FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Intermittent crashing problem

Hey guys,

Been having an intermittent issue where my game will crash. This first started happening in Witcher 3 and now also in FFXIV:HW. I will be playing fine and then the game will minimize and I am not able to tab back in and then it will either stop working or I will have to force terminate the game process. I have tried different drivers, I thought it might be related to Chrome as it seems like its more frequent with Chrome but it just happened with Firefox running. I am using DX11 and a 970gtx card. There should be plenty of power to the card as I have a big PSU that I used to use for SLI with 2x 580s. If I can't find a solution to this I am just planning on wiping out the system come Windows 10 time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

edit: I should also mention that I intermittently get nvidia driver crashes also. Maybe I should attempt to do a clean wipe of the driver and a reinstall.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Ive had (still occasionally have) this issue. Its windows thinking the nvidia drivers have crashed and recovering them. Nvidia has been working on fixing it but it still happens.
    the fix is strange but it will almost assuredly work.
    find out the stock clock of your video card (in this case the 970). get an overclocking utility and underclock your card (which is likely pre-overclocked) down a bit, closer to stock speeds on the CPU
    this should eliminate the issue
    for example, I have the Gigabyte G1 Gaming high end card, their pre-overclocked superbeast, but I still occasionally get the driver crash issue, so I just underclock it by 75-100 mhz (still above stock). I barely notice any speed difference and no more crashy crash

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I saw this problem crop up elsewhere (affects amd's 285/380 and some 300-series cards as well with similar games). It's dx11, or at least a lot things seem to point to it. Use dx9 and you likely won't be crashing anymore, which sucks since you got a 970 to NOT be stuck with dx9... Could also try older drivers but the game might not run well.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I had the same symptoms a while back. Setting the following drastically reduced the crashing:

It seems the cause of my problems was a recent Windows update that affected Windows power settings. My gtx 670 didn't like the voltage fluctuation.

Changing the Nvidia power setting might also help (spoilered for large image).

Spoiler: show

Good luck!

Related thread: http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/worl...ml#post2730361

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have more things to try to resolve the issue now.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Bumping this in case anyone else has been experiencing issues. Looks like this issue can also be caused by EVGA Precision / MSI Afterburner / RivaTuner running.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...omment=4591103