1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 13 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 10 hours, 31 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 6 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 3 hours, 31 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    If there's a WAR he's opening with Storm's Eye regardless (people still don't get that Block is only for when you know there's no chance of Maim/Eye falling, it's not the default WAR combo by any means).

NINs doesn't help WAR's DPS, they do Eye anyway, WAR helps the NIN.
    Hmm, as a WAR I always open with Block so I don't lose hate. I'll have to try opening with Eye more, but DPS blowing all their cooldowns (as they should) on their openers makes me question how Eye could possibly generate enough hate.

Are these WARs you're referring to pulling with anything (Overpower/Tomahawk), or just starting with Heavy Swing as soon as they can reach the mob?

I mean, I guess if I trusted the NIN to Shadewalker, opening with Eye is fine. I keep forgetting that ability exists.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

WAR doesn't mt, silly.

Edit: But real talk, defiance double enmity plus zerk and unchained damage boosts, the only thing that should pull hate off you is a BLM getting a first firestarter proc crit while not using quelling.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I always open with SE combo regardless of unchained or not. Haven't lost hate to anyone yet. Str war with melded accessories though. I'm sure that helps a lot.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jahaudant Rivea
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Hmm, as a WAR I always open with Block so I don't lose hate. I'll have to try opening with Eye more, but DPS blowing all their cooldowns (as they should) on their openers makes me question how Eye could possibly generate enough hate.

Are these WARs you're referring to pulling with anything (Overpower/Tomahawk), or just starting with Heavy Swing as soon as they can reach the mob?

I mean, I guess if I trusted the NIN to Shadewalker, opening with Eye is fine. I keep forgetting that ability exists.
    Since this is the NIN discussion thread I assume you'll be the target of Shadewalker so you could probably open with a toilet break and still hold threat.

Even without Shadewalker I have never lost threat when opening with Overpower > Eye > BB.

Either way, this is now the WAR discussion thread. Get out.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sally Majors
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Burning Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Jahaudant View Post
    Since this is the NIN discussion thread I assume you'll be the target of Shadewalker so you could probably open with a toilet break and still hold threat.

Even without Shadewalker I have never lost threat when opening with Overpower > Eye > BB.

Either way, this is now the WAR discussion thread. Get out.
    Shadewalker is amazing during Solo play, with a Tankabo. I've yet to actually use it productively during dungeons though except for dumb tanks who can't keep aggro.

Also Nuh, NIN pwn's WAR! We-We can like sneak and stuff and gouge ya with a Stabber ya blimey armored bloke!

Or...something like that, dunno.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Terrestrial Rage
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Shadewalker allows MT to open in DPS stance for a while during the initial zerg, its actually a subtle DPS increase if the tank isnt gonna be in any immediate danger in the first min~ of the fight.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah shadewalker is dope, the ninja can actually pull the mob and it will still go straight for the tank.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Fuck legitimate uses for shadewalker, I use it on the whm and smokescreen the tank. Or to pull a hunt early and blame it on someone else.

I mostly use it for mid-fight add drops where I may have a combo prepped and the tank doesn't. Vanu in Bismarck or jagds in F2. The start of fights is usually clean enough to not need it because the tanks are popping their offensive buffs right alongside you.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I love nin, lol.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

My Skill Speed on NIN today just 595, and I was checking out my oGCD, seems it's already at 2.04 with Huton up. I assume 600 Skill Speed = 2 sec oGCD with Huton? Is there a point to going over that or would just start to hurt more than help due to over use of TP?

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Classikmage View Post
    My Skill Speed on NIN today just 595, and I was checking out my oGCD, seems it's already at 2.04 with Huton up. I assume 600 Skill Speed = 2 sec oGCD with Huton? Is there a point to going over that or would just start to hurt more than help due to over use of TP?
    I think it's more like 650~670 for 2 seconds. The debate in the past had always been that reaching 2 second oGCD would be bad after about 4 minutes going extra HAM, but I don't see a way that the oGCD won't naturally go even lower than 2 seconds with Huton up soon.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    I think it's more like 650~670 for 2 seconds. The debate in the past had always been that reaching 2 second oGCD would be bad after about 4 minutes going extra HAM, but I don't see a way that the oGCD won't naturally go even lower than 2 seconds with Huton up soon.
    So, .04 GCD takes 50-70 Skill Speed? o.O

oGCD means off-GCD guys.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    oGCD means off-GCD guys.
    Dur... W/E.... 2.04 GCD....... SORRY lol. Happy?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Also, I think you underestimate just how much Skill Speed is on the new HW gear. Just screwing around, and equipping all the i210 gear that has Skill Speed on it, according to Ariyala you can get over 1000~ Skill Speed. At 595 my GCD is already at 2.04, remember.

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/R400

Granted, it is a pretty crappy selection of off-stats as your accuracy is obviously WAAAAAAY more than need and you Crit and Determination are really low, but just this is just messing around just see'ing how high it could techinically go.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If I had to go for a end all set, (assuming this is enough accuracy for A4S, but I think I heard someone mention only needing around 590~600~ somewhere), I think this might be pretty close to what I would go for as far as i210 options. Please understand though, that this is just a rough draft, and completely susceptible to change at any time.

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/R409

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Also, I think you underestimate just how much Skill Speed is on the new HW gear. Just screwing around, and equipping all the i210 gear that has Skill Speed on it, according to Ariyala you can get over 1000~ Skill Speed. At 595 my GCD is already at 2.04, remember.

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/R400

Granted, it is a pretty crappy selection of off-stats as your accuracy is obviously WAAAAAAY more than need and you Crit and Determination are really low, but just this is just messing around just see'ing how high it could techinically go.
    Oh I know I'm underestimating it, but it is scaling decently, it seems. 1k Skill Speed sounds pretty silly, though lol.

I'm @682 Skill Speed and my GCD is @2.02 now with Huton, if it matters. @689~709 SkS brings the number down to 2.01. @723 SkS, the GCD is 2.00.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Oh I know I'm underestimating it, but it is scaling decently, it seems. 1k Skill Speed sounds pretty silly, though lol.

I'm @682 Skill Speed and my GCD is @2.02 now with Huton, if it matters. @689~709 SkS brings the number down to 2.01. @723 SkS, the GCD is 2.00.
    Considering it takes over 100 Skill Speed to go from 2.04 to 2.00, which I doubt is very noticeable reduction in itself, I think around 600-650 Skill Speed it plenty for NIN, I mean I know Skill Speed affects DoT damage now. But so does Determination and Crit. Yes, Determination had it's effect on auto-attacks reduced, but it's still the same for every other aspect of damage. And is still a usable stat.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Considering it takes over 100 Skill Speed to go from 2.04 to 2.00, which I doubt is very noticeable reduction in itself, I think around 600-650 Skill Speed it plenty for NIN, I mean I know Skill Speed affects DoT damage now. But so does Determination and Crit. Yes, Determination had it's effect on auto-attacks reduced, but it's still the same for every other aspect of damage. And is still a usable stat.
    Yeah I agree. In fact, you start to lose out on more Crit & Determination as you go beyond 690 if you frontload SkS (Acc increases exponentially with more SkS however). At least with the current gear.

What I was saying originally, is that it would seem that SkS will naturally go over the 2.0 threshold (approx. 710~722) even with balanced gear as time goes on. I'm actually wondering if this was by design for 3.X series, but we will see with patch 3.1 and on, I guess.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

I haven't really kept up with the DPS tier list meta bullshit, buy what kind of numbers are nin supposed to pull currently? I can maintain about 1100, but seeing our mnk and blm regularly getting around 1300 and hearing stories of SMN breaking 1500 make me sad. NIN seems pretty shit-tier now. Like the melee equivalent of BRD, you're there more for the party utility than exclusively your own damage.