+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'd be down for Miami. Some of that snatch down there is cartoonishly ridic.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    Racism is definitely not a "southern problem." It's not as overt as many places, but there's definitely a significant amount even up in MN.
    That's true, but you've never been in Polk County lol.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Thanks for the input, Izzy. It's pretty in depth and what I was looking for. Believe me, most of these things have gone through my head, especially the whole "am I going to be miserable 1 week after moving in". Fortunately I'm single, no g/f or kids. So I wouldn't be dragging anyone down with me. Also, my nieces are very young. 2.5 & 4 months. So one understands people being "away" just not the concept of time yet. It's all the same for her, more or less. I know you can get some pretty cheap flights back and forth between NY & FL. Racism doesn't particularly concern me, as I'm not racist. That's a non issue. Though seeing so much of it would be annoying.

As far as grandma goes, she's not unhealthy, she just got hit with acute bronchitis and asthma at the same time. She's recovering, but it's obviously a lot slower. I went out with her a couple days while I was down there, and she was mostly okay. Just out of breath faster because of the bronc. getting her to move is impossible. We've tried for years. Much like I hate the cold, she hates it even more. Getting her up here past October is a miracle.

Also, being that she's 79, my family and I have stated the obvious "she's not going to be around forever". (we're all very frank in my family) Which leads to the "Then what?" question. After she passes, would I move back to NY? Stay in Florida? No clue. Could be one year from now or 15. At that point I'm 50, and then my parents will need help. It's quite a situation.

I could start another topic about work entirely. My job that I hate pays a decent $22/hr (not great, but not bad either) and I've considered ditching it to work my part time job at Crate and Barrel full time and then get another part time job. It wouldn't come close to what I'm making now, but at least it would be work and I could cover the rent whilst living frugally.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Oh. Single, hate your job, possible employment at disney?

Go for it, man. I know the Uncle feels; I'd love to see my grandnephews more often. But you can go visit fairly often, and you'll be working for Disney. You'd probably get discounts and shit right? Dude, have them visit you and take them to Disney!

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Disney trips for the littleuns would be a great perk of working there. If you're making more than enough to support yourself with, enough that you'll be able to fly up and visit regularly, you'd probably be able to help out with the costs of bringing them down to you for a Disney vacation.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I agree with Bane. That's exactly why I moved. Single (gf and I had just broke up), no kids, and I hated my job. I moved with no job and really no plan other than try to get any job possible. I'm glad I did it even if I ended up back in Michigan. Even though there were good and bad experiences I wouldn't trade any of it for anything.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well, temporary hold on this. My Aunt went down to Florida (after I just got back) and didn't like how my grandmother looked. So my mom (grandma's daughter) convinced her to come up here and see her doctor's to figure out what is going on with her. The doctor's she has are pretty shitty. She might be up here for a month or more while my mom and her brother take turns with her at their houses.

I just saw her. She lost some weight because of sick she was, but while I was down there she was eating a bunch every day. It was about 10 lbs. She's 126 now and about 5'5, so perfectly fine. I'm not complaining though. I miss her a lot and she'll potentially be up here a while so I can think about it.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    Learned that is because Florida is the only state where news media has direct access to all police reports.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free...ation_(Florida)
    Correlation != causation

Sometimes it comes from phone interviews.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Stuff
    Not even an honorable mention or any posts about our trip. It's like I don't even know you!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    Not even an honorable mention or any posts about our trip. It's like I don't even know you!
    I don't know anybody with 3 posts.