FFXI Server
    Bahamut

How many fish did you reel up?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Kalli View Post
    So im 79 fishing and been trying to get skillups on Mercanbaligi and ahtapots' and after serveral hours and 2 diffrent days of fishing ive only gotten 0.6 total skill ups. I havent fished since they updated it. could someone tell me if there is a better place to be?
    Thanx.
    Don't feel bad. Yesterday, at 94 fishing, I caught the following that could have netted me a skill up.

16 Ryugu Titan
    44 Titanictus
    3 stacks of Black Sole
    7 Sea Zombies
    2 Gugrusaurus

ZERO SKILL UPS!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Ok seriously, WTF....

62 Pterygotus caught. ZERO SKILL UPS!!! Whose Japanese cock do I have to suck (or Japanese pussy to eat) to get some Fishing skill ups?

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Armored Pisces in Oldton Movalpolos with minnow is good til 108 but slows around 102. Only fish you should hook with minnows is pisces. After that I capped off on haku.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Before the recent change to the fishing system with all the arrows My mule was gettin by far much slower skillups. where it took 2 weeks of fishing every day to get 1 skill level i needed to get my ebisu even. Before that i was gettin about 6 levels a day on my mule. my main character also got about that much til about 90ish skill. I think from about skill level 50ish All skillups have been vastly slower for my mule, and this is using the skillup ring from the contest. I havent really fished in a while. I think i eventually got to 100 ish on my mule but I am not even sure anymore since my sub isnt active

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

does anyone know a complete list of all the current fish in new expansion and old? with npc prices would be sweet.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not sure anyone has been really updating them. All the new ones have lowish npc prices and most don't even have any other use

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Returning since before Seekers. Are there any fish worth catching for money in the seekers areas?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not really fishing for npc gil is over. I mean yeah you could do it but pretty sure Hak's are still the best and they were never great and now they are even worse. You could throw just a little bit of sparks gear on a mage mule and do lair reives for about the same to better gil than prenerf haks.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Short answer: No.

Long Answer: There's little if any market for SOA fish. As for NPC prices, the highest any seem to give is around 2.6K each.

I disagree with Dasva, though in that haks are still the best. Haks now npc for just over 3K but require non-stackable lures that are frequently lost during line breaks and necessitate a trip to/from the glacier.

As I've noted in a prior post, Shen npcs for 2.6K, bite on meatballs, but don't seem to line break an ebisu, and can be fished off the coastline just outside east adoulin.

Crocs in abyssea-la thiene actually npc for more than haks now and can also be caught using meatballs. However, this obligates building up time in abyssea. Crocs also break lines often as well.

Godspeed.

Greg

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Can I cap fishing skill on Shens?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Can I cap fishing skill on Shens?
    Yes my gf capped on them.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by gm-pm View Post
    Short answer: No.

Long Answer: There's little if any market for SOA fish. As for NPC prices, the highest any seem to give is around 2.6K each.

I disagree with Dasva, though in that haks are still the best. Haks now npc for just over 3K but require non-stackable lures that are frequently lost during line breaks and necessitate a trip to/from the glacier.

As I've noted in a prior post, Shen npcs for 2.6K, bite on meatballs, but don't seem to line break an ebisu, and can be fished off the coastline just outside east adoulin.

Crocs in abyssea-la thiene actually npc for more than haks now and can also be caught using meatballs. However, this obligates building up time in abyssea. Crocs also break lines often as well.

Godspeed.

Greg
    Well I should say amongst the best in terms of gil per day. I'd really call them sidegrades. Shen sells for less so if the invent is a problem and you don't like going back to town they could be better if not hak. I usually only made 2 trips a day doing them since I couldn't empty my invent completely and the last time I really seriously did that we didn't have wardrobe and such.

Crocs... idk I've always just had a really hard time reeling them in. Even when I was getting the ring I'd often just say screw this and buy it if I could find it for cheap.

Regardless they are all slow methods of making gil

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I might be the only one hoping that tomorrows patch will bring in a new Zaldon gut item, after being teased for nearly a year.

Sadly, my accounts will be cancelled at the end of the month so hopefully this along with whatever new patch notes will bring will keep me playing.

If not, I'll share with the community my findings on SoA fishes / bait-bite / locations as my going away present.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well looks like 3-eyed fish will be good for a little while lol

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This isn't anything special;
    I was banking that the first set of fishes in the SoA expansion were going to be relevant, especially the legendary fish Remora. So I set out to find the best fishing hole/bait in case it became guttable. Maybe it will soon, who knows, I won't be active to care in a few days. My mule with 60+ Remora's was my faith that I had!

I also found the dwarf remora "epic catch & single "!" mysterious, although it could easily be an error on SE's part in defining the fish. I thought differently, giving SE the benefit of the doubt.

If anyone finds this information useful for potential future updates; good luck!

Spoiler: show

Woh Gates:
    H-5 - Minnow = Yawning Catfish
    H-5 - Meatball = Monsters only?
    H-5 - Sinking Minnow = Yawning Catfish

Marjami Ravine Biv#4 - WoH Gates Entrance

Reive in the way:
    I-11 - Slice of Carp = Yawning Catfish / Remora
    I-11 - Trout Paste = Yawning Catfish / Dwarf Remora (epic catch & single "!")
    I-11 - Minnow = Yawning Catfish
    I-11 - Meatball = Remora only?
    I-11 - Peeled Lobster - Remora only?

I-11 - Insect Paste = Remora / Dwarf Remora (frequent)(76 bait, dwarf 35, remora 7)
    I-11 - Littleworm = Dwarf Remora (epic catch & single "!")

I-11 - Lugworm = Monsters / Ulbuconut only?
    I-11 - Slice of Bluetail - Ulbuconut only?
    I-11 - Peeled Crayfish = Monsters / Ulbuconut only?
    I-11 - Slice of Cod = Monsters / Ulbuconut only?
    I-11 - Slice of Bluetail = Monsters / Ulbuconut only?
    I-11 - Slice of Sardine = Monsters / Ulbuconut only?
    I-11 - Sardine Paste = Monsters / Ulbuconut only?
    I-11 - Crayfish Paste = Monsters / Ulbuconut only?

If you need Ruszor Meat, they were in abundance here:

Kamihr Drifts:
    J-8 - Little Worm = Frigorifish
    J-8 - Sabiki Rig = Frigorifish(3)/Rotten Meat/Ruszor Meat
    J-8 - Slice of Bluetail = Ruszor Meat
    J-8 - Minnow = Monsters/Rotten Meat/Ruszor Meat
    J-8 - Sinking Minnow = Rotten Meat/Ruszor Meat
    J-8 - Insect Paste = Frigorifish (very common)
    J-8 - Peeled Crayfish = Emperor Fish (very common) / Rotten Meat/Ruszor Meat
    J-8 - Trout Paste = Emperor Fish (very common)/Ruszor Meat
    J-8 - Sardine Paste = Rotten Meat/Ruszor Meat
    J-8 - Slice of Moat Carp = Rotten Meat/Ruszor Meat
    J-8 - Frog Lure = Rotten Meat/Ruszor Meat

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm Fishing 73 now and I found Marjami Ravine waterfall near #2 waypoint to be a great spot to skill up at it. I can catch Apkallufa, Gavial Fish, and Black Ghost at the same spot. I can confirm that Apkallufa is at least level 71 if not higher since it seems to be more difficult fish than Black Ghost at 73. I have been fishing here instead of Nashmau for the time being. I'm tempted to try other adoulin spots for skill up but I haven't seen anything great yet.

edit: Does anyone know if you need Serpent Rumors for the new Adoulin legendaries like Cameroceras and Remora/Shen?

Notable, from the recent "coming update" notes:

New fish have been added to the following areas.
    Cape Teriggan / Silver Sea routes / Abyssea - Altepa / Cirdas Caverns / Moh Gates / Dho Gates

"The probability of increasing one's fishing skill will be increased.

The probability of catching fish will be increased when a player's fishing skill is 20 or greater and appropriate bait is used.

The maximum time required to reel in a catch will be reduced from 15 seconds to 13 seconds.

Moon phases will have a stronger positive effect on fishing results."

Make me wonder what the moonphase effects were in the first place...

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Lol moon phase and fishing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreth View Post
    Make me wonder what the moonphase effects were in the first place...
    It's been awhile since I bothered caring about moonphases with fishing but iirc closer to full was better closer to new was worse. Except rabao which was the opposite. I'd imagine this is probably what spawned all the other moonphase rumors as this was rather easy to see (moat carp was particularly noticeable as I'd often get 100% bite rate during the right phases) and get a huge sample for and then people just started seeing the pattern everywhere