+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Windows 10 upgrade - how would this work?

With Windows (not sure about Apple or Linux OS), my rule of upgrading Windows has always been:

1. Buy a new machine and get the latest Windows for free
    2. Backup and blow everything off, go fresh

With my reasons being:

1. Installing (upgrading) a newer version of Windows on top will lead clutter being all over the place
    2. Compatibility of your applications and hardware. Not all may be compatible. Vendors may not have drivers for your specific hardware or patches for your applications (more so if you have really unique software/hardware, but this point I'd you either have to be not technical or plain stupid to just push upgrade without considering the aftermath)
    3. It's probably irreversible (as is the case for 8.x), too much damage has been caused already if you happen to screw it up

So with Windows 10 coming within next week, and the upgrade process is seemingly easy (register, it downloads, push install), would my concerns above be valid?

Or, is it fair to say, Windows 10 is in fact, Windows 8.2, and hence, it's that easy? But the free upgrade applies to Window 7 users as well. I can't imagine it'll be like pushing the update button like you would on your Android/iOS and everything is all fairies and rainbows.

I know tech is rather good these days, but are my concerns still valid?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Pretty sure in another thread someone found a statement saying there would be a way to do a fresh install of the free winx. I certainly would prefer that to upgrading as well.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Along the same vein, I just got a copy of 8.1 yesterday (full version), now I know everyone who has the full version can upgrade to Windows 10. There's supposed to be some icon in the control panel showing that you're eligible. I don't have that. But it did ask me to upgrade to 10 before I installed by "reserving" a copy, which I did. So idk wtf.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    Pretty sure in another thread someone found a statement saying there would be a way to do a fresh install of the free winx. I certainly would prefer that to upgrading as well.
    For some reason, I guess because of the presence of the Windows 10 icon that's found permanent residence in my system tray, I just presumed it to be a simple "click and upgrade" thing. I never considered a fresh install to be possible.

Now I feel dumb hahaha

@Odesseiron: It might take time for the Microsoft servers to poll your PC? I dunno why it wouldn't come right away.

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

It's an app that's installed as part of a windows update, so first thing I'd check is making sure you're up to date. I was having trouble getting the icon to show up in the system tray on one of my machines, but solved it with this fix: (cnet link)

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Along the same vein, I just got a copy of 8.1 yesterday (full version), now I know everyone who has the full version can upgrade to Windows 10. There's supposed to be some icon in the control panel showing that you're eligible. I don't have that. But it did ask me to upgrade to 10 before I installed by "reserving" a copy, which I did. So idk wtf.
    If you got the icon in the system tray and entered your email to reserve it I think you should be fine, I haven't looked for it in control panel. I got an email about it yesterday or something where they were saying it comes out on the 29th but it will be rolled out, so you might not be ready/allowed to download it on that day.

edit: Just saw a faq where they said in control panel it is inside the Windows Update, not a separate icon.

edit2: The Stig, also saw this in the faq:

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

So you may have to do the upgrade first then a clean install, I dunno.

I'm dreading this fucking release.

Folks and Nan been using 8.0/8.1 for about 2-3 years now on their laptops, and man... I'm not ready to explain to them that the Metro is gone and they have to "Relearn" to use the computer, because you know they don't retain any knowledge of old W7/XP ways of doing things. It took them long enough already to learn how to get to Solitaire and Free Cell on Metro.

Edit: Also, if you can really Reinstall as easy as you can "Reinstall" W8, I will definitely be upgrading sooner than later on my main PC. I want to upgrade my hardware as soon as Skylake releases but I was a little worried with the whole Free for one year on your "Device" part.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I had bought Win7 Ultimate and upgraded to a *cough* version of 8.1 and when the upgrade comes out, I'm wondering if I can use my Win7 Ultimate key to push the update without having to downgrade to 7 and go to 10.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

All I know is, I haven't run a legal version of Windows since '95, but I was able to reserve a copy of Windows 10.

(I bought it anyway though, time to show some love)

Bought 7 with Student Discount program when it launched in 09. Best $75 I ever used reimbursed pell grant money on.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    All I know is, I haven't run a legal version of Windows since '95, but I was able to reserve a copy of Windows 10.

(I bought it anyway though, time to show some love)
    About a month ago my 8.1 started popping up that I needed to validate my serial number and my registration is going to end a week before 10 comes out. I just really want to avoid having to downgrade then upgrade or however I could get it to work.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

You'll be able to upgrade a pirated version to 10, but you're going to be suffering from some un-optimization that the system will not perform when it checks to the validation of your past key.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Only if you're retarded, because any decent pirated version uses OEM SLP with valid keys.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Updates are ready for most folks, but it'll require some program running. Stolen from reddit:

Check your C:/ for $Windows.~BT
    If you have that, there should be upteen thousand files in there for around 3-6GB of space. DO NOT CLICK THE SETUP

Once you've confirmed that you've preloaded all the windows 10 files, you'll need to decrypt the ESD and make an ISO.

1. Download ESD-Decrypter: http://puu.sh/jgIvb/b60c1072ca.7z
    2. Run the batch file with admin rights and type in "C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Install.esd"
    3. Choose the first option
    4. Once it has done creating the ISO (located in the ESD directory) you can either mount it or install it onto a USB drive.

That should be it.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Also, don't share the ISO with friends/family. It uses your keys to your PC for the upgrade.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Upgraded to windows 10 a few hours ago with no problems for now, but there's a little thing that's bothering me. how do you set up different wallpapers on different displays? I have a 2 monitor setup (one in portrait mode and the other in landscape).and seeing the same for both plus black bars at the top and bottom on the portrait one is annoying.

I used UltraMon with windows 7 to setup different wallpapers on each monitor but I had to uninstall it because it was not compatible with W10 and I have no idea how to do it.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Started testing this for work today, tip for all those uncertain about taking the step:

There's an an option (at least in the Pro version) under restore, to go back to Windows 8.1 that's valid for a month.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Same for the Home version, you can return to W7 as long as it's within a month, it keeps a Windows.old folder with your old windows version.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Also, don't share the ISO with friends/family. It uses your keys to your PC for the upgrade.
    So I have to make a different ISO for each computer I want to upgrade? that's pretty annoying...

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Well, you don't _need_ to do it that way, you can just get the ISO clean from MS ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 )
    Might vary from OEM to OEM, but I used that download on the Surface Pro 3, seems to have worked well, never any key issues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast