Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Gear/Efficient use of weaponskills/Peacock charm questions

This is me, I am a Dragoon with nothing to lose (Nothing but party invites )

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2...2154610lo4.png

Anyway, right now I am planning ahead what gear I will be needing soon.
    By level 50 I hope to have:

Feet : Volans Greaves Lv38 Feet Def: 9 Jump: Accuracy+4 (Macro)
    Rings: WoodsmanX2 (Have no idea how I will get the gil for this.)
    Head: Voyager Sallet (Have a group willing to go, I think...)
    Belt: Life Belt (Duhh)
    Back: Jaguar Mantle
    Ear: Tortoise Earring +1X2
    Hand: Spiked Finger Gauntlets (Would this fully replace battle gloves?)
    Weapon: Mythril Lance

The rest of my gear looks like it's going to stay the same. Is there any other gear thats better or that I should be looking out for? Also, what kind of food should I be eating, I was told to use rice dumplings until 40 but what do I use after that?

I will be getting Penta soon. From what I have heard it has STR mods, when I use Penta should I swich out to STR gear or stay with acc stuff for more hits. Would I do the same for Wheeling Thrust?

Last question, I am thinking of doing the BCNM 40 for a peacock charm. If
    I get it, would it be even worth using? I'd have to get rid of my neckpiece for it, so I would be low on STR. Or could I get rid of my life belt and get a
    sword belt or something like that.

I know I am asking a lot but thanks for reading/answering.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

STR is borderline worthless for normal mele attacks I would not think twice about using chram, if nothing else @lvl60 with GK Lance SH/Peti available and your woodsman rings, there is really no reason to not be eating meat. which will do way more for you than spike necklace.

Multiple-hit weaponskills demand accuracy to land all hits.

Oddly enough, so does regular meleeing.

Yes, a peacock charm will be a brilliant investment, for every level of every melee job.

Don't worry about strength gear. For building TP it has minimal returns at best. Accuracy or attack gear will reap much more benefit than strength.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

STR+sushi = gimp
    acc gear + meat =pimp

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Quote Originally Posted by Medivac
    STR+sushi = gimp
    acc gear + meat =pimp
    When leveling its really hard to cap your ACC to make meat give out more DoT than sushi.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Palin
    STR+sushi = gimp
    acc gear + meat =pimp
    When leveling its really hard to cap your ACC to make meat give out more DoT than sushi.
    You don't need to cap acc for meat to out DoT sushi.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

STR+sushi = gimp
    acc gear + meat =pimp
    perhaps but he said he's going to use all his seals going for a PCC, which if he sucseeds, Meat will own sushi in the face

Woodsmans + PCC + http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/479, take your pick on SH or Peti.

I know people like to joke about drgs not getting acc gear but, the truth is they get no attk gear (no chainmail sets) with the ability to only really equip accuracy body peices, a meat build is the way to go.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike
    STR+sushi = gimp
    acc gear + meat =pimp
    You don't need to cap acc for meat to out DoT sushi.
    You don't need to, but from my experiences, most of the time even a small boost in ACC that sushi provides will break even or give you more consistent damage averages than eating meat. Its very rare that the extra damage per swing will offset the damage of an extra 5-10%ish ACC, ACC makes that big of a difference.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

but in the case of dragoon who really can't get any attk till feral/assult in thie high 60s you might find it to be a diffrent story.

Vobent

Quote Originally Posted by XxSlusherxx
    but in the case of dragoon who really can't get any attk till feral/assult in thie high 60s you might find it to be a diffrent story.
    With ACC bonus trait

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Quote Originally Posted by XxSlusherxx
    You might be right! I'm only basing my experiences off WAR and NIN who can get reasonable ATK setups. For DRG it might be a different story.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: Gear/Efficient use of weaponskills/Peacock charm questio

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylitter
    Feet : Volans Greaves Lv38 Feet Def: 9 Jump: Accuracy+4 (Macro)
    Rings: WoodsmanX2 (Have no idea how I will get the gil for this.)
    Head: Voyager Sallet (Have a group willing to go, I think...)
    Belt: Life Belt (Duhh)
    Back: Jaguar Mantle
    Ear: Tortoise Earring +1X2
    Hand: Spiked Finger Gauntlets (Would this fully replace battle gloves?)
    Weapon: Mythril Lance
    Yes the Spiked Finger Gauntlets would replace Battle gloves and if you get SFG's get used to them, they're one of the few +attk pieces DRG can equip so you'll still be using them at 75 (or Tarasque mitts+1s later on, difference between the two is purely aesthetical).
    Also, I don't know about your server but on Asura Tortoise Earring +1s are pretty rare and go for 450k. If you have problems finding the gil for Woodsmans I wouldn't even worry about tortoises, everything else in your list should come first especially considering that tortoise earrings are only useful for 10 levels. Woodsman rings, Life belt and SFGs last you forever. 55 you get Spike earrings and after that look up for example Assault/Fowling/Triumph/Coral+1s which are pretty much the staple earring choices for good.
    Pure STR isn't all it's cranked up to be, if your Voyager sallet group doesn't happen then Walkure/Valkyrie's mask are great too.

