1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 33 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 1 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 8 hours, 33 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    Minus the thing about needing Ravana weapons to complete Alex Normal.
    lol i didn't even see Normal, i thought she was getting them for A1S.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    My biggest fear (aside from them not dropping PS3 support) is that when they do drop the PS3 it's only for future content.

Meaning the base game is still tied to the PS3, and by extension all of the limitations on the most basic shit.
    To be fair though..they drop PS3..it's not going to change yoshi being content doing as little as possible when it seems most are happy with the current route of the game, especially if the servers are the main culprit that they're afraid to increase data even a tiny bit.

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil View Post
    lol i didn't even see Normal, i thought she was getting them for A1S.
    Yeah, I'd say if she ended up on Balmung/Sarga DF, she'd have to carry pretty damn hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    XI's "load times" were primarily bottle-necked by the server being capped to dial-up speeds. Never mind that loading+displaying models is capped at around 2 per second in XI's client regardless of your hard drive.
    Yep, so if that cap wasn't there it'd be more obvious that they figured out how to get around 'ohnoes limitations'.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

My biggest fear (aside from them not dropping PS3 support) is that when they do drop the PS3 it's only for future content.

Meaning the base game is still tied to the PS3, and by extension all of the limitations on the most basic shit.
    This depends on how long SE actually expects FFXIV to run and do good. If they expect the game to run longer then 2 expansion, then yeah they should drop PS3 support at least with the 2. expansion, if not then there is no point in droping it.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Makes no business sense to have PS3 support still go on even if it couldn't access the new expansion, since they still have to get all the new relevant/UI tweaks working for it, along with all the new models/jobs/animations/etc, and whatever QoL they add. Cheaper to just drop the one platform so it's one less SKU to Q&A for every update.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Makes no business sense to have PS3 support still go on even if it couldn't access the new expansion, since they still have to get all the new relevant/UI tweaks working for it, along with all the new models/jobs/animations/etc, and whatever QoL they add. Cheaper to just drop the one platform so it's one less SKU to Q&A for every update.
    no i meant drop PS3 support entirley with the 2. expansion (if there is one) and do all the new relevant/UI tweaks with the 2. expansion release, but as said that depends how long they actually expect the game to run and how high the amount of subscription numbers is on the PS3.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Probably dropping it the same way they plan to drop 360 and PS2 for XI, completely unable to connect, interact and communicate with the servers once March 2016 rolls around and it ships to be a PC onry title.

You can't expect XIV's servers and overall design to match up with that of an older, F2P MMO from a much smaller company.

..........wait.
    Did that F2P MMO run on systems with only 256 megs of ram?

Cause FF14 does(on ps3)

Honestly I'm impressed they have done this much.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/...m-Requirements

GW2 requires 2 gigs of ram.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by lilbubbles View Post
    Did that F2P MMO run on systems with only 256 megs of ram?.
    This doesn't matter because XI runs on faaaaaaaaaar less and they seemingly gotten around plenty of "can't do that, PS2 limitations" problems and still seemed to manage a variety of content even with horizontal growth in mind if we're bringing the consoles into consideration because by this logic: XI shouldn't have progressed past zilart given PS2's low specs. Server architecture has very little to do with consoles. At best you can say how they interact matter (capping data vs uncapping data but this would only affect lag and streaming times) but that's basic for any platform (whether it's a pc client connecting to a server, your phone and so on.) GW2 doesn't run on a console, no, but the servers aren't some $17 sweatshop built ones from china either.

So the point was, Yoshi cites server issues far more than he has/does "PS3 lmitations", and the fact a B2P/F2P MMORPG with an EXTREMELY tiny team under a notoriously shit parent company (Ncsoft) can do better than SE with XIV..there's a problem. No one can even cite: "Well 1.0!!!!" anymore, it's 2 years later and they're opening an EU Datacenter, they have the money and manpower to fix this. It's not like they're sacrificing any content or major update when 3.x is just 2.0 mach flying.

You can't compare to 11. The ps2 couldn't so much as render a single scene from 14.

If you actually look at the ff14 binary you see huge restrictions are in place for everything, saying "server limitations" is probably easier than explaining how complicated the memory budget is for a game like this. It's all clearly the ps3's fault too.

It has some benefit too.. I don't think any company has made a game that looks as good as 14 does and still runs on my laptop.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

They'll drop PS3 when Japan upgrades to PS4. So... in about 3 years or so.

Japan won't even support their own country's new console and games for it, yet the country continues to prioritize them. Its cute, in a stupid, snake-eating-its-own-tail kinda way.

The rest of the major population centers playing the game are PS4 and PC. Japan is PS3 and some PC. The PS3 limitations will remain in place at least until Japan upgrades, kicking and screaming all the way, and, if past history is anything to go on, the game will still be stymied by the old tech foundations locked into the game.

Its like trying to renovate a building into a new super center while having the old support beams and foundation remain intact. You're always going to be limited by how much you can upgrade and modify so long as the old tech foundation still rots away in the center.