+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Skylake may have been interesting if it didn't get delayed so much or if Intel would have chosen to delay Broadwell too. But now BW is already around the corner with SL out. There's a reason why most OEMs ignore SL almost completely...
    DDR4 is still pricey, USB3.1 so new that compatible hardware is either buggy as hell, against the standards or doesn't exist yet.

I see no real reason to upgrade/replace now unless your current rig is crapping out or at its absolute limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    [B]I'd at least wait a bit for DDR4 memory prices to come down.[B] I doubt expecting 10nm architecture to use the LGA1151 socket is a safe bet, so the CPU/mobo would be sunk costs unless you plan on repurposing it for something else entirely.
    See I don't know about this, after looking up prices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...72%20600521523

16GB DDR4 cost Today, what I paid 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel 5 years ago. I since bumped up to 12GB for Half the price I paid 5 years ago.

DDR4 RAM Prices right now are nearly identical, if not cheaper ($/GB) today then they were 5 years ago. This is just a quick analysis, not really in depth.

I'm sure I can think of plenty of ways of repurposing the MB/CPU if I had to for Cannonlake. Hell, by then we'll be talking about 2-3 years? ~$400-500 (would reuse the RAM) seems like a reasonable investment to make right now.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    People want a nextgen console-like experience, but it's just not the way it works.
    ?!?!?!?! You mean the consoles running on old hardware at release?

The problem with the 10% gain in this generation is that it requires more of an investment then the previous steps up due to the change to DDR4

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

If you'll have the funds by then, wait until they release the Broadwell-E set (probably early next year), the lower end of that high end segment has a history of being pretty potent

edit: but like several others have mentioned earlier, the gains are pretty slim unless you're going all in on all the components.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    ?!?!?!?! You mean the consoles running on old hardware at release?
    No, I mean some people expect a new generation of CPU's to be along the same lines as a new generation of consoles in terms of power (PS3 to PS4 is like jumping 4-5 cpu generations). There is no problem with 10%. The switch from DDR2 to DDR3 was pretty much the same.

DDR4 is only more expensive when you're looking to build a system better then a haswell DDR3 system. You need to go up to DDR4-3200+ CL14 or CL15 to break through the DDR3 available now and that's pricey. You can build a skylake system on-par with haswell for similar amounts of money, the skylake system will have more potential though.

DDR4, USB 3.1, onboard M2 support, etc, are the worthwhile upgrades that can increase the over-all performance of a system.

For Enthusiasts the days of OCing cheaper CPUs are basically over, as CPUs get smaller and smaller their thermal tolerance decreases which means you simply can't increase the thermal capacity in such a small space as efficiently anymore.

Intel CPUs basically haven't advanced in roughly 6~ years. Every generation gets a die shrink and that's about it in terms of where the performance boost is coming from. The actual architecture hasn't made any big strides(they have no reason to even try really).

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

I think we know that the process nodes are too small now to ever see massive gains in one generation, but Intel's focus is clearly on power consumption and iGPU -- things enthusiasts just don't care (much) about. It's frustrating to see half the die essentially be a total waste for our market segment. I've also read that Skylake's performance improvements are drastically less impressive once you start overclocking. The combined price of needing a new mobo and ram to do the upgrade (and the chip isn't cheap itself, either) doesn't make it an attractive options this hot minute.