+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Allergy advice?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Allergy advice?

Pollen is rearing its ugly head where I live and 2 Claritin is still not fixing the crazy nonstop itch in my nose

Obviously a doctor will be sought in the morning, but if I can get any advice for relief until then, that would be sick.

So far I've tried:
    A shower
    Constant nose rubbing
    Two claritin
    Plucking nose hair
    Neti pot

No avail. I don't wanna miss work over this but the allergies have kept me awake through ambien, and I literally just got back from a 7 day leave cause of kidney stones.

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I'd try a different med if I was you; might be worth it. Was originally on Zyrtec but switched to Clariton when I was experiencing problems. Life is lovely now.

EDIT: Before I switched meds, my friends keep pushing me to eat local honey as a way to combat allergies, though I've no idea if it works or not.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

When my allergies hit in the spring, I pull out some extra pillows so I can prop myself and sleep in more of a sitting position. Even with medicine (Claritin), the second I lay down my nose will go into overdrive. By keeping myself upright, the pressure doesn't build up so much in my sinus and I can get some decent sleep.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm a huge sufferer, but I keep it in check somehow.

I would recommend simply the following:

If you keep having a runny nose, lie down. Rubbing it will eventually file your nose off, let the snot run down the back of your throat.
    And in addition to the above, try to nap.
    A damp facecloth over face/eyes/nose can be soothing, while lying down.
    Sit still. Play video games. Have a fan on to dry up.
    You can try both Cetirizine hydrochloride (Zyrtec) and Loratadine (Claritin) together.

I don't see how nose plucking would work, unless it's to distract you.
    Cetirizine hydrochloride and Loratadine both make me drowsy, so I refrain from taking it.
    Eye drops and nose sprays never work for me. At most it's placebo. Especially the nose spray if you're already extremely runny/blocked nose in the first place, just seems to make it even worst.

Hope it helps!

edit: your mileage may vary, each of our bodies are different. sitting up right for me makes it insta-runny. lying down fixes it!

I found nasal strips to be a godsend for breathing at night. That said, i don't have allergies as far as i can tell. I have issues with a stuffy nose and sniffling, but it doesn't appear to be dependant on the day, what i eat, the season, or even where i live. every day its the same, one of my nostrils or the other will be stuffed up. been like that since i was little. ~_~

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

As far as meds go, I'm using Equaline this season and it's been working great.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I had terrible allergies as a kid. Spent ~3 years doing allergy shots which helped immensely. I still get it bad a few weeks each year when everything is blooming in DC and the only thing that provides immediate relief is Benadryl. Benadryl is the gold standard for allergy relief; the downside is that it makes me borderline narcoleptic. That said, you can take it preemptively at bedtime, sleep like a rock, and it negates most morning allergy symptoms.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Nasocort, it's an allergy spray. Works great for me. I'm told it works better than Flonase, but I've never tried it so I can't compare.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I started taking my hayfever tablets a couple of days ago. I was getting itchy eyes and sneezing when I was going home in the evening. The weather has changed though (currently dark, dull and raining). But I wake up with a stuffy nose. I usually have a shower to clear it.

I use Tesco's own brand loratadine - £2.50 for 30 tables. Though cheap, I've not had any problems with them in the past decade and they seem to work. I used to have horrendous hayfever as a child (nosebleeds almost everyday) which wasn't helped by my grandparents taking me out to pollen central aka the countryside during the summer holidays.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Try a different med. I use Loratadine, works pretty well.

Just don't try them in the same day. Make you sick.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Loratadine is Claritin.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

ah, well, i've also tried allegra. that worked well. loratadine is cheaper though.

anyway point is meds work differently for everyone so try something new

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I started with Claritin a few years ago, when it stopped working I switched to Zyrtec.

When Zyrtec stopped working, I used Allegra. Worked great for a long time.

Now that Allegra no longer works, I'm using Flonase/Nasocort sprays. They are working great. When they fail, I'll see an allergist or get a stronger prescription instead. I had a friend that got shots, seems worth it to some not to all.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

A friend of mine got the shots, says she felt like she had never breathed once in her life until the day after she got them.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Claritin doesn't do anything for me. Zyrtec 24 works perfectly, and I have pretty gnarly allergies. I never tried Allegra since Zyrtec works. Benadryl works, but I get mouth-breather-dumb on it (if I am able to stay awake, but I will use it for sleep), and at the four-hour mark, it's done.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Go for a run. It helps.

XI was, and will always be, better.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Patriarch
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Nasocort, it's an allergy spray. Works great for me. I'm told it works better than Flonase, but I've never tried it so I can't compare.
    ^

I can't speak highly enough about that magical nose elixir

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i used to get shots, but went into anaphylaxis soo..... that ended that

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Your immune system fucking hates you, doesn't it Bane?

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    A friend of mine got the shots, says she felt like she had never breathed once in her life until the day after she got them.
    Only downside is that it takes fucking forever to get results. I chose the accelerated schedule and got three shots, three times a week (9 total). They don't really hurt, but the itching...god the itching. Early on, it's like getting three of the most absurd mosquito bites you've ever gotten.