1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 13 hours, 43 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 10 hours, 16 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 6 hours, 43 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 3 hours, 16 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

^ This. I personally didn't want to clutter up rotational threads with a "goddammit let me finish casting Bliz 4" series of posts.

Edit: goddammit, new page.

I'VE CHOSEN A TITLE FOR THE LIKES OF YOU!
    BG Level

Not to be "that guy", but I'm actually enjoying BLM a lot!

Things I've learned to deal with about Enochian:

- The usual rotation is Fire IV > Fire IV > Fire > Repeat. If for any reason I have to dodge anything or forced to move and feel uncertain if I'll make my normal combo, I will either:

1. Omit the 2nd Fire IV and do an early Fire or if I have a Firestarter proc I just do the 2nd Fire IV after anyway for obvious reasons of insta-Astral Fire III refresh.
    2. If my Enochian buff timer is getting already at the 10s~ or less mark, I jump into Blizzard III > Blizzard IV immediately, unless my Enochian ability is close to back up, then I just continue as normal with Fire/Fire IV rotation and ability Enochian during the Blizzard phase.

Usually I'm pretty solid from there, unless I horribly, horribly mess up. But fights are predictable after a while, and you can plan for these things with enough practice.

- I think two main things about comparing Enochian to MNK's Greased Lightning is that unlike BLMs, MNKs have to:

A. Build Greased Lightning from 0, to III which is several GCDs
    B. Need a valid enemy target to do so.

BLM's Enochian is already on a pretty short recast timer of 60s (with the buff lasting 30s straight out the gate), and you can just start nuking with your IV spells immediately from the get go with no arduous build up phase like MNK has to do. The worst of worst case scenario would be not having access for 30s (which means you really screwed up somewhere). 30s is about roughly 2 regular Fire rotations + one Blizzard phase, so it's not -horrible-, but you definitely don't want to be in that situation if possible! Saving Swiftcast for such situations is usually key for a clutch Blizzard IV.

Another thing I've learned is, if you think you screwed up and Astral Fire's gonna wear before you can get in a Fire I (and possibly get a crappy Astral Fire I), I jump straight to Blizzard III and restart from there. I have a pretty good feeling it's better to just end your Fire phase early and start fresh from Blizzard than to lose Astral Fire and have to hard cast a slowwww Blizz III or Fire III, etc etc. That's what I've been doing anyway.

I find it really fun now that I've figured out some solutions to the awkward situations you can end up in. They aren't perfect, but I think it's not really as bad as I once thought it was.

Honestly the most annoying things for me is when I have to deal with adds, haha. With Fire IV taking so long, and something like Ravana's Spirit Ganas or A3's Tornado add phase (though due to a bug, it's a lot more forgiving), sometimes I just ignore Fire IV and stick to Fire I for it's speed despite having Enochian up, with the exceptions for higher HP adds like Moon Gana / A3 Puddings as an example.

It's definitely a lot about reading how the situation's going to go and adapting on the fly. I'm still trying to get better at it, but once you get a feel for it with a lot of practice, it's not so bad.

Just my 2 cents-!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lady Tisi
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Malygos

Is it worth it to have thunder in the rotation at all? I haven't been able to do any testing because I can't for the life of me get ACT to work

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

With two mobs maybe, otherwise just use it as filler in umbral phase

I'VE CHOSEN A TITLE FOR THE LIKES OF YOU!
    BG Level

Thunder basically should only be used during Ice only if you get a slow MP tic during Blizzard IV. If you get a fast tic, omit Thunder!

Though if you have a Thundercloud proc, that's good to use if you have one after a slow mp tic Blizzard IV.

That's what I've gathered anyway?

Edit: There's also stuff like clipping Thunder proc with another Thundercloud proc being inefficient or something, but so long as you follow the main rules above, you're good!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

i'll only use a thundercloud proc if I have to dodge something after my initial opener of casting thunder 1.
    Its still a dps loss, the change wasn't enough. But at least now its less of a dps loss.

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Hit 60 yesterday, blm used to be my main. I'm not really feeling as comfortable on the job as i used to be. The transitions feel cluncky, i feel like instead of paying attention to mechanics im watching two or three separate timers. This flow is going to take some getting used to, and the crossbar space isnt helping. I need to rearrange my old setup but im not sure how yet.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven19 View Post
    Hit 60 yesterday, blm used to be my main. I'm not really feeling as comfortable on the job as i used to be. The transitions feel cluncky, i feel like instead of paying attention to mechanics im watching two or three separate timers. This flow is going to take some getting used to, and the crossbar space isnt helping. I need to rearrange my old setup but im not sure how yet.
    I can post screens of what I use later tonight if you like, but I switched to SMN <,<

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've got used to it, and use a modified version of the core rotation.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    I can post screens of what I use later tonight if you like, but I switched to SMN <,<
    Yeah actually that'd be really helpful Kas, thanks. Twilight, im thinking maybe im so used to my old rotation that muscle memory is throwing me off learning the new rotation. Its like i cant get out of my own way. Doing experts last night, every time i had to dodge a mechanic or reposition, id tunnel vision right into old rotations and completely forget about the five new things to do. I was a mess lol.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

from a casual's perspective (no savage) i enjoy the new rotation. took a little while to get the hang of, but i'm sure that's true for other jobs that had big rotation changes.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mira Lefrune
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

It's really simple once you get out of the old rotation habit though, you just have to know if you have to dodge something for more than a second you probably have to cut a fire4. I find the new blm way more rewarding to play, no more hoping for rng to bless you with good dps lol

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Yeah actually that'd be really helpful Kas, thanks. Twilight, im thinking maybe im so used to my old rotation that muscle memory is throwing me off learning the new rotation. Its like i cant get out of my own way. Doing experts last night, every time i had to dodge a mechanic or reposition, id tunnel vision right into old rotations and completely forget about the five new things to do. I was a mess lol.
    Spoiler: show
    Normal X-Bar

R2 First+L2

L2 First +R2

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

That looks pretty interesting ill start reworking my bars when i get home tomorrow and see if it helps. Thanks Kas!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

What I did for the rotation was practice it on a dummy at least once a day.

The old rotation is still viable, but only when enochian is down. You definitely don't want to use it full time anymore(DPS loss), especially when you hit the last two dungeons(for neverreap..whenever possible).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
    What I did for the rotation was practice it on a dummy at least once a day.

The old rotation is still viable, but only when enochian is down. You definitely don't want to use it full time anymore(DPS loss), especially when you hit the last two dungeons(for neverreap..whenever possible).
    Oh see i had another question about that. So three+ mobs im usually AoEing. Do i now want to single target most grouped pulls anyway and just throw in flares when swift cast is up, or do i continue the old fire two routine with enochian refresh added?