• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Anyone know how to get your key? I've tried several ways online, like running a .vbs script, going through registry, etc. Nothing. Just want it if I have to restore.
    Did you use a program like magical jelly bean or similar? Google that, should be first result. It should work.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I believe there is no key. The install is tied to your hardware ID, which could potentially cause problems if you swap out mobos/CPUs (though I'd hope Microsoft has some kind of work around for that)

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/30/wind...ay-to-dismiss/

Free games, like Solitaire, are back, but contain ads. You can either pay $1.50/month or a flat fee of $10 to remove them.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Just got done upgrading. Was very smooth, couple of minor quirks like restoring my default browser. But my Logitech MMO mouse and G710 keyboard had no issues what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    Upgraded and looking to do a fresh install but can't get the tool to work for me. Not even sure how I'm screwing up. Did the upgrade. reverted back to Win7 Home. Won't let me do the wipe/renew
    After you upgraded there's an option to reset the os into a clean state. You don't really need to redo the install.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzer View Post
    Free license just went up on Dreamspark if you're a student.
    Woo yay for education.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Fair warning if you have a Nividia card. Seems that causes some problems. I don't know what caused me to have to reformat and start fresh (Guh!) but I'm on 10 now. ^^

I got the right driver and all now.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

352.62 should have fixed that problem. If you got it BEFORE upgrading then yeah you might have fucked yourself a bit. I looked at dreamspark, boo it's only education version no free pro.

Nevermind multiple editions has a pro and home key, woo!

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

went from 7 to 10 (upgraded then put it on a USB stick to clean install) liking it so far, have had 0 issues with any drivers or programs having compatibility or crashing issues all day. being able to set 3 separate wallpapers (different one per monitor) without a 3rd party program is cool.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

What's the Nvidia fix if you upgrade while having nvidia cards attached? Would like to know before I start.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

There's no Nvidia problem anymore. The problem was GeForce Experience and Windows internal driver updates going to war.

It seems that switching our your MOBO will result in an invalidation for the Free Upgrade scenario. But, if you are upgrading from a licensed copy of 7/8 there's a way to transfer the W10 license? Something like that. I suspect it will be more along the lines of: New MOBO > Install W7/8 > Upgrade 10 again. If this is the case, I think I just might buy a standalone copy. That's a lot of work to go through every time I change the MOBO, hell or want to transfer OS to a new HD (although I suspect there might be a HD selection for installation).

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    It seems that switching our your MOBO will result in an invalidation for the Free Upgrade scenario. But, if you are upgrading from a licensed copy of 7/8 there's a way to transfer the W10 license? Something like that. I suspect it will be more along the lines of: New MOBO > Install W7/8 > Upgrade 10 again. If this is the case, I think I just might buy a standalone copy. That's a lot of work to go through every time I change the MOBO, hell or want to transfer OS to a new HD (although I suspect there might be a HD selection for installation).
    There was talk that you can associate a retail license to your Microsoft account, but so far I've only updated OEM licenses so I haven't come across any options like that... if it's even actually possible.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    I believe there is no key. The install is tied to your hardware ID, which could potentially cause problems if you swap out mobos/CPUs (though I'd hope Microsoft has some kind of work around for that)
    There is a key. I used a program called productkey to get it out of registry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    There is a key. I used a program called productkey to get it out of registry.
    I also got a key, but it wasn't specific to me. It's likely a generic key, and MS is still somehow tying back to your hardware.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...windows_os_to/

That is the generic key. Here are all generic keys:
    Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
    Windows 10 Home SL- BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
    Windows 10 Pro - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    Windows 10 Pro VL-MAK - QJNXR-7D97Q-K7WH4-RYWQ8-6MT6Y

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    This is pretty standard, if you make a big change to your PC you'll encounter this. Something as simple as increasing the amount of RAM is enough to cause this as well or different brand, model, speed, etc. Swapping a motherboard would be an even bigger flag for it because it's essentially communicating with completely different hardware at that point.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's not an issue on 8.1. Without reformatting I probably cycled a desktop thru about 3 different motherboards while troubleshooting some hardware issues. Windows would care if the CPU changed, but the mobo wasn't an issue for 8.1.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

When I built a new PC for myself and wanted to use my Win 7 key, all I had to do was go through a phone verification procedure to activate the key on the new machine.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

yeah, I've been through that phone verification quite a few times, changed a lot of hardware on a lot of computers, never said no, so not sure what it actually says no to.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    It's not an issue on 8.1. Without reformatting I probably cycled a desktop thru about 3 different motherboards while troubleshooting some hardware issues. Windows would care if the CPU changed, but the mobo wasn't an issue for 8.1.
    I did not encounter this issue. About 3 weeks ago I put in a new mobo and CPU. I didn't do a clean install right away so maybe it registered itself to the new mobo because of that? But when I did the clean install a week later I had no issues registering my product to make it a genuine license. If you are having tyhat issue I suggest calling MS support and I've heard nothing but positive things about them resetting your license, ect for you.

But then again I am still waiting for the notification to be allowed to upgrade.. so who knows what it will say when that time comes