+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

Heavy Metal music and intelligence

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/ma ... etal21.xml

Rock on.

Intelligent teenagers often listen to heavy metal music to cope with the pressures associated with being talented, according to research.

The results of a study of more than 1,000 of the brightest five per cent of young people will come as relief to parents whose offspring, usually long-haired, are devotees of Iron Maiden, AC/DC and their musical descendants.

Researchers found that, far from being a sign of delinquency and poor academic ability, many adolescent "metalheads" are extremely bright and often use the music to help them deal with the stresses and strains of being gifted social outsiders.
    advertisement

Stuart Cadwallader, a psychologist at the University of Warwick, will present the findings at the British Psychological Society conference in York today.

He said: "There is a perception of gifted and talented students as being into classical music and spending a lot of time reading. I think that is an inaccurate stereotype. There is literature that links heavy metal to poor academic performance and delinquency but we found a group that contradicts that.

"We are looking at a group with lower than average self-esteem that does not feel quite as well adjusted. They feel more stressed out and turn to heavy metal as a way of relieving that stress.

"Participants said they appreciated the complex and sometimes political themes of heavy metal music more than perhaps the average pop song. It has a tendency to worry adults a bit but I think it is just a cathartic thing. It does not indicate problems."

The researchers surveyed 1,057 members of the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth - a body whose 120,000 student members are within the top five per cent academically in the 11-19 age range.

Asked for their favourite type of music, 39 per cent said rock, 18 per cent R&B and 14 per cent pop. Six per cent said heavy metal and a third rated it in their top five genres.

The heavy metal fans in the study had lower self-esteem and more difficulties in family relationships and friendships.

Mr Cadwallader then held an online discussion involving 19 members of the academy, 17 of whom were heavy metal fans. They spoke of listening to bands including System of a Down, Slipknot, Tool, Dragon Force, Forward Russia and In Flames when they were in a bad mood and using it to work off frustrations and anger.

One student said: "It helps me with stress. It's the general thrashiness of it. You can't really jump your anger into the floor and listen to your music at the same time with other types of music."

Mr Cadwallader added: "Perhaps gifted people experience more pressure than their peers and use the music to purge this negativity."

Dan Silver, assistant editor of the music magazine NME who has worked for Kerrang! and Metal Hammer, said: "Many themes of heavy metal are about alienation. If you have these kinds of feelings there is a lot you can get out of the music and the community of fans who are into it."

we all know that the only music smart people listen to is classical! duh

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by wow
    we all know that the only music smart people listen to is classical! duh
    Did you actually read this?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Intelligent teenagers often listen to heavy metal music to cope with most of the rest of the completly shitty music out there that's not worth the price tag on the CDs they come in.
    )b

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan
    Intelligent teenagers often listen to heavy metal music to cope with most of the rest of the completly shitty music out there that's not worth the price tag on the CDs they come in.
    )b

That's why I listen to a tonEuropean music. Most American music sucks ass and should be set on fire.

yes i read it, i was just joking by stereotyping lol

i love soad and ratm etc etc. im looking forward to trying this dragonforce song on gh II just got it lol

Metal and classical are very similar, Apocalyptica anyone? Just a generational gap.

yeah they are very similar if you listen to how the music is actually played, but with all the effects and the messages it changes from sophisticated connoisseur to head banging harlots!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tornfleshofsoul
    Metal and classical are very similar, Apocalyptica anyone? Just a generational gap.

Apcoalyptica isnt technically classical just because they play cellos. I would say they are a mix breed of of Metal with symphonic. All their orginal stuff trumps everything they did covering Metallica too. Some of their covers even sounded better.

Duh.

All the kids I grew up with that listened to rap scored lower on their ACT than the kids who rocked out.

>_>; IQ 132 and listening to metal atm
    but i read a lot D:

oh so true.... but who pays for music anyway <.<; >.>;;

Banned.

BG Level

What kind of music are they talking about here?

I'm no fan of metal, with a few big exceptions, and some of it is worst than gansta rap... like those songs were the "singer" just makes strange noises and is completely incomprehensible.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

BRD i don't think they are referring to those where the singer just makes strange noises and is completely incomprehensible hence AD/DC & Iron Maiden.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

I never understood the whole concept about: "If your newborn listens to x type of music (usually classical), they'll be smarter!" For all I know, music, or sound for that matter, are just a bunch of longitudinal waves with various intensity levels, frequency, and whatever. Unless the classical music's frequency stimulates a portion of the brain that affects the way the listener learns?

A weird thing is that when someone asks me what type of music I listen to, I just say: As long as I like the guitar (I usually listen to rock), violin, or piano I'm set...

There's plenty of mindless, brain-dead rock fans too... I'd be uneasy about drawing links between musical tastes and intelligence levels. The points about feelings of alienation and music as a release mechanism are valid, but in my opinion the truly intelligent don't listen to the kind of bogus angst-metal perpetuated by Slipknot.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Zappa
    "My theory is that music is good, it's the only religion that delivers the goods. And anybody who wants to hear any kind of music is entitled to hear that music because it's good for you – it makes you feel good. If you like it, go for it. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean anything – it's a matter of personal taste."
    It's just personal taste. I know plenty of idiots who like metal, and clever people who like R&B. I listen to everything though, so I'm clearly superior.

Classical guitar = metal. At least that's what I remember hearing. >~>;

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I approve this thread. It's extremely true. I truly hate defending my music choices to people that think they are smarter than me.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Obev
    There's plenty of mindless, brain-dead rock fans too... I'd be uneasy about drawing links between musical tastes and intelligence levels. The points about feelings of alienation and music as a release mechanism are valid, but in my opinion the truly intelligent don't listen to the kind of bogus angst-metal perpetuated by Slipknot.
    Slipknot is more "made up" metal. An American style that is utter garbage and made only to make a buck. Real metal, real rock, real music comes from other countries like Europe. Swedish, Finnish and German bands are downright amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by arlania
    Quote Originally Posted by Obev
    Slipknot is more "made up" metal. An American style that is utter garbage and made only to make a buck. Real metal, real rock, real music comes from other countries like Europe. Swedish, Finnish and German bands are downright amazing.
    ^ ^ ^ ^

Q F T

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I used to like Slipknot around when they first came out..but once the 3rd CD came out I stoped liking them. Also because I loved saying this...

IF YOUR A 555 AND A 666!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast