FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Re: Attn People who use Windower for SSs. (and in general)

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    don't save screenshots in bmp....
    I save my screenshots in BMP, then convert to HQ JPG and discard the JPG. The compression is 600 times better than the JPG compression that windower uses.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    I save my screenshots in BMP, then convert to HQ JPG and discard the JPG. The compression is 600 times better than the JPG compression that windower uses.
    I would suggest png as a middle ground(then convert to jpg). A lot of times you'll only be taking SS of chat, so it's over kill. Also, maybe it's just me, but I lag most(freeze for a sec or 2 even) when saving on bmp.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

For Recast.... way better than any others mentioned imo is putting it in the right corner of the chat log. It looks like it "Belongs" there its so good :D
    Lock chat log min and max lines at 7.
    [Recast_Position]
    X=915.0
    Y=880.0

[Recast_FontSettings]
    Font=Courier New
    Size=10
    Bold=1
    SwapTimers=0

[Recast_TextColor]
    Alpha=255
    Red=35
    Green=255
    Blue=0

[Recast_BGColor]
    Visible=1
    Alpha=128
    Red=0
    Green=0
    Blue=0

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    I would suggest png as a middle ground(then convert to jpg). A lot of times you'll only be taking SS of chat, so it's over kill. Also, maybe it's just me, but I lag most(freeze for a sec or 2 even) when saving on bmp.
    I had that same lag issue. I found out it was because i had over 2000 screenshots and every time i took a screenshot, it would have to figure out which number to go to next. (IMG_2001, IMG_2002) Once I moved all the screenshots to another folder, I was good to go lol. I don't know if this is still an issue because 2 versions ago, the format was changed to a date format.

I have that photoshop image converter script that just batch converts my bmp screenshots to HQ jpg, so it's really not to big of a hassle for me at all.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

JPG should only be used if youre posting on the internets, but even then, PNG would be better for the quality/size ratio. BMP is the best way to go for storage/viewablity. BMP and PNG are both lossless formats, but BMP is still a bit better (in picture quality) than PNG because PNG naturally compresses. However if BMP is compressed (winzip, etc) it will be a smaller size and still retain its quality.

I do sort of what Izzy does, I save them in BMP and them batch rename/convert to PNG, I keep the PNGs on my comp for fast access, and zip up the BMPs to storage.

Final Fantasy XI Music Devotee

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vianne Nys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    BMP is the best way to go for storage/viewablity. BMP and PNG are both lossless formats, but BMP is still a bit better (in picture quality) than PNG because PNG naturally compresses. However if BMP is compressed (winzip, etc) it will be a smaller size and still retain its quality.
    Not exactly, let me explain.

BMP is a waste of space and PNG has absolutely no quality loss. PNG is a lossless (yes, you said that) compressed image format, that means that you get exactly the same image information after the compression. Basically ends up being really similar than zipping a BMP, but optimized for image data.

However, some programs use really weak compression algorithms when saving in PNG format (quick example: MSPaint), which makes the resulting image files much larger than the properly compressed ones would be. The equivalent of that when zipping would be setting the compression to "none" or "Best" when archiving files. There is no loss of data with any of those options, but making a smaller file will take more processing time.

The only advantage of BMP is that saves the CPU cost of compressing/uncompressing a picture when saving/viewing them, but that time is small and often negligible with most of the image viewers. BMP instead will use much more volatile memory and disc access time when saving/viewing them (aside from taking more disk space). So it hardly ends up being an advantage on real-time situations.

I don't really see why someone should take his screenshots on BMP format. Use JPG if you don't care about some quality loss or PNG if you care.

Format discussion aside, I really think that people should really get used to take a look at some of the documentation that comes with the software they use. I've known and used this option since it was added. And I've personally found myself developing software and being asked questions already answered in a really short readme.

PS: Sorry if I sound a bit "bitchy", it's not my intention. I was just trying to point what I believe that is a misconception.

Edit: Regarding the image sizes I did some testing with a random SS from a ToAU cutscene, there is no loss of image data in any of the used processes:

Original Windower compressed PNG: 954.431 Bytes
    Its uncompressed equivalent in BMP: 3.817.016 B
    Really intensive PNG compression (optipng): 909.877 B
    rared BMP, max compression: 967.493 B
    zipped BMP, max compression: 1.475.624 B

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Most people will only read the "readme" file as a last resort.

When developing software you don't just need to know the technical aspects involved... you need to know a bit about the people who are going to be using your software.

In any case... I didn't read the readme file myself, but I did do a number of searches on the windower forum and found out most of this stuff before I even downloaded the windower.

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Tej
    For Recast.... way better than any others mentioned imo is putting it in the right corner of the chat log. It looks like it "Belongs" there its so good :D
    Lock chat log min and max lines at 7.
    [Recast_Position]
    X=915.0
    Y=880.0
    I have it in the right corner of the chat log as well. It doesn't get in the way of anything there. I couldn't find another place I liked it at that didn't result in it being on top of the loot pool or some menu somewhere.

Though your specific position may not work for most people since it's dependent on what resolution they have windower set to. I for one use some crazy 16:9 custom resolution that has my x value at around 1100

Final Fantasy XI Music Devotee

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vianne Nys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic
    When developing software you don't just need to know the technical aspects involved... you need to know a bit about the people who are going to be using your software.
    While I take that consideration and make software for the average user as easy as possible to use, I think that there is an overall laziness on using manuals and guides, that's what pisses me off.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Didn't know about the *hide* parameter O.O damn, it was about time, thank you very much

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

is there a command i can put in the init file for /names as well? i take a million pics and am too lazy to type /names for each one lol.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

thanks trixi for posting this 8)

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

richardd, what you want to do then is to bind it like a windower macro (that's what this is really)

bind sysrq input /names off; screenshot png hide; input /names on;

will work, just replace sysrq with whichever key you usually use for screenshots.

this will drop names, take a screenshot and bring names back up.
    if for some reason names was already off, then it will leave them off, take a screenshot, then bring names back up.

if you want to take a screenshot with names on and you have it bound like this, give the console this command: "screenshot png hide" either through console input or the // escape input to the chat interface.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

thanks for the info. The plug ins bugged me so I usually just unload them, but i'll give this a try next time i log on.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Damn thanks for the tip, there should be a compilation of command calls we can send to windower itself via the init file =/

X=500.0
    Y=40.0

is for 800x600 resolution in the place the OP has shown

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

If people are just figuring this out...maybe they should go back to the windower website and look at the forums. It tells you recommended lines to place in your init and scripts on the How To Install thread. I guess some people are just too hasty to care?

I too have hated screenshots that show the console in upper left...recast isn't that bad sometimes...but seeing an eighth of the picture taken up by red lettering is annoying.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

(atleast this is the correct X,Y for 1024/768, not sure if it works for all rezs), this puts the text in the upper rightish area and doesnt get in the way of anything.
    I prefer it close to the top left so that it's near my TP. Helps use TP and JA's more efficiently if you don't have to keep darting your eyes to the left and right of the screen.

I've always had recast in the middle on the left side of the screen. It's low enough that is doesn't cover anything, and it's where I'm used to looking thanks to cooldowns in WoW. I only wish there was a way to move the hp bars up there too...

i would just not use them, lmao

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

This was actually helpful TYVM.