+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Pretty much all you ever need to know about Scientology

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Yeh scientology is definetely not a laughing matter. Some of the stuff it teaches is just seriously stupid. And to believe it you'd have to literally be insane or slowly go insane. That stuff about Lisa McPherson, if it is true is particularly frightening.

sounds like most churches

I love you axil

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Axil
    sounds like most churches
    of the 16th century.

Last I checked, run of the mill jews/catholics/muslims aren't kidnapped from hospitals and left alone without food/water to die.

Anymore.

Organized religion may be a pile of shit, but Scientology is shat out by the bugs feeding off the bottom of said pile.

Just to put some perspective on things.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Remember those Hale-Bop and Heaven’s Gate people?

THIS IS NOT LIVEJOURNAL DOT COM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Detheroc

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/st ... cientology

I thought this was a good article they published.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Those poor people ><;

Just read that rolling stone's article, it sickening that Hubbard created the religion over money and it seems to me an obsession with sci-fi/comic books...

Scientology is certainly the thing to gasp and gawk over on the internet, I've noticed. People only like to parade it like an electronic freak show, though. I suppose that's good enough to keep many from entering the church itself, but it doesn't address any concerns. If it's really a threat, then it needs to be challenged. I personally would welcome the fall of this great mockery of a religion.

Also... Haxil... I don't know what happened to you to make you hate organised religion so much. Maybe you, like many, have only been fed the many horrors caused by such organisations. Maybe you've reached the point where you don't see the overwhelming good that has also emerged from them. The social structure of religion isn't a dark and terrible place of evil, but an outlet from which some of the greatest goods or evils can pour out from.

Forum Donator
    BG Level

After 29 years on this planet, the following is my view on organized religion. In no way do I assert that my view is correct or incorrect. This is merely how I see things:

No good has ever come from any form of organized religion. People who blindly follow organized religion, although often times quite misguided, do accomplish good things on their own, but please don't confuse that with the organization itself accomplishing any good though. People that truly believe in God for the most part want to do good, and their are plenty of people throughout time that have been ready and willing to take advantage of that. Usually they go by the title of Rabbi, Priest, or Cleric....etc).

Organized religion exists for 3 reasons:

1) To effect a measure of control of a society or group of like minded people. If people were to come to the realization that there is no afterlife, and that once you have died there are no consequences for your actions while living, there would be mass depression and chaos. It gives the people a reason to follow a moral code in the hopes of being rewarded with "eternal life" or "X virgins" when they die, if they follow the word of God (which is really the word of the founding members of the cult....err, I mean Religion).

2) To take advantage of the gullible public by using their generous donations to maintain their status as the largest land owners on Earth.

3) As an excuse to rally people to a cause worth fighting for. Nothing gets people motivated for a good old fashioned war like "God and his divine providence command us to kill some brown people".

That's all I've got.

"Text."

Not: "Text".

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by mrfridays
    No good has ever come from any form of organized religion.
    I stop reading there because clearly, you cant have a rational opinion.

Forum Donator
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Fair enough. Perhaps you should light a candle and pray for my soul. I am a lost cause apparently.

You obviously offended his religious beliefs and therefore he feels your opinion is irrational. 'I don't agree with what you said so your opinion is hogwash!' That sounds rational enough, right?

I, however, couldn't agree with your 3 reasons more, mrfridays.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

consistent with or based on or using reason; "rational behavior"; "a process of rational inference"; "rational thought"
    intellectual: of or associated with or requiring the use of the
    mind; "intellectual problems"; "the triumph of the rational over the animal side of man"

capable of being expressed as a quotient of integers; "rational numbers"
    rational number: an integer or a fraction

having its source in or being guided by the intellect (distinguished from experience or emotion); "a rational analysis"

Religion is for people who are afraid of living for themselves.

"No good has ever come from any form of organized religion."

Well I'm a 20 year old christian, I attend a campus christian club and go to church, I happen to love the people at church and find them to be some of the most honest people I've ever met. I don't tell people they're going to hell, i don't kill people, I don't try to change other people, I'm happy with the way I am and enjoy living a christian life. Back home in Minnesota I'm the only christian in my group but we all still get along great.

So wait, No good has ever come from any form of organized religion? What about me? The original statement is such an irrational blanket-statement you obviously have a strong bias against religion, so why read on? I think that's what Kaylia is saying.

I'm not gonna read a paper that starts off:
    "I think non-christians are going to hell and they're all terrible people."

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Fair enough. Perhaps you should light a candle and pray for my soul. I am a lost cause apparently.
    Your reply just made me confirm what I stated previously. You can't analyze something thoroughly because you only stop to the bad side of something. What's next? You will pretend to be a science guy, despite the fact you can't analyse something fully.

What's about those charity organism funded by religious group? I guess they only exist to avoid taxes, arent they? Many of the important figured who preached justice and other good value were religious people? But I guess they were all doing this because of their selfish desire to save their own soul?
    Being religious isn't all about soul redemption, it's usually about doing what is morally right according to your beliefs. You can blame them for following a predetermined set of belief, but it's not really different than your beliefs.

You obviously offended his religious beliefs and therefore he feels your opinion is irrational. 'I don't agree with what you said so your opinion is hogwash!' That sounds rational enough, right
    Kinda funny because I'm not religious at all. I'm studying maths informatics and physics and that's what I like.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Hilander
    consistent with or based on or using reason; "rational behavior"; "a process of rational inference"; "rational thought"
    intellectual: of or associated with or requiring the use of the
    mind; "intellectual problems"; "the triumph of the rational over the animal side of man"

capable of being expressed as a quotient of integers; "rational numbers"
    rational number: an integer or a fraction

having its source in or being guided by the intellect (distinguished from experience or emotion); "a rational analysis"
    An opinion has to be backed up by a logical reasoning, otherwise, it means absolutely nothing. That's not what he did in his post, he just bashed religion based on certain action made in the past, ignoring everything good.

No, religion isn't a tool to manipulate people. Some people used it for that in the past, and some people will again, but that's not why it exists.

Religion is for people who are afraid of living for themselves.
    I thought it was myspace.com

There is as many case of depression or mental illness by religious people and than there is by non religious people. There isnt much difference between believing or not believing. You will ask yourself the same question in both case, or you will just avoid them like many people do.
    Only differences between both for most people is that you have to wake up early sunday morning.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Can you think of anything good that has come from it? People who are into that stuff, imo, are just as silly as the scientologists(the beliefs). So many of the info in the christian religion can be disproven time and time again.. yet people still believe in it, that has always bugged me.

But I suppose people are free to have their own beliefs, no matter how silly they are if they arent hurting others... and it looks like that is what scientology is doing.

Ghandi was part of an organized religion. oh and i just said what i said because i stoped at the part where they generally attacked the dissenters, like anyone who values power would.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast