Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 121 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: Current list of hacked players (12/8/07)

I think that one of the bigger obstacles we have is the perception of it all, with FF being "only a game". in most places of the world, in Europe especially, if you want to operate in a specific market, you have to submit to local law, even in video games, and no ToS can replace the law. Instead, the law may make a specific ToS unlawful. Is that the case? Can't answer that, I'm not a lawyer, no clue if that concept has any legal merit in this case.

Obviously this doesn't help much if even the authorities regard these complaints as a joke and refuse to activate any legal mechanisms. They wouldn't if these accounts had recognized/official monetary value (I'm not talking about underground value like selling it on Ebay). However, do we want the authorities tracking the virtual currency that we MAY be able to sell? I can't answer the question, it could end up being like opening Pandora's box.

Ssubpoenas shouldn't be the answer, sueing even less. Besides, speaking for myself, that's the NA way. As an euro, I kinda frown at the concept, the Stella awards are example enough of how ridiculous it can become. A simple report should be able to be enough, like when you lose/get your wallet stolen, in order to present that to banking agencies, documentation centers, etc.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

. As for game balance if you were to restore at least the items (forget the gil)....get a grip it's data nothing more, if your that worried about it make the restored items Rare/Ex.
    This will be SEs excuse and im 110% sure. Much like they blame the PS2 for everything, they will say restoring peoples items will be unbalancing to the economy of the game. Unless they give everyone hacked their character rolled back (im sure SE has this) a month or so, they will not restore things traded off or gil stolen.

If they approached the problem, rolling a character back a week before the hacking would be the best course of action.

subpoenas shouldn't be the answer, sueing even less. Besides, speaking for myself, that's the NA way. As an euro, I kinda frown at the concept, the Stella awards are example enough of how ridiculous it can become. A simple report should be able to be enough, like when you lose/get your wallet stolen, in order to present that to banking agencies, documentation centers, etc.
    SE knows no ones gonna get a subpoena, which is why they tell you to get one. Its merely a band-aid solution to the problem and for a company trying to stay afloat in an aged game which competes against many other MMOs, i dont see what they stand to gain by snubbing the playerbase in terms of security. (Yes, hacked or not they are saying 'shove off' if anything happens to your character)

I guess in Japan the customer is always wrong.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

my father is a retired police officer(N.O.P.D) of 32 years of experience as he worked all kinda cases including various theft cases to rape, murder cases and now does investigations for the neworleans district attonery office. I asked him today a sorta what IF kinda question, if someone came up to him while he was working theft cases about making a police report over a videogame account being "hacked" he stopped me right there before i could comment anymore and said he would of thrown them out of his office and laughed because the police department has bigger fish to fry >.>

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Which is why SE sends you there. To be rediculed while some RMT clusterfuck gets paid, SE gets paid and you get laughed outta town.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Does anyone else get worried when you're repeatedly /checked by RMT? makes me think they're gonna target me next T_T

And ever since this started I've been logging on even when I don't want to, just cause I'm so paranoid of going to login but not getting through.. I hate the worry/paranoia, it sucks!

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Yeah, I do the same. I've been logging in multiple times a day just to make sure nothing has happened. Running multiple daily spyware/av scans.

Jeny from the 'Rok
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Minimaru
    Does anyone else get worried when you're repeatedly /checked by RMT? makes me think they're gonna target me next T_T
    I was in Temple of U. the other day on a different character... and some RMT was just standing at the zone checking me every few minutes. I was so paranoid, I could just see the "logged in from a different terminal" message going off in my mind. After a while he stopped and warped back to Whitegate... wierdo. :/

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeny
    I was in Temple of U. the other day on a different character... and some RMT was just standing at the zone checking me every few minutes. I was so paranoid, I could just see the "logged in from a different terminal" message going off in my mind. After a while he stopped and warped back to Whitegate... wierdo. :/
    Yeah I was on my SMN in whitegate, mostly rare/ex gear and nothing else fancy equipped except for 4/5 zenith, and then I thought "Oh crap I'm wearing my herald's gaiters" cause the dude checked me 2-3 times.. and I checked him, /anon but he was a NIN with pretty crappy gear and some odd name I couldn't remember, felt pretty RMT-ish to me. I was worried maybe he was eyeing my shoes. It's always a tense moment after you input your pw and see if you can login or not.. absolutely hate it.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Wow reading these posts really really saddens me, here i am returning to Vanadiel, yet quite clearly it is no longer the world i left behind, yes there was rmt and everyone knew who they were, wasnt nothing much that could be done so you just got on with it, now with this STF and other actions in place by SE/POL from what i am reading all that has come out of it is the economy plummeting, crafters being hit really hard (i was looking forward to crafting again on my bonecraft mule ), people walking around with bought relics (how people ever actually afford those anyway ill never know!) and of course it has forced the RMT bosses to resort to the worst possible actions of hacking genuine players, and now we have silence from SE/POL over 2500 accounts being hacked.

If i look at some of the figures that the STF are so proud if they had terminated or highlighted the removal of 2500 RMT accounts then it would be a big POL message and SE would make sure that we as players knew what a great job they were doing yet when 2500+ of their own paying customers get hacked and have years and years of hard work just thrown away and then these players get to see themselves turned into fish bots (this REALLY got to me!) SE doesnt say a word, i sincerely hope that the petition atleast gets some kind of response soon.

To all of you that have been affected by this terrible situation my heart truly goes out to you and i hope that someway, somehow you get back all the hard work you have put into your characters.

Leonidis

ahnalia

The problem with people buying gil to replace lost items is that by doing so, they are playing right into the RMT's hands. They WANT you to buy gil, it's what keeps those cockroaches in business to begin with =/

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos
    If they approached the problem, rolling a character back a week before the hacking would be the best course of action.
    Ronin your a genuis!!! seriously what a brilliant idea!!! I never even thought of that, exactly the kind of solution in combination with policy/safeguard changes that SE could offer to those of us who fell victim to this recent rash of hackings. You need to apply for William Bisby's job!