• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

System performance/optimization scanner?

So my computer has been running like crap for awhile, which isn't a big surprise since it's only at start up. But now it's getting to the point my system itself is bitching about it and suggesting I disable Windows Aero to increase performance. Before I do that I was wondering if there are any programs that scan for performance issues/configurations and suggest optimizations for a system that are free or have a free trial period.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Obvious thing is to open up task manager and look for things eating up cpu time. You may have to customize the displayed columns for a better idea. Next look at startup programs (startup tab in win8's task manager). If you're using a prebuilt system that you never installed fresh on, it probably has shitware in the background. You'll need to uninstall or prevent it from loading at start. After that, go through your installed programs list and uninstall things you don't recognize.

Generally CCleaner can do a lot more harm than good when run with no clue, especially if you let it clean your registry (don't, really don't), but it can find junk for you to get rid of. Can also try Adwcleaner https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewd.../1-adwcleaner/ but really, you should go through your system yourself since any of these 'cleaners,' especially ones that can 'clean' your registry, can potentially bork your system.

edit: don't forget the couple links right here on these forums:
    http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/782...es-and-Malware
    http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/552...-and-Utilities

Old posts but the info isn't that outdated.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    Obvious thing is to open up task manager and look for things eating up cpu time. You may have to customize the displayed columns for a better idea. Next look at startup programs (startup tab in win8's task manager). If you're using a prebuilt system that you never installed fresh on, it probably has shitware in the background. You'll need to uninstall or prevent it from loading at start. After that, go through your installed programs list and uninstall things you don't recognize.

Generally CCleaner can do a lot more harm than good when run with no clue, especially if you let it clean your registry (don't, really don't), but it can find junk for you to get rid of. Can also try Adwcleaner https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewd.../1-adwcleaner/ but really, you should go through your system yourself since any of these 'cleaners,' especially ones that can 'clean' your registry, can potentially bork your system.

edit: don't forget the couple links right here on these forums:
    http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/782...es-and-Malware
    http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/552...-and-Utilities

Old posts but the info isn't that outdated.
    Would you please elaborate more on the bolded? I was always under the impression Ccleaner was good to use for such things. Thank you in advance.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

CCleaner is a full on scrubber that can and will remove 95% of bad things lurking through your system. But it doesn't discriminate at all. It saying that, anything that looks suspicious, good or bad, it will flag as needing to remove it and it's up to YOU to know what is what in your system. It's harder for Registry files since some, good or bad, files come in Hash coding and removing the wrong thing can bring you crashing down.

It's removed Rootkits for me but also several Windows files that caused some stability issues later on. Hell, there was a recent incident for me where it removed my Script Blocker add-on for Chrome lol. It's really good at what it does but you do need to be very observant and check EVERYTHING it's requesting to remove for you before going through with it.

Common practice of backing up your registry isn't common enough in my experience sadly. This from the guy who backs his stuff up maybe 1 for 4 times he goes into the registry lol

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

That makes sense. Maybe I've been fortunate that I haven't had any issues using it. Although, I had an entire folder randomly disappear (42gb worth of games and mods). Luckily Recuva helped!

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

While CCleaner or similar software can help, nothing beats just reformatting and doing a fresh install of the OS.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Would you please elaborate more on the bolded? I was always under the impression Ccleaner was good to use for such things. Thank you in advance.
    It's mostly that it's a powerful tool, and the sorts of derps that run all their app installers with default, install 10 toolbars and 100 startup programs settings, should not use it. Those are the folks that will hose their system further. But even careful, but new to ccleaner folks can hose parts of their systems using it. It's good at what it does, but it's not very friendly unless you have the time to really look over what it's going to do.

There's other programs that target fewer things, like adwcleaner, that are not as complete as ccleaner, but have a lot less chance to hose your install. The kinds of programs that target the common stuff instead of the obscure is what you'd run first anyway, since most ad crap is extremely common. Outside that, look at what's there in your startup and uninstall list and go through it.

Though you could always be like Krandor and just say fuck it and hose the fucker yourself and install clean (if it's been long enough, you may as well do it, nothing wrong with this at all). But it's better to understand why your install got shat up in the first place by taking that toilet brush to it at least once.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

@Corrderio what's your system specs anyway?

I find that it's rather difficult to grind a Win7 and mid-tier i5/i7 cpu with 8gb of RAM to a slowdown lol

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

grab this. https://www.comodo.com/business-secu...essentials.php

Make sure to get the version that matches your OS (32 or 64 bit). no install, just extract it somewhere. run killswitch and see if it finds anything weird running, after that run CCE and let it do a scan.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    While CCleaner or similar software can help, nothing beats just reformatting and doing a fresh install of the OS.
    This seems to be becoming more and more of a thing for me. I was hoping I could hold off until I build a new PC, but after splurging this weekend that might have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    @Corrderio what's your system specs anyway?

I find that it's rather difficult to grind a Win7 and mid-tier i5/i7 cpu with 8gb of RAM to a slowdown lol
    -AMD Phenom II X4 964 Processor
    -AMD Radeon HD 6800 Video Card
    -8GB of RAM

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I've got an upgrade you can buy!

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Get yourself a SSD.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Get yourself a SSD.
    Shut up, scrub!

Seriously though, I plan to when I build a new machine. I really don't want to put much money into this one since I'm going to probably just give it away to a family member or something whenever.