 use tanking raids and if you have created any macros. Always looking to tweek my habits.

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm banking on DRK and MCH being adjusted and buffed/altered over the next few months. This dev team is much more in touch with the player base than 11's ever was. Im keeping it as my main tank and seeing how it goes. Its honestly too much fun to play.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven19 View Post
    I'm banking on DRK and MCH being adjusted and buffed/altered over the next few months. This dev team is much more in touch with the player base than 11's ever was. Im keeping it as my main tank and seeing how it goes. Its honestly too much fun to play.
    I want my main to Samurai, whenever it is released. Until then, I just want to be useful haha.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

There's absolutely nothing squishy about DRK. It'll be perfectly fine to MT any piece of content. It has plenty of cooldowns, some of which are really fucking strong (sup 30% magic DR on a 1 minute CD) in certain fight. Would be nice if it brought a tiny bit more utility to a raid setting, since it's next to naught if you have a MNK, but if you don't have one Delirium Blade is great,. especially if we get another magic damage heavy set of raid encounters. There's also absolutely no reason you have to use STR in your build, it's just... better on every single tank, not just DRK. Optimally you get as much HP as you need to clear and then stack STR from then on. WAR and PLD both should be doing this too in decent groups and DRK is no different.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

So in the process of nerfing doubletap Dark Arts, they also fucked it up so Dark Passenger and Abyssal Drain only apply their DA bonus to the first mob hit.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jahaudant Rivea
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    So in the process of nerfing doubletap Dark Arts, they also fucked it up so Dark Passenger and Abyssal Drain only apply their DA bonus to the first mob hit.
    Well, that actually really really sucks. DA DP after Blood Price drops was great mitigation on massive pulls.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    That just made me sad panda, was so useful on trash mob packs.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

There's absolutely nothing squishy about DRK. It'll be perfectly fine to MT any piece of content. It has plenty of cooldowns, some of which are really fucking strong (sup 30% magic DR on a 1 minute CD) in certain fight. Would be nice if it brought a tiny bit more utility to a raid setting, since it's next to naught if you have a MNK, but if you don't have one Delirium Blade is great,. especially if we get another magic damage heavy set of raid encounters. There's also absolutely no reason you have to use STR in your build, it's just... better on every single tank, not just DRK. Optimally you get as much HP as you need to clear and then stack STR from then on. WAR and PLD both should be doing this too in decent groups and DRK is no different.
    Well, I am happy to be wrong... In all seriousness. As a new tank, how much VIT/STR would you suggest for DRK60? I was planning to put all bonus into STR with right accessories STR based with VIT back-ups.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

If you can stomach the investment and/or find crafters who won't charge you your firstborn, I feel melded i150 (Slaying with VIT 4 4 3 3 3) will be the best investment. Beats even i200 accessories from what projections imply it should be; you would be trading ~50 VIT for ~150 STR compared to full Fending. You can play cheaper with 4/1 or 3/2 split of VIT/STR accessories. The only downside with melded is maybe having accuracy concerns down the line, but I think it can be managed.

Put all 35 attribute points in STR, no questions asked. The total of attribute now is barely an accessory's worth.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Depends entirely on what content you're doing and the competence of your group, which is just something you have to get a feel for yourself. Flexibility is pretty important to optimize any of the tank classes. For dungeons and Bismarck Extreme right now I just use 35 points in STR and full STR accessories, for Ravana EX I swap 3 accessories out for VIT just so I can safely eat the damage split attack solo. If I had full i180 on the left side I could probably get away with less VIT on the right. For Alexander Savage progression if you're intending on MTing you're probably going to want to have a full set of VIT accessories just for progressions sake, learning fights is a lot easier when you have a bigger safety net with your HP to take some stress off the healers. By the time you've learned the better part of a fight and are comfortable with it you'll probably have a good idea of how much VIT you can shave off whilst still being perfectly fine main tanking. As Seravi said, crafted accessories with melds can also be huge for tanks. Personally I'm holding off until Alex Savage to get some just so I have a better idea of what kind of gear they'll be comparable to, I assume they'll add at least i160 ones at some point too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast