Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FFXI on the Ipod     submit to reddit submit to twitter

FFXI on the Ipod

Wondering if anyone had tried installing FFXI and playing it from an Ipod? I saw a bunch of WoW folks doing this and was considering investigating doing the same when I deploy again early in 2008. I don't expect to be able to do much if it works because of limits on time on the computer at one time, but thought it be nice for crafting/fishing/gardening and anything else similiar.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

wtf m8

are you sure they werent just playing an ipod video? Theres no keyboard or mouse on the ipod, not to mention the extremely small screen.

Old Merits
    BG Level

& it's processing power

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

He didn't explain it too well, but I'll try to fill in how this works.

Basically you can turn your iPod into a firewire hard disk and mount it with WoW/FFXI already installed on it. Just need to apply a registry patch then probably to get that pointing to the installation and voila, instant plug-and-play ffxi on any computer. Playing WoW/FFXI on an actual ipod would be quite dificult indeed.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal

Basically you can turn your iPod into a firewire hard disk and mount it with WoW/FFXI already installed on it. Just need to apply a registry patch then probably to get that pointing to the installation and voila, instant plug-and-play ffxi on any computer. Playing WoW/FFXI on an actual ipod would be quite dificult indeed.
    I'm still confused

The problem I see with that is FFXI heavy reliance on the registry. While you can just copy your WoW folder and ran in w/o a proper installation, FFXI won't let you do that.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal

I'm still confused
    An iPod is basicly a portable HDD. You can reverse engineer it to download FFXI/WoW/whatever else onto it as you would say a flash drive. Then you can use that on a PC anywhere. I bet some MIT kids could do it no problem.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I'm confused at first lol, I thought he means playing FFXI/WoW on iPod itself. What he's talking about is to make iPod like portable HDD like the above poster says, and you can bring it on any computer and play FFXI there.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Wouldnt work.

It would be quicker to install FFXI on every computer you want to play it on; by the time you could (and I dont think its possible) get FFXI to run off the IPOD, you could of just installed the game normally.

Even if you saved a working reg pointing to the IPOD and loaded it to each computer, and somehow managed to get that to work (POL and FFXI wouldnt communicate properly), the IPOD would probably blow up from being hammered so much.

Plus all the 50 other some minor details.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

what about updates?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Wouldnt work.

It would be quicker to install FFXI on every computer you want to play it on; by the time you could (and I dont think its possible) get FFXI to run off the IPOD, you could of just installed the game normally.

Even if you saved a working reg pointing to the IPOD and loaded it to each computer, and somehow managed to get that to work (POL and FFXI wouldnt communicate properly), the IPOD would probably blow up from being hammered so much.

no, it can work.

I'll try to explain this as best as possible as i'm in a hurry right now (got a new job, start today).

the ipod is pretty much a laptop hard drive (some now are mem chips) stuck inside some fancy casings. When you plug it into a computer, it will be the same as connecting a external 250g usb drive/whatever

pol uses the registery to locate where your pol is installed amongs other things (vid settings etc).

You can manually configure all of those or keep them all default with the exeption of just editing the registry that tells where the install is.

So if your ipod gets designated removable drive H:, then you point pol to that area.

If I had an ipod, I'd show you. The most I can prob do now is tetra master working from my psp because I don't own an ipod.

i'll do it when i get back home and post it.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Wouldnt work.

no, it can work.

I'll try to explain this as best as possible as i'm in a hurry right now (got a new job, start today).

the ipod is pretty much a laptop hard drive (some now are mem chips) stuck inside some fancy casings. When you plug it into a computer, it will be the same as connecting a external 250g usb drive/whatever

pol uses the registery to locate where your pol is installed amongs other things (vid settings etc).

You can manually configure all of those or keep them all default with the exeption of just editing the registry that tells where the install is.

So if your ipod gets designated removable drive H:, then you point pol to that area.

If I had an ipod, I'd show you. The most I can prob do now is tetra master working from my psp because I don't own an ipod.

i'll do it when i get back home and post it.
    Hmm, I didnt know that, I was never a fan of the IPOD, so I never got one / looked in to it. If its true that it acts like a normal HD, I guess as long as whoever is making/editing the reg knows wtf he is doing, I guess it could work out.

Of course you can even assign a fixed letter to a removable device, so you don't have to tinker with the registry-settings every time you connect (and might get a different drive-letter in the process).

I haven't taken a closer look at the registry, but a friend told me POL was very anal about it and wanted to save lots of crap there. Maybe someone with more know-how could enlighten me.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

That's a neat idea. I'm assuming you need POL installed on the target PC, and just have FFXI files on the Ipod?

Dezz also mentioned Firewire, would USB 2.0 work, or is it not fast enough?
    [edit] nevermind, found out USB2 hi-speed is generally faster than Firewire.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by fumbletweed
    Of course you can even assign a fixed letter to a removable device, so you don't have to tinker with the registry-settings every time you connect (and might get a different drive-letter in the process).

I haven't taken a closer look at the registry, but a friend told me POL was very anal about it and wanted to save lots of crap there. Maybe someone with more know-how could enlighten me.
    Yeah, that was my original concern, POL/FFXI hacks the crap out of the registry. However there are programs that monitors software installation to see what changes it makes to the registry, and some that can find all the reg edits by program name.

Maybe there is a way to find out what POL/FFXI changes in the reg by looking at the installation package, but that goes beyond my knowledge.

Yeah I would be using the Ipod as a HDD. There was about 3 people I watched plug in Ipods and play WoW many times over a few month time frame. I had the thought before, but did not believe I would be able to run such a program with the lack of admin rights and filters impossed at deployed locations for security purposes. As I mentioned before I think it would be nice just to craft/fish/garden while im deployed, but depending on how well it works It could allow me to play on campus if Im not allowed to install the game on the lab computer where I work part time between classes >.>'

Good point you brought up there - FFXI only runs for admins AFAIK (can't check since I'm at work) and not even Power-user will do.

Legendary Large Tarutaru
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Does it matter that WoW will play on Macs and FFXI won't?

Quote Originally Posted by Corgan
    Does it matter that WoW will play on Macs and FFXI won't?
    *shrugs* I wouldn't be trying to play it on a Mac...so I highly doubt it

Legendary Large Tarutaru
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Well I just thought maybe since iPods are Apple products it might be part of the reason you can play WoW on them.