Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New law in China possibly will hinder RMT?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168877.ht ... p;title;12

The Chinese government has issued a new regulation, which will come into effect on April 15, requiring "anti-addiction software" to be installed on the country's massively multiplayer online games. The move is designed to limit online play by under-18s, reports China Daily.

The move comes amid growing concerns in the region about the number of youngsters playing truant from school and turning to crime, which the government links to the growing popularity of online games within the age group. According to the newspaper, there are a massive 31.12 million online gamers in China, with approximately 10 percent of those aged under 18.

The new system will require all gamers to register using real names and identity card numbers to prove their age. Young users will be allowed to play for three hours per day, which is apparently considered the "healthy" limit, and full points will be allowed during this time period. Between three and five hours, gamers will still be allowed to play, although points will be halved. After five hours, a message will be displayed every 15 minutes warning players that they are risking their health and that their points will be reset to zero if they continue to play.

Games that have not embedded the system by the cutoff date of July 16 will be shut down.

Zhao Yurun, China spokesperson for the popular MMOG World of Warcraft, told the newspaper that the company was not concerned about the new legislation because the majority of its players were adults
    Not sure of the average age of your everyday RMT, but it will discourage the use of excessive playtime of those under 18 and possibly prevent new RMT from emerging.

Maybe a lot of wishful thinking, but hopefully they'll wind up banning online games in China permanently.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

It won't slow them down a bit. The only thing that's gonna effect RMT in China is if the goverment starts dealing with RMT workers and farms the same way they deal with anti-goverment protesters. Only by risking jail or death can RMT in China die and I doubt SE, Blizzard or any one else has the money needed to buy enough clout to have the goverment sic it's police forces on the various RMT farms.

3 hours per day is "healthy"?

I guess for the sake of my health, I had better start playing more.

Not that I think this law will do anything... (sup multiple characters or computers!)

But how does one enforce a uniform "halved points" or whatever they're proposing? I guess SE will have to add some "token" point system just so they can satiate the government.

By healthy I think they mean "ok and tolerable." I do think 3hrs per day is ok for game play especially when it comes to younger kids. I've limited my younger sister from playing WoW to only 2hrs a day and whatever she wants to do during the weekend (since i pay for the card).

and if only 10% are under the age of 18 from the 31million gamers there... lol its not going to put a dent in anything. Its like throwing a brick at a brick wall

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Croaker
    3 hours per day is "healthy"?
    the "healthy" limit

Quote Originally Posted by Codernaut
    Not that I think this law will do anything... (sup multiple characters or computers!)
    read the 3rd paragraph about identity card numbers.

But how does one enforce a uniform "halved points" or whatever they're proposing? I guess SE will have to add some "token" point system just so they can satiate the government.
    it's already hard-coded into some Chinese MMOs. you start getting less XP. so basically instead of 200 XP a kill you'd get 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Booki
    and if only 10% are under the age of 18 from the 31million gamers there... lol its not going to put a dent in anything. Its like throwing a brick at a brick wall
    it's not designed to prevent RMT. the big benefit might be the ID# thing which may make RMTs easier to locate when they get banned.

This guys RMT days are over. Zoo worker by day RMT by night.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/276261...crocodile1.jpg

TAIPEI, Taiwan — A zoo worker had his forearm reattached Thursday after his colleagues recovered the severed limb from the mouth of a 440-pound Nile crocodile, an official said.

The crocodile severed Chang Po-yu's forearm on Wednesday at the Shaoshan Zoo in the southern city of Kaohsiung when the veterinarian tried to retrieve a tranquilizer dart from the reptile's hide, zoo officials said.

The Liberty Times newspaper said Chang failed to notice the crocodile was not fully anesthetized when he stuck his arm through an iron rail to medicate it.

As Chang was rushed to the hospital on Wednesday, a zoo worker shot two bullets at the crocodile's neck to retrieve the forearm, said Chen Po-tsun, a zoo official.

"The crocodile was unharmed as we didn't find any bullet holes on its hide," Chen said. "It probably was shocked and opened its mouth to let go of the limb."

The 17-year-old reptile is one of a pair of Nile crocodiles kept by the Kaohsiung zoo. The crocodile is listed as an endangered species, and is rapidly disappearing from its native African habitat.

Chen said the zoo purchased the crocodile from a local resident who had kept it as a pet.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

i know they mentioned world of warcraft, but why do i get the feeling that this wont apply to ffxi? there wouldn't be a real way to regulate ffxi unless they worked someone out with SE, tracked the ports that ffxi uses, or edit pol/ffxi to work to their standards... im just wondering how they can limit ffxi without shutting their internet off

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Yeah but it'll apply to under-18 people... not all the over-18 people. Most gilsellers we find out info on tend to be post-30 years old much less post-18. I highly doubt unless the RMT business had some seriously sneaky child labor going on then we won't see much if any impact.

Forum Donator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

According to the original China article
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007 ... 846715.htm

This only applies to under people under 18. Most RMTers do this because this is their job and are subsequently above the age of 18. The locations where they play their games also helps the RMT boss. Most of them have moved to the rural country side where stuff is unbelievably cheap.

Comparison, I took a 40 minute car ride from Wuhan to the airport. Total cost 80 RMB (10 USD). This is a major city in China but not one of the more expensive ones. Conversely, a 15 minute car ride around shen zhen (outside HK) costs about 120-130 RMB.

If you go the the boonies, it gets even cheaper. (got more #s but you get the point).

So net effect, Zilch.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

But isnt the average age for an RMT to be above 18+? In pc-gamer once there was a RMT company that had a wide range of ppl ranging from 16-45 yrs.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

this law will be as effective as the intellectual property laws "if they have ones" meaning no one will give a shit

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby
    According to the original China article
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007 ... 846715.htm

This only applies to under people under 18. Most RMTers do this because this is their job and are subsequently above the age of 18. The locations where they play their games also helps the RMT boss. Most of them have moved to the rural country side where stuff is unbelievably cheap.

Comparison, I took a 40 minute car ride from Wuhan to the airport. Total cost 80 RMB (10 USD). This is a major city in China but not one of the more expensive ones. Conversely, a 15 minute car ride around shen zhen (outside HK) costs about 120-130 RMB.

If you go the the boonies, it gets even cheaper. (got more #s but you get the point).

So net effect, Zilch.
    Mugmug is screwed!

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Most if not all rmt are over 18 and supposedly doing it to feed their family some rice this wont change much if anything for us Only piss of the Chinese kids playing mmo's for fun lol

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rentwokay Champignon
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Considering FFXI isn't even marketed to the Chinese audience, I don't think they'll be forced to abide by these regulations, which means it doesn't affect us at all.

Blizzard, however, markets World of Warcraft to 500 countries and 10 planets, so if anything, the WoW RMT situation may improve... slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil
    it's already hard-coded into some Chinese MMOs. you start getting less XP. so basically instead of 200 XP a kill you'd get 100.
    That sounds interesting for said Chinese MMO's I know nothing about... but what about FFXI? Other than leveling new gil selling characters, why would they give a damn about their exp? (I imagine the same question could be applied to other MMO's also)

I guess SE could give them permanent weakness until jp midnight (when I presume the timer would be reset).

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Does this effect people who work at a sweatshop? Or only people who buy an MMO to take home and play?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Blizzard, however, markets World of Warcraft to 500 countries and 10 planets, so if anything, the WoW RMT situation may improve... slightly.
    WORLD OF WARCRAFT COMIN TO MARS AND JUPITER BITCH!!!

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rentwokay Champignon
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Hapernack
    It won't be long until people start complaining about Jupiter limitations.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Rentwokay
    Quote Originally Posted by Hapernack
    It won't be long until people start complaining about Jupiter limitations.
    I hear the lag out there is terrible.