+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Workaround to get FFXI on Vista

Did a search, and unless I missed it I did not see this posted (just other vista threads with mostly "lolvista" comments as I expect to see here also).
    There is a way to get playonline to work under vista, but it requires a previous installation of it on another XP computer (or a backup).

Hello,

First off - understand that offically Windower does not now and may never support Vista.

I have been successful at getting Windower to work on FFXI using Windows Vista RTM (Build 6000) 32-Bit. I know for some people it worked "out of the box" so to speak, but it took me a bit of trial and error so I thought I would post how I got it to work.

I have the RTM from MSDN and it is a fully functional legal copy. Hardware is:

Pentium 4 - 3.2 GHZ
    1gb DDR RAM
    ATI x850XT AGP

I have managed to get FFXI installed and updated on Vista, and it works by itself, however it takes some tinkering to enable it to work with Windower.

How to install FFXI in Windows Vista. - January 2007

1. Install Playonline from the original Van'diel Collection DVD.
    2. Copy a previously updated Playonline folder and replace the existing install.
    3. Delete the Patch.bak file
    4. Run Playonline and it will check all files and then reload.
    5. Install FFXI + ROZ + COP from the Original Vana'diel Collection DVD.
    6. Install TOAU from it's DVD.
    7. Make sure to tell polboot.exe to "Run in XP SP2 Compatibility Mode" and to "Run this Program as Administrator". To do this Browse to the Final Fantasy XI install directory and right-click on polboot.exe and choose properties. Click on the Compatibilty Tab, and check off the Appropriate boxes as described above, or see (Fig A and B).

Now that you have Final Fantasy installed and working, it's time to get the Windower working. Download and install the windower as described over here:

Arrow http://www.windower.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8373

Now with that out of the way...

1. In the windower Directory Tell Launcher.exe to "Run in XP SP2 Compatibilty Mode", and to "Always run this as Administrator". Do this as described above.
    2. Fully Exit the Windows Sidebar. I was making the mistake of right-clicking on the sidebar and closing it, not realizing it was still running in the taskbar. Right-click on the taskbar icon for Sidebar and choose exit.

That's it. That should get you FFXI up and running with Windower enabled and working even in the Windows Aero interface. Make sure you aren't running and buggy Plugins in the Windower .ini file. I sugest when trying to get it to work, you disable all plugins until it's working, then enable as you need them/verify they work on Launch.
    as originally posted here.

Tested it using old 2003 playonline install CD and it works fine. Hope this helps anyone with vista machines if they didn't already know it.

i did that few days ago got it working fine on vista ultimate installed it on my old comp just to play around with it and to test and make sure everything works proprely befor u upgrade my main comp

works fine with everything except my monitor it has build in speakers and when i do 3D flip the sound on FF gets all chopy and scracy then goes out all together after a few mins.Ended up just using headphones and everythings ok now

vista works with everything ive tried so far(well with at little work at least) except java cant upgrade my main comp to vista till i can find a working version so if anyone knows 1 plz let me know(ive tried the version recommended on azureus site but it dident work)

if anyone has any questions about vista or something they would like me to test befor u upgrade post what it is and a link and ill test it out for u^^

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

ofn ><

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Calina
    vista works with everything ive tried so far(well with at little work at least) except java cant upgrade my main comp to vista till i can find a working version so if anyone knows 1 plz let me know(ive tried the version recommended on azureus site but it dident work)
    Download the full Java offline installer from Sun and then run it as Administrator.

have that installed alrdy azureus still wont run cuase java dosent work

Old Merits
    BG Level

obligatory lolVista.

And it'll all work in time as the new OS is shifted about and more things are actually developed for it. There's little software support for it in general now but expect that to change within even a week or two. The OS itself isn't really worth getting for another month in my opinion.

ya there isent anything realy special about it but it does look nice

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bryant Snow
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

Azureus works perfectly fine for me. Just downloaded the Java that's suggested off the website, and ran as administrator. Had no problems whatsoever.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ez/azureus.jpg

guess ill try reinstalling Azureus cuase i have JRE 6 insalled and it aint working right now

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

There's a thread with some info about this on the Newbie forums, too, I believe.

DLed new copys of JRE 6 and azureus installed them still getting an error

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...a_87/error.jpg

Qtrboy can't solo Raubahn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elijah Snow
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

Any idea on how to make FFXI Config work? I tried running it on SP 2 mode and as Admin but it still won't launch.

dont bather with config edit the registry

http://shadowslair.shadow-ffxi.com/enhanceffxi.html

Old Merits
    BG Level

right click on launcher.exe, go to properties, go to compatibility, choose "Run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2"

thats what i have it set to gave up on it just ganna use utorrent

Relic Shield
    BG Level

*bump* I finally got my laptop, but I'm having issues with this. Maybe I am just retarded, though. I transfered my PlayOnlineViewer folder or w/e and cut/paste etc.... I got POL to actually open, but it's not letting me install FFXI now. I try to click play and it says it isn't installed. Every time I insert the disc now it wants to only uninstall. Suggestions? Or do I have to copy my ENTIRE (7.67GB) file over? ; ;

Make sure you change the compatability mode on the files mentioned.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I went out and got the Vana'diel Collection 2007 DVD to make it easier to install; so not sure if that makes a difference or not.

What I did. Installed POL, FF11, expansions, then my friend e-mailed me his current pol.exe and polboot.exe files (might only need one; I had him send both to be safe). I was able to load POL after that, get it patched, and get the game running.

Also, I did not have to turn compatability mode on for anything (running Vista Ultimate 64-bit). All I did was set the programs to run as administrator.

Only problem I'm running into now is poor performance on a Geforce GTX 8800 compared to my old Geforce FX 5700....

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I already got it working. Thanks though.

i did everything as suggested as above, but when i reached the screen which has the play button on it, it hangs when it loads up FF( for windower only), works perfectly fine for unwindowed FF. any suggestions as to how to get pass this?

thanks