• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Is there a way to seperate sounds from earphones/speakers?

I wanna listen to music but be on vent at the same time, have no stereo, only a PC.

My PC detects that I put my earphones in the front panel, and it also detects when I put my speakers in the rear, was just wondering if there's any way to seperate them, or if there's a program which can force programs to only output sound from certain channels? Thanks.

Re: Is there a way to seperate sounds from earphones/speakers?

I'm pretty sure Vista can.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Boo, refuse to install Vista till it gets a good SP.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You can sort of with USB headphones. I usually open the programs I want without the USB headphones plugged in. After everything is opened that I want coming from the speakers, I plug in the USB headphones. Everything that is presently open is playing from the speakers, but anything new I open will go to the headphones (vent).

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by solsovly
    You can sort of with USB headphones. I usually open the programs I want without the USB headphones plugged in. After everything is opened that I want coming from the speakers, I plug in the USB headphones. Everything that is presently open is playing from the speakers, but anything new I open will go to the headphones (vent).
    Any USB headphones will work like this?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'm fairly sure its any usb headset,

I want, i-tunes from speakers, vent on headset and no game noise so...

Headset in, speakers off. Load game.
    Pull headset out, speakers on and fire up i-tunes.
    Put headset back in, start vent.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

I accomplished this work-around with Vent using a 5.1 capable sound card and a headset mic that has separate jacks for the mic and earphone.

Under Vent's Setup go to SFX and add from the Directional option, add 'Front Center (5.1)'. Later you may want to add a Volume boost or other options.

Plug the mic jack into the standard microphone input on the sound card and then put the headset's earphone jack into the 5.1 card's center output.

You don't have to change anything in the Windows or sound card software setup for speakers, but bare in mind that this will only work with a 2.x or 4.x speaker setup. If you have a 5.x or higher setup you'll lose your center channel.

Then when you're on Vent you hear the vent chat through your headset's earphone and the game and system sounds and music through your speakers. No feedback whatsoever too on the mic which is very nice.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Use two soundcards. Simple. It's what I do. I use shitty onboard sound for vent and my good soundcard for everything else. Set the good one as the default, and then in Vent setup just set the input/output device as the shitty card and plug your headset into that. Works without any voodoo.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

didn't realize I could install 2 cards and not have conflict

Quote Originally Posted by solsovly
    That's what I do. I open iTunes first and set it on random and let it start to play. Plug in my headset and open vent. iTunes is playing in my speakers and vent is in the headset. But as solsovly said if you open anything new it'll play the sound in the headset.

The 2 sound card method sounds like a better way IMO.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

If you set your default speakers on vent to your USB headset, you won't have to worry about opening stuff before you plug the headset in. I leave my headset plugged in constantly, Windows default is set to my speakers, Ventrilo default is set to my headset, works like a charm. My headset came with its own set of drivers though (installed itself as a second soundcard, essentially), so you may not be able to do this without a similar setup.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

imo, if you're PC's got a 5.1 sound card in it my way is definitely easiest, but I do like the 2 sound card issues but I could see some hardware conflicts arising out of it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../ventsetup.jpg

If it's detecting theres headphones in the front, that device should be in the dropdown there. Mines the USB device. You can make binds and TTS go through the headphones too under the binds and speech tab.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

unfortunately esildur, your method isn't working at all despite the fact my card supports up to 7.1 channel surround, the thing is when I put it in 2 channel mode it'll block all other speaker ports from working (boo). Meh I'll live without music while talking to people i guess or buy a USB headset.