1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 37 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 37 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Patch 3.01 Notes     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Maybe im just weird but I havent found Bard to be a pain at all to play in Alex with WM up. I'm still enjoying the job.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I don't understand, are people expecting bard to be pushing the same numbers as smn blm mnk drg?! It's a support class, it's ment to have stronger utility to a group than dps potential, get over it and deal with your ~850+.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It's not even that low, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairthenn View Post
    It's not even that low, though.
    People panic and exaggerate. I've seen parties omitting BRD/MCH/BLM spots from their PF parties because "they suck now."

On the other hand, you see high MCH/BLM parses in 3.0 limited end game.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Zone instances are gone

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Zone instances are gone
    Thankfully. That was making hunts a pain.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

FINAL FANTASY XIV Hotfixes (Jul. 9)
    An issue with the Duty Finder wherein the features of the "Undersized Party" setting might not work during the duty if the party that selected it met minimum party size requirements.
    Anyone know if this means you can enter duties with a full party now and still benefit from being uncapped? We tried to get someone a Ramuh EX clear before this patch and it capped us when we entered with a full party even though the box was checked, so we were actually better off just kicking someone out to get the uncapped benefit.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    I don't understand, are people expecting bard to be pushing the same numbers as smn blm mnk drg?! It's a support class, it's ment to have stronger utility to a group than dps potential, get over it and deal with your ~850+.
    When BRD or MCH are in caster mode, why should they not be dealing the same damage as BLM or SMN?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Personally, they should deal about 90-95% of the damage pure dps classes can do when they aren't supporting with songs due to their high mobility and relative safety from some mechanics and closer to 100% when in WM mode due to loss of mobility. Supporting the party with songs already tanks their DPS to "support dps" levels anyway.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Do they not retain the ability to support while in that stance?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

They do retain the ability to support while in WM, but as Lokus mentioned, the act of actually performing any support drops their DPS (by 20%) when they're actually singing, so there's no reason for their non-support DPS to be so low.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Fair enough

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Pretty much. If they are so insistent on claiming BRD/MCH as "Support DPS" to justify their lower normal damage when not supporting then why do their support abilities further lower their damage? I would imagine the MP drain from their use would be enough to prevent you from keeping them up 100% of the time.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

That argument would also be stronger if SMN didn't have battle raise, E4E, full-strength Virus, etc.

The sad part is that (as has been mentioned by others) SMN has more mobility than caster-mode BRD/MCH.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Nah, those are all really good points. Had never given much thought to how many powerful support abilities SMN had, either

Vuitton

Is MCH really support? Why do I want to give up my turret DPS for mp/tp? I guess I haven't encountered a need to do that yet.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

SMN is a hot mess because of their initial idea to have a dual job system with each class. The fact that ACN needed to have healing/support abilities for SCH is why SMN has so much "support" even though by all definitions it should be just a DoT version of BLM.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Voyage1970 View Post
    Pretty much. If they are so insistent on claiming BRD/MCH as "Support DPS" to justify their lower normal damage when not supporting then why do their support abilities further lower their damage? I would imagine the MP drain from their use would be enough to prevent you from keeping them up 100% of the time.
    Because if they could deal monk/smn numbers without the support abilitys up there would be zero reason for a Monk/smn.

Think about it equal numbers with "oh shit" abilitys vs just equal numbers. Who would you pick? They have to be overall weaker not just when they are singing.

Bards can already put up fairly reputable numbers as long as they don't sing. The bulk of lost dmg is from when they sing, orbthey just suck.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Vuitton View Post
    Is MCH really support? Why do I want to give up my turret DPS for mp/tp? I guess I haven't encountered a need to do that yet.
    For the same reason BRDs would?

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by dejet View Post
    Because if they could deal monk/smn numbers without the support abilitys up there would be zero reason for a Monk/smn.

Think about it equal numbers with "oh shit" abilitys vs just equal numbers. Who would you pick? They have to be overall weaker not just when they are singing.

Bards can already put up fairly reputable numbers as long as they don't sing. The bulk of lost dmg is from when they sing, orbthey just suck.
    That argument would work if you ignore that MNK has INT down debuffs and like stated earlier SMN has E4E, Virus, and Raise. I was also mostly referring to BRD when in WM since it trades the safety of free movement for superior damage. Every job offers some party utility so I don't see why just because BRD has support it should magically do less damage than say DRG which can buff the parties crit rate and piercing damage or MNK which can lower magic damage and buff healing received.

If your argument is that BRD's support abilities are far stronger than other jobs then I would say that's why they have a damage penalty. But having lower base damage along with a further damage reduction for their support is redundant. Either keep the -15% damage on songs and buff their base damage or keep their base damage lower and remove the penalty.