+ Reply to Thread

Questions to anyone who owns or knows about motorcycles

I'm very interested in getting a motorcycle, however, I don't have much knowledge of them other than some reading, but some of it is just kinda "whoosh".

1. I drive a looong way from home to work, college, etc. and I don't know if a motorcycle can handle the long trips I make. Because most listings I read people are selling bikes with 1,600ish miles on them, and I put that kind of mileage on in a month.

2. If they can handle the mileage, which type should I get? I can't decide between cruiser, sport, or sport touring( not looking for the ones with the compartments on them, but I read they are gear more to longer trips)

3. Which models/years would be best to get on a students budget? And are there dealerships that sell older models(late 1990's). Also, how much should payments be, and how much does insurance cost?

4. How much does the MSF course usually cost?

5. How much does proper gear usually cost, and are there any brand name type retail stores for it?

6. I'm about 6' 5"ish and 226lbs which seat height should I be looking for, or is it just a mater of my own comfort when shopping for one.

7. What is the routine maintenance schedule for a motorcycle? (oil change, air cleaner change, etc.)

8. how long do tires last under normal conditions?

I'm kinda ignorant to all of this, but it's something I've been wanting to do.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Get this bike..... Turbocharged Suzuki Hyabusa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPBChC7- ... ed&search=

I'm a sports bike enthusiast, can't help you with what you want.

I'm not ignorant enough to think a hayabusa is even an option, but thanks for wanting me to end up like Big Ben.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

1. I drive a looong way from home to work, college, etc. and I don't know if a motorcycle can handle the long trips I make. Because most listings I read people are selling bikes with 1,600ish miles on them, and I put that kind of mileage on in a month.

The bikes now can handle lots of miles if you take care of them. The ones you see for sale with low miles are because it's a lot easier to switch bikes than cars and people buy them and just don't like it.

2. If they can handle the mileage, which type should I get? I can't decide between cruiser, sport, or sport touring( not looking for the ones with the compartments on them, but I read they are gear more to longer trips)

It depends on what you want to do; long trips a cruiser is best, for more 'fun' riding, a sport bike is my favorite. A sport touring is a great compromise, but not as comfortable as a cruiser like a Goldwing is for longer trips. A sportbike can be used for long trips also, but they can get a bit uncomfortable (I can do maybe 450 miles on my ZX-6RR with only stopping for gas before I have to take a 15-30 minute break to relax).
    It really depends on what you want to do with it, haha.

3. Which models/years would be best to get on a students budget? And are there dealerships that sell older models(late 1990's). Also, how much should payments be, and how much does insurance cost?

Most places won't sell a late 1990s bike, but for a first bike, if you want a sportbike a Ninja 500 would be best for your size and weight. It'll have enough power to pull you along the highway at a good clip and it's a great first bike to ride for a season or two, plus they are cheap. The late 80s to the modern model now are almost exactly the same, so plenty of parts and you can pick a good priced one.
    Not sure on payments, I've only bought used. Insurance, depending on age, can be costly. My bike is 800/year for full coverage, 21, no accidents or tickets, through State Farm. Progressive was 2500 a year for same coverage, so shop around.

4. How much does the MSF course usually cost?

I think in Florida it's 150 or 200 dollars, might vary by state.

5. How much does proper gear usually cost, and are there any brand name type retail stores for it?

Depends on the gear. Leather jackets run between 150 to 500, pants anywhere from 100 to 300, boots can be had for 100 to 900, helmets 100 to 650, gloves 40 to 250 or so. It varies as you can see Lower priced stuff isn't 'bad', but it won't be as comfortable as higher priced items. Basically, I would budget an initial 700 or so dollars for a first set of gear along with the bike.
    I would do most shopping online, http://www.newenough.com, is a great place to start. Go to local shop and try stuff on then buy online!

6. I'm about 6' 5"ish and 226lbs which seat height should I be looking for, or is it just a mater of my own comfort when shopping for one.

Comfort is number 1, which one feels best when you sit on it. Most sportbikes are adjustable. Cruisers, not sure, I don't ride them.

7. What is the routine maintenance schedule for a motorcycle? (oil change, air cleaner change, etc.)

Oil around every 3k miles for me. I clean my chain every 500 miles and lube it when I feel necessary. Tire changes 5000 to 10000 miles depending on tire. Valve checks are usually 14-16k miles on a sportbike.
    Cruisers are probably different, like I said, I mainly just ride sportbikes.

8. how long do tires last under normal conditions?

For sportbikes, depends on tire. Sport touring tires are good for 10000+ miles usually I think. For street/trackday tires, you can get 6000 miles, maybe more if you are easy on them. I've also known people who burn a set of tires up in 3000 miles, lol.

I'm actually buying one myself next month, i'm thinking one of these two.

Suzuki GSX-R:
    http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/9...kibike1ik9.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R6

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/6...6dpbmcsec4.jpg

Edit: sorry for the big pic on the second one , I just wanted to show all the details!

Check out Buell's bikes, they are a mix of both, witch sounds like what you could use.

http://www.buell.com/en_us/home.asp

So any bike could handle my 96 mile (roundtrip) between home and school?

and thats $800 for a whole year of full coverage? Because thats pretty cheap, I'm about to turn 20 and I have no wrecks (none filed anyway) and no tickets so that should be nice.

I think you may have sold me on getting one, my mom won't be happy lol.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Yea, pretty much any bike (give or take, an Aprillia RS50 might not be able to lol) can do that easy. Your insurance will vary from state to state; from what other people pay, if you can get StateFarm it is the cheapest it seems. Progressive/Geiko are usually around the same, for me at least. Get a cheap used bike for your first one, not a new one, you will drop it. A used bike hurts a lot less than a new one when it gets scratched, haha. Also a 600cc supersport is not the way to go for a first bike; they are pretty out there as far as performance goes and they are really responsive, a bit too much so for a first time rider. The Ninja 500 is a great choice in my opinion, or maybe a CBR 600 F2 or F3, maybeeeee a F4i. Just look around classifieds and you'll find a good one, especially now since most bikes are cheaper in the winter than spring/summer.

Dude, since you have such a ridiculously long trip, go for a bike with a more upright seating. I think Comfort in this scenario should be number 1 priority.

It'll save your wrists and/or your back lol.

You'll suddenly realise that after your wrists get sore style isn't all it was cracked up to be haha

Its only 48 miles to school and 48 back which is about 50 minutes a trip, but I wouldn't be driving that everyday, I'd alternate with my car too. I think sport bikes would probably be cheaper, Also it's not like I'm going to buy the first shiny one I see, I plan on trying out a lot of them before I decide.

My 2 bits....

After putting over 20,000 miles on my last bike that i just sold and having numerous bikes I would suggest staying away from Sports Bikes. And realize my last bike was a Busa so yeah i loves the speed. BUT they are hard on your back and wrists for long rides. Only sport bike i was comfortable riding for long distances was my Busa. And I am 6'6" 220lb so am pretty close to your size. The Yamaha's are way to small for us and who wants to ride a Cow although the new 1400 looks fun. Then add the fact if you got to carry anything it goes on your back if your on a rocket. Your insurance will be retarded if you go with a RR model bike too. Luckily I live where insurance isn't required for bikes

I would suggest going with a cheap road bike in the 600-800cc range and see how you get along. You can pick up a used one for $1500 or less. Yeah it may not be much to look at but i would highly suggest you do it. I used to commute 50miles a day on my bike and well it takes getting used to. Not as easy as just jumping in and turning the key and heading out. Bikes are ALOT of responsibility to yourself. You have to be 100% while you are riding them or boom you go down. Not like you can sip your coffee and snack on your donut and well yeah you can listen to music if you want but i always thought that defeated the purpose of riding a bike. Just trying to say don't go out and blow $8000 on a good looking bike just to realize you don't really like commuting on it.

And as far as gear goes i found $$$=Comfort. I probably have more money into my gear than I had into my bike but when you want to put a couple thousand miles on your bike in a weekend you want to be comfortable.

Lasso

A couple sites you can use as resource:

http://www.sportbikes.net

http://www.cycleforums.com

Mostly sport bikes related, but both forums have a newbie/new rider area that has some stickies you might want to browse through.

It's quite a pricey hobby. I suggest you look into taking a course that will provide the bike/gear and see how you like it first. A few local courses here also do your MSF license and provide the bike for your road test as well.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I gotta disagree with a few of the people on here, you won't want a Ninja 500 a few months after owning it. While it is a nice starter bike, it's probably going to be a lil underpowered for you. Check out the Ninja 650R http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Det...t=introduction This is a great beginner bike as well, but it has more get up for when you get the hang of things so you just may hang on to it longer than a 500.

Quote Originally Posted by dritero
    Get this bike..... Turbocharged Suzuki Hyabusa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPBChC7- ... ed&search=

I'm a sports bike enthusiast, can't help you with what you want.
    Argh, boner. I'd love to get my hands on a Hayabusa. But Ducati will be good enough. ^-^

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Remy I drove my GSXR 600 (03) everyday for 2 years put 23k miles on it. Normal Stree tires will run ya about 6-8k ish miles depending on how you drive them. If you race then they'll last around 6k if you jus ride then they'll last you longer. My Pilot Powers Lasted me 8k miles and were awesome. I now have a GSXR 1000 (05) and i drive it everyday except on icy days. Drive in rain as well. Gas is nice as well. I fill up once a week and it cost about $10. Plus you get chicks too. And girl riders are hot.

Cruisers are loud and some vibrate a ton. I dont like them personally but because i drive a Sport. Never Driven a sport touring but i heard they are more comfy but slower and look less aggressive.

3. Which models/years would be best to get on a students budget? And are there dealerships that sell older models(late 1990's). Also, how much should payments be, and how much does insurance cost? I've never seen older models at dealers. But still they are pretty cheap either way. My 1000 i pay 270 a month which isn't bad.

4. How much does the MSF course usually cost? Ours is 250 but you dont have to take the driving test jus finish the class pass your permit test and at the end of the class you get your license.

5. How much does proper gear usually cost, and are there any brand name type retail stores for it? I wear in the summer Jus my helmet and gloves. Jacket for when i go to the track or street racing. Gloves about $100 Helmet depends on Brand. Cheaper ones are like $120+ more expensive name brands are like $500. Jackes range from $200-$500. I dont wear riding pants. I jus wear normal jeans.

6. I'm about 6' 5"ish and 226lbs which seat height should I be looking for, or is it just a mater of my own comfort when shopping for one. choose your own comfort. i dont think a small 600 would fit you good. lol

7. What is the routine maintenance schedule for a motorcycle? (oil change, air cleaner change, etc.) I do my own work but normally oil changes by dealer are every 3k like cars. Air filter they'll try and rip you around 10k miles. I change mine when it gets dirty. But you have to really keep up with the maint. Valve adj every 15k ish miles. Clutches and stuff on how hard you drive the bike if you run it too much with bad clutches it'll burn the hub and other things.

8. how long do tires last under normal conditions? Normal riding conditions probably around 7-8k miles.
    [/quote]

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

9. where can I get an organ donor card?

kidneys are gewd

Meet me behind the dumpster near the hospital where you live across from the Old Folkes Home

here's what I ride to work every morning
    http://www.unicycling.org/btdt/bombardier.jpg

Unimotorcycle, nise.