1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 10 hours, 39 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 13 hours, 20 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 3 hours, 39 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 6 hours, 20 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Patch 3.05 Notes     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Depends on how much money this fabled "exodus" loses SE. The world-firsters aren't going anywhere because they crave world-firsts. The casuals come and go like casuals are won' to do, so that breaks even... and then there's "this" crowd. Just how many Destinyes and Rhonins are there in the world? How much of a financial hit would SE take? That's the real question.

That's also the other thing that it probably won't matter. Like all this bitching and moaning about the status quo and everything is still fine 1+ year later. I mean you can bitch and bitch but if you're still playing the game then you kind of deserve the shit you get. In the end, if the game isn't to your liking just stop. That probably has more overall impact (to you, to the game, your life etc) than bitching about things that may never be.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Depends on how much money this fabled "exodus" loses SE. The world-firsters aren't going anywhere because they crave world-firsts. The casuals come and go like casuals are won' to do, so that breaks even... and then there's "this" crowd. Just how many Destinyes and Rhonins are there in the world? How much of a financial hit would SE take? That's the real question.
    So, because I'm not singing the eternal praises of Yoshida, have correctly surmised that 3.0 is more of the same 2.0 complete with the same problems that it's all good because financials, profit margins and subs? What is this, an EA shareholders meeting?

XI was 'successful' if we're going to play the financials game and we all know how much you loved FFXI. It doesn't mean XIV can't stand to improve in it's lacking areas as it should. It also doesn't mean Yoshida hasn't succeeded where he has like in marketing, polish and overall respect for the franchise. Soken's work on both the ARR and Heavensward OSTs are certainly on par with SEs big names.

I made a valid criticism that the crafting side of XIV could stand to integrate into the endgame more, especially when the game bills itself as having full time crafting classes. All of this gating needs a purpose, not just gates for the sake of gates. The whole endgame gating is formulaic grinding and FCs are still holding their dicks in the wind.

Re: 'Don't like it quit' - You're right. The game lends itself to quitting and resubbing for a patch burst.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

That's the real question.
    Not really, that's all fluff.

The real question is what's stopping them from having both? I'd like to think 2.1 was fairly balanced in having both casual content and hardcore content. 3.0 only has one real raid that also accounts for being the hardest content in the game that's currently unbeatable until esoterics become available. They got the casual crowd in the bag, but the crowd that likes to feel challenged but not shat over with "Savage" content is left high and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post

The real question is what's stopping them from having both? I'd like to think 2.1 was fairly balanced in having both casual content and hardcore content. 3.0 only has one real raid that also accounts for being the hardest content in the game that's currently unbeatable until esoterics become available. They got the casual crowd in the bag, but the crowd that likes to feel challenged but not shat over with "Savage" content is left high and dry.
    I mean, I hate to say it but... uh. Welcome to MMO raiding. There's not been a game yet with raid content that's challenging enough to be compelling to world-first'ers without requiring some semblance of gearing up. MMOs aren't action games--numbers kinda dictate at least 40-50% of what you can physically do content-wise.

I wouldn't argue against having more content, simply because more is always better. But what other style of game other than MOBAs support disgustingly long playtimes over a super long period of time? It always strikes me as a little weird when people complain about a lack of things to do when they have over 100 hours /played in a game. Clearly, you have done a lot of stuff. Has it all been worthwhile? Well, that's far more subjective.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Arelian View Post
    It always strikes me as a little weird when people complain about a lack of things to do when they have over 100 hours /played in a game. Clearly, you have done a lot of stuff. Has it all been worthwhile? Well, that's far more subjective.
    Honestly, I'm satisfied with the game. Tried other MMOs but nothing compels me more to play more than this. Take that as you will.

My complaints just come from a desire of seeing things become better, or "different" if you want a more objective term. Perhaps I have the thought process of a world firster (as I would expect of nearly everyone on this forum since number-crunching is a thing here), but my post above isn't to speak in favor of that. Simply put, the only dark spot I have for this game is the ease of how you can turn off your sub and just wait for the next expansion and power through all the nerfed content because previous rewards no longer matter. It means everything is on a timer and the only way you can fully enjoy it, is if you attempt it within the first two-three months of when it happens. It's why I think it's a poor call for SE to limit the ability to experiment on the player-side via crafting or cross-class skills, because as you say it's a numbers game. Giving us more to work with injects more breadth in the content.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

So you want 3 tiers, now? Is that what you're asking for?

My complaints just come from a desire of seeing things become better, or "different" if you want a more objective term.
    Everyone wants to see things become "better". Where people differ is what each person constitutes as "better". This is basic stuff. We've been up and down this rabbit hole over and over again. At some point it just becomes about either shitting or getting off the pot, because the constant complaining is beginning to sound like some "True Patriots" meeting where everyone talks about how shitty the gubment' is, how much of a bad guy Obama is, and how "a war is coming" while everyone else grunts and pats one another on the back in solidarity.

They'll either fix things to your individual liking or they won't. Life goes on. When they didn't fix the things I wanted(and there were plenty, most of which still haven't changed), I bounced for about 3 months. Came back for 3.0., loved it, still love it, still want things to change, but eh, when it gets too bad, I'll bounce again. To each their own.

That's why there's a million other games to play. Its "unfortunate" that XIV is never up to anyone's individual standards of what a "true patriot game" should be, but I'm pretty sure Yoshi's still cashing those checks each month, so yeah.

Black Belt
    BG Level

that seems to be what this game has needed for the longest time now.

there's
    Savage Second Coil Tier
    Coil farm before CT Catch-up Patch Tier
    Coil w/ Echo and max iLv Tier

everything below that is EX Primals.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It'd be a realistic suggestion. My own suggestions are too radical to be considered. Personally, I want zones dedicated to being "danger zones", which would be areas that would be difficult to traverse alone, with dungeon-type mobs and bosses lurking around. On their own they wouldn't serve too much of a purpose besides being a hindrance but something like having to kill X amount of mobs for your relic weapons/AF2 armor (instead of them being esoterics) would be neat.

The reason why I haven't splattered my posts with ideas is due to exactly what you went into next. Everyone has their idea of what "better" is and mine is no superior than others. In this case you and I are similar. We both are satisfied with the game (you more than myself I suppose), and we both have some gripes but that doesn't stop us from enjoying it for what it is. Our differences change in that I'd rather vent about my gripes on BG and you'd rather just set them aside. Is that childish? Perhaps. But when white knights prefer to kill an argument rather than leave it be, that tends to be the reason why our complaint thread came to existence in the first place.

Honestly though, all they have to do is make Red Mage and they would have me by the balls.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Honestly though, all they have to do is make Red Mage and they would have me by the balls.
    It would be nothing like you are hoping it would be. Be careful with what you ask for and what your dreams of that class are turning out to be in a game like this where hybrid is not something that lives in this games world. It would likely turn out to be AST with a sword, and look where AST is compared to SCH and WHM.

Red mage would just have fire 1, carbuncle, and hallow'd ground. That would be it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    It would be nothing like you are hoping it would be.
    Fully aware.

My expectations only goes as far as them being magic-wielding one-handed sword fighters. There's no way they'd be FFXI RDM and I doubt they'll venture into the hybrid role despite them bringing it up a year ago. As they say, "Hope for the best, expect the worst."

4.0 RDM/tank, Geomancer/dps, SAM/healer

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    4.0 SAM/healer
    Tachi: Kasha >> AoE Heal + Damage on main target. I knew there was a reason they made that cinematic with flowers!! Feel the full..... FLOWER POWER..... of the SAMURAI!!" *obligatory martial arts yell*

4.0 RDM/tank
    Not like it hasn't been done before, lol.

4.0 Geomancer/dps
    Technically, Geomancer WAS a DPS. <.<; It was BLM V2. It just had a slight twist of being able to lightly buff the PT at the same time.

I would actually like to see RDM as tank but they like having tank jobs share heavy gear so probably not gonna happen

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Classikmage View Post

Technically, Geomancer WAS a DPS. <.<; It was BLM V2. It just had a slight twist of being able to lightly buff the PT at the same time.
    'Lightly' buff he says. GEO became the definitive buffer once the full extent of those patches came to light. Smoked COR, reduced BRD domination to niche, brought respectable DPS and ushered in mage domination.

Balance or some shit.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Are esoteric weapons really going to make savage more 'beatable' though?

It is so frustrating to think about this because I would rather gear up 2 pieces of artifact gear in that time than spend very limited tomes on a nice weapon just to try and clear a raid that will probably not drop anything worthwhile (DRG gear every time I wager), take at least 4 weeks of consistent wins to get specific items, and become a frustrating experience with wipe after wipe until that 'perfect' strategy is found that still can be undone with one misstep.

It's a shame since they seemed to be making so much progress with Law gear and then, bam!, right back to the old 450 gate with pieces 800+. Worse still, with so many mechanics, the chances of maintaining a strong DPS consistently will also be up in the air depending on how much one gets targeted

/rant over

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    Are esoteric weapons really going to make savage more 'beatable' though?

It is so frustrating to think about this because I would rather gear up 2 pieces of artifact gear in that time than spend very limited tomes on a nice weapon just to try and clear a raid that will probably not drop anything worthwhile
    Just to point out. Esoterics is currently the only way to have a weapon over i190 outside of Savage Alex.

Esoteric 210 weapon is locked behind the A4, which also has the 210 Alex weapons. I mean, this is true for body as well but weapon is A Big Deal.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Just to point out. Esoterics is currently the only way to have a weapon over i190 outside of Savage Alex.

Esoteric 210 weapon is locked behind the A4, which also has the 210 Alex weapons. I mean, this is true for body as well but weapon is A Big Deal.
    I understand that but people keep thinking that people all having these weapons will suddenly make the entire content more clearable. I am sure it will help a lot meet more DPS checks but from what we are seeing, it is the mechanics too that will play a big role in clearing and that includes damage mitigation. I cannot help but wonder how much the DEF, VIT, and magic defense of the esoteric body pieces will be a major factor as well.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Weapons have VIT too. I really doubt that a smidgen more Mdef is going to be the dealbreaker. But I'm not there yet so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast