+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Head-set Advice     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Gaming Head-set Advice

After 12 years of gaming on "stock" keyboard, mouse, and headset... I decided to upgrade to my stuff.

I bought a Razer Black Widow Stealth keyboard, and a Razer Naga mouse.

I held off on the mic because I do not know exactly what I will get out of it. For the past 5 years, I have played FFXIV without sound -- respecting the space of my roommates, etc.

Any recommendations? I looked at turtle beach, razer and triton.
    These seem to be the best deal since they're all expensive.
    http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-kraken-71-classic

I have the new Beats Studio 2 headphones. Someone mentioned to just use headphones I have, and buy a $20 mic to talk into.

Thank you in advance!

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Topic would be better suited in Tech or Gaming forums more than likely. As a starting point, http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/125...=1#post6400490

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Oh, if no ones mentions, FFXIV is retarded about sound priority. If you wish to swap audio sources, do it before loading the game. If you wanna switch in-game, no dice.

Yup.... I use voicemeeter banana so I don't have to quit the game every time I use a headset.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Oh, if no ones mentions, FFXIV is retarded about sound priority. If you wish to swap audio sources, do it before loading the game. If you wanna switch in-game, no dice.
    That's a great point. I use a program called SoundSwitch which allows the user to set a hotkey for switching which sound device is the primary. Very convenient and easy to use.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Artifact View Post

I have the new Beats Studio 2 headphones. Someone mentioned to just use headphones I have, and buy a $20 mic to talk into.
    This will be your cheapest option. Buying a gaming headset is about convenience over quality.

Two exceptions where you might want to buy a headset.

1. If you have a really good sound card, you may get something out getting a pair of Astro's which have higher quality speakers than normal gaming headsets. They are nothing you can't get in a normal high quality pair of plain headphones, but if you don't want to keep switching them onto your computer but want good quality sound on your computer set, maybe it's worth the luxury tax for you.

2. If you play a lot of games where you benefit from directional sound cues then you may want a surround sound headset. These come in both virtual USB types and surround sound sets that have multiple positional speakers inside the headset cup. From experience, you actually really can tell which speaker the sound comes from, and therefore where the source is relative to you. Regular headsets do a pretty good job emulating this, but the investment may be worth it if you play primarily FPS style games. It wasn't too useful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    That's a great point. I use a program called SoundSwitch which allows the user to set a hotkey for switching which sound device is the primary. Very convenient and easy to use.
    I'm guessing the sound switching to headset in game works with this? I'll try it out sometime... thanks!

Edit: seems from the site it only switches the primary like if you do it manually... you still have to restart the game with this.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    I'm guessing the sound switching to headset in game works with this? I'll try it out sometime... thanks!

Edit: seems from the site it only switches the primary like if you do it manually... you still have to restart the game with this.
    I haven't tried it with a game, but with switching from my pc speakers to tv it worked great. It may depend if your headset is usb?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I bought the Turtle Beach Earforce 500P for my PS4 a year or so ago (100$). They are wireless and if you have an Digital Optical SPDIF out on your mobo or soundcard the emulated 7.1 surround works great with ffxiv. You can hear which direction leviathan splashes and where Bahamut comes down for db's in T13. They are not top of the line but it works well. The advertised battery life of 15-17 hrs is spot on and only takes about an hr or 2 to charge ( I use mine while charging most of the time).

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Apologies if this was posted in the wrong forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    This will be your cheapest option. Buying a gaming headset is about convenience over quality.

Two exceptions where you might want to buy a headset.

1. If you have a really good sound card, you may get something out getting a pair of Astro's which have higher quality speakers than normal gaming headsets. They are nothing you can't get in a normal high quality pair of plain headphones, but if you don't want to keep switching them onto your computer but want good quality sound on your computer set, maybe it's worth the luxury tax for you.

2. If you play a lot of games where you benefit from directional sound cues then you may want a surround sound headset. These come in both virtual USB types and surround sound sets that have multiple positional speakers inside the headset cup. From experience, you actually really can tell which speaker the sound comes from, and therefore where the source is relative to you. Regular headsets do a pretty good job emulating this, but the investment may be worth it if you play primarily FPS style games. It wasn't too useful for me.
    I honestly don't know if sound cues will help... I only play XIV right now, and I was a Bard. Now that I switched my main to DRK, I'll have more to worry about.
    I think I am leaning more towards the Razer's I posted for surround sound, and so I don't use the Beats too much and have to worry about charging them for when I'm on the road.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    I bought the Turtle Beach Earforce 500P for my PS4 a year or so ago (100$). They are wireless and if you have an Digital Optical SPDIF out on your mobo or soundcard the emulated 7.1 surround works great with ffxiv. You can hear which direction leviathan splashes and where Bahamut comes down for db's in T13. They are not top of the line but it works well. The advertised battery life of 15-17 hrs is spot on and only takes about an hr or 2 to charge ( I use mine while charging most of the time).
    Damn, I think you just sold me on buying a headset. I haven't played XIV with sound once since release.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

to be fair you can do that with stereo headphones too.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I have a pair of Sennheiser PC360s that I got from a lightning deal or similar on Amazon for $150; they are p amazing.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    I have a pair of Sennheiser PC360s that I got from a lightning deal or similar on Amazon for $150; they are p amazing.
    $150 is quite the investment. :\ My keyboard and mouse was just $220, otherwise I'd consider. And I don't even have a raid group at the moment.

Don't buy turtle beach anything. They suck.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    Don't buy turtle beach anything. They suck.
    When Sears and Kmart ditched their video game section I bought so many Turtle Beach items for cheap to resell. They sell like crazy because the marketing machine has built them up as a good buy. They aren't. I have some that I use (were free from Amazon) and I can say confidently they aren't worth more than $10.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

6 years later I am still rocking a pair of Astro A40s. These things are built like a rock. They still sound amazing and I am certain they're not as good as they were on day 1. They're comfortable and built to last. These are forever my recommendation despite mixed reviews.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I can't believe I waited this long to invest in a real gaming in experience. I mean... the Astro's are $140+ too, but if I play another 5-10 years, the money spent will be worth it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Why all the TB hate? I've had 3 pair over the years and I have had 0 problems with any of them.

A40s are solid if you dont mind being wired in. The price point is much better @ 150$, I think the last time I was shopping they were still 250$

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Have had a lot of luck with my Sennheisers.

Regarding the audio switching, both my speakers and headset are analog so I bought a splitter for the audio output so whenever I want to switch to a headset I put on my headset and turn down the volume on my speakers, vice versa when I swap back to my speakers. No dicking around with the audio settings in game or in windows. Works incredibly well imo.