+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Microsoft in talks to buy Capcom

"In the last EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) issue a rumour was reported about Microsoft intention of acquiring Capcom in order to make the famous Asiatic software-house a first-party developer.

Obviously, this is something like a sci-fi rumour! Capcom is one of the greatest Japanese software-houses and during its 27 years of activity it has never been a first-party developer.

Capcom acquisition would certainly help Microsoft with Xbox 360 sales in Japan as it will imply the exclusive on several games such as Devil May Cry (which has always been a Sony PS exclusive) and Resident Evil series.

Furthermore, it would be superficial to think that Dead Rising great success has been the only reason for such a "join-venture".

What do we think? This rumour will probably end in an air bubble but history teaches us (see Rare and Bungie acquisitions) that Microsoft is unforeseeable..."

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's in that rumor section which is pretty innaccurate as far as rumors go. Sometimes I think they just make up whatever wild rumors they want. But as a current 360 owner I would cream my pants if I got exclusive Capcom games. I buy almost all their games anyways, having them on one system would give me one less reason to want a PS3 in the future (DMC4 prz).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

this 1 could be reasonable tho, if you take it into consideration, Microsoft buying capcom would help them out bigtime overseas, it might cost them alot but help them out in the long run and in next gen race.

Don't get me wrong, MS surprised me with the success of the 360 thus far, and good games such as DR and GoW, but one thing that really makes me disrespect them is that the only ways they gain marketshare is just by stealing companies from Nintendo, Sony.
    Rare is the perfect example. I wish they didn't sell out, but it is a business so I can understand. But imagine all those fucking huge games that could have been on the Virtual Console. See: Goldeneye, Banjo, Conker.
    Imagine Goldeneye as a launch VC title with online multiplayer - thats a system seller sir. Maybe MS will do it, why haven't they yet in the XBL Arcade? But either way, they can't start their own companies, save their first party titles. And this is just another example. It really puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Xavier

When your pockets are lined with gold, anything is possible.

Although its kind of a crappy policy, if you look at Rare, they haven't made a great game since the N64 rofl.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    Don't get me wrong, MS surprised me with the success of the 360 thus far, and good games such as DR and GoW, but one thing that really makes me disrespect them is that the only ways they gain marketshare is just by stealing companies from Nintendo, Sony.
    Rare is the perfect example. I wish they didn't sell out, but it is a business so I can understand. But imagine all those fucking huge games that could have been on the Virtual Console. See: Goldeneye, Banjo, Conker.
    Imagine Goldeneye as a launch VC title with online multiplayer - thats a system seller sir. Maybe MS will do it, why haven't they yet in the XBL Arcade? But either way, they can't start their own companies, save their first party titles. And this is just another example. It really puts a bad taste in my mouth.
    thats buisness >.<

Quote Originally Posted by melbufrauma
    thats buisness >.<
    Nintendo and Sony don't do it, for the most part.
    I would say a disclaimer, but can't think of one. MS does it OVER AND OVER.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by melbufrauma
    thats buisness >.<
    Nintendo and Sony don't do it, for the most part.
    I would say a disclaimer, but can't think of one. MS does it OVER AND OVER.
    Maybe Nintendo should.

This generation will show they don't need to.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Oh shit, I totally forgot there wasn't going to be a Goldeneye VC. Wow, my day is fucking shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace
    Oh shit, I totally forgot there wasn't going to be a Goldeneye VC. Wow, my day is fucking shot.
    Yup

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Good lord. I'm having horrible visions of them uploading the Windows OS into Mega Man, and Mega Man immediately exploding when he charged his laser...

killerc4

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace
    Oh shit, I totally forgot there wasn't going to be a legal Goldeneye VC. Wow, my day is fucking shot.
    Yup
    gogo mod community =P

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier

Although its kind of a crappy policy, if you look at Rare, they haven't made a great game since the N64 rofl.
    They just put out Viva Pinata, which so far has been getting really good reviews.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier

They just put out Viva Pinata, which so far has been getting really good reviews.
    So in the span of 2 consoles ( xbox and xbox360 ) they finally released 1 good game, unlike SNES/N64's DKC1/2/3, DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, Conquer's Bad Fur Day, Banjo Kazooie 1/2, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, etc etc

I think it is known that MS bought a stellar company.

Then again, I heard that when MS bought Rare, a big ton of their important staff left the company to make their own companies since they weren't happy with the decision.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Microsoft tried to buy Capcom years ago back before they launched the Xbox. They also tried to buy or reach a "Do not compete" agreeement with Nintendo, and also looked into buying SE, Factor 5 and a few others. It's all in "Opening the Xbox."

They didn't then and I don't think they will now. Capcom's not like Bungie was nor Rare.

Xavier

Is Capcom a public company or private? I don't know, and I guess I really don't know how business works in Japan either.

In America, if a company comes in with an attractive enough buyout offer, even if you don't want to sell, your board can force your hand so they can go on a year long cruise around the world.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Microsoft can have Capcom, IMO. The last great game they made was Street Fighter II, and even that was a sequel.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Well MS did buy Mistwalker pretty much and that was a big part of the original FF crew from Square. Microsoft is trying to buy their way into supremacy. If they buy Capcom things will get interesting, doubt they will sell out to MS though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar
    Microsoft can have Capcom, IMO. The last great game they made was Street Fighter II, and even that was a sequel.
    Resident Evil? (all of them except for Code Veronica and the MMO one)
    edit - Nemesis was pretty bad too.
    But yea that comment holds no weight.