Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

FFXI crashing on character select screen...

Whenever I get to the character select screen, my computer immediately crashes before it even loads the characters. I've done a scan and no POL or FFXI files are damaged, so I don't know what else could be causing this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Video card overheating perhaps? If you have a shit card like mine, you will need to install a fan to sit practically on top of it.

I have a Radeon 7200. Should be just fine for FFXI. I'm just worried since it seems to crash only at that point consistently.

Try 3d Analyze, I have a similar problem on my laptop.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

My guess is you recently changed a dat and it went wrong. I once mistook a glove dat for Taru hands somehow and because I had a naked taru mule on my load screen the game crashed each and every time. Took me a few minutes to figure out it was that, reset the dat, problem solved.

(I did read your post and see you did a file check but there's a chance it didn't pick it up if they're the exact same file size I guess.)

That SpellCast Guy
    BG Level

Is this the first time you've tried to play the game since ToAU?

I had this problem right after ToAU came out, along with everyone else that has a Radeon 9200. For some reason the old drivers would cause the computer to totally restart. Your 7200 might be similar, try going to the ATI site and getting the newest drivers for it.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Does Simplified character creation also work for character selection?

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Russta
    My guess is you recently changed a dat and it went wrong. I once mistook a glove dat for Taru hands somehow and because I had a naked taru mule on my load screen the game crashed each and every time. Took me a few minutes to figure out it was that, reset the dat, problem solved.

(I did read your post and see you did a file check but there's a chance it didn't pick it up if they're the exact same file size I guess.)
    Same thing happened to me with hume adaman celatas >_>

I made a Assault Jerkin turn into Koenig Boots...still freaks me out and I'm too lazy to fix it.

Why can't I edit my post... this is annoying.

Anyways... AN Assault Jerkin.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I had the EXACT same problem asyour having right now. Basically you need to upgrade your video card drivers. When I called POL and asked about it I thought it was a little far-fetched but as it turns out it was true. Upgrade to the newest version and try again.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'm going to use this thread to ask for help with a Computer problem because I suck with computers.

Ok, sometimes when I am running FFXI (Using Windower), the sound just stops and it gets really laggy, and soon after my FFXI will just freeze up and have to be restarted. Sometimes it will just freeze on its own with no warning as well.

My computer will sometimes just randomly restart on its own, and recently, my computer would close every program running and turn into a Blue Screen with White letters saying that there was some sort of problem, and that it closed the programs to prevent damage, or something like that.

Also... my Videocard is a GeForce Nvidia FX 5500 or something like that, I'm not sure if it is a good card for playing FFXI, or if I would be better off getting a new card.

Thanks for any help!

Well, I've found the problem, though I don't know how to fix it. POL is not updating for me, and I have an outdated version of POL at the moment. I've tried re-installing POL, but it won't update even after I reinstalled it.