I will be getting Penta soon. From what I have heard it has STR mods, when I use Penta should I swich out to STR gear or stay with acc stuff for more hits. Would I do the same for Wheeling Thrust?
    Penta has both STR/DEX mods but like pointed out eariler it's a multi-hit weaponskill so you may want to leave some +accuracy gear on for it. I'm elvaan and some days it feels I can't hit the side of a barn when standing inside so I tend to keep my biggest +acc pieces (life belt, opti hat) in with the Penta macro and load up STR/attk to where I can only get smaller amounts of accuracy which works well for me (I don't have any polearm merits). As a mithra you might want a slightly different balance. Wheeling thrust is one hit only and has only STR mod so then you can load up on STR gear.

Last question, I am thinking of doing the BCNM 40 for a peacock charm. If
    I get it, would it be even worth using? I'd have to get rid of my neckpiece for it, so I would be low on STR. Or could I get rid of my life belt and get a
    sword belt or something like that.
    Yes PCC is very much worth using if you can get it and yes Swordbelt+1 is also a good purchase, but do not for the love of god sell your Life belt for it. I'm only a sunday dragoon and talking from personal experience, but like all gear it's situational. There are days and mobs that you want a good +attk build for. There are days and mobs you want all the +acc you can get.

Sword Belt+1, Spiked Finger Gauntlets/Tarasque Mitts+1 and Assault Jerkin are the only considerable attack boost pieces of gear DRG gets. All other equipment slots end up being filled up with +accuracy or some minuscule stat boosts just because there is nothing else. If I'm at the borderline of needing either more +attk or more +acc it's usually Life belt and Swordbelt+1 that get swapped around. Also, you can equip Swordbelt at 43 so you get 5 levels out of it before Life Belt. If you have issues with money just get the NQ, missing out on 2 attk isn't the end of the world.

All this talk about meat builds though, I wouldn't start eating meat all the time when still grinding through the middle levels especially if you're fighting IT+ mobs. I used to always carry meat with me though and swap to it when mobs turned low-ITs and VTs or if there was a bard (the irony, I think I had one once). In my experience you need about +40ish accuracy to be able to get away with eating meat, for me it was at around lvl57-60 (+10S.harness +10snipers +10lifebelt +7 GKLance +5ChivChain and for what it's worth +2AssaultEarring), if you can get PCC you can by all means try earlier. Eating meat owns but it's not really an option until you can get a sufficient amount of +accuracy.
    Sorry about long post, lost concept of time and need sleep. Hope it helps.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Granted I don't have a lot of experience as I'm just taking DRG up now, but I really think you can't go wrong with Acc+ until you start getting close to capping out on Acc. I decided to try meat in a PT earlier today and parse it out.

I'm 43 so first I tried Meat+Swordbelt+1. I compared myself damagewise to the SAM in the PT (who was well geared mind you). I was hitting for around 60% acc (woodsman's, Battle Gloves). After 30 minutes I decided to try Meat+Tilt Belt. In the next 30 minutes I started hitting around 70% acc. I was just starting to catch up to the SAM.

I finally took the plunge and went with Tilt+Rice Dumps. Only 10 more Acc than I started with and I was hitting for 80% acc and was starting the damage%/mob against the SAM.

I'd definitely keep your biggest Acc build available for when your PT decides to overhunt a lot. Unless your PT is fighting T-VT (which is rare considering the first time you get less than 200 XP for a single mob people want to change camps) I don't think you'll be able to over do the Acc for the best DoT.

Carry meat and sushi as well as acc and atk gear. Attack is gonna do more for you overall than STR is even on WSs and with any multi-hit you're gonna wanna lean toward the acc anyway. I think Walk/Valk mask will outperform Sallet until you actually start hitting the ceiling on Atk (which you most likely won't do). Sallet will still be hot for your single hit WSs though later on.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

/summons michaera wif catnip

listen to this cat and guide her michameow

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Vigilia is right about the choices; also PCC, life belt and woodsmans(jaeger is fine if u can get one with sallet) I would go for 1st then SFG then SH(when u get there); peti is cheap should be able to get easy if u cant get SH and 60 GKL ftw; sallet or valk/walk mask fine for a long time; earrings beetle+1 fine til fang/spike/assault; Bastok/Republican Greaves/Cuisses for areas your nation has are worth looking into; 40 tilt belt and 43 sword belt+1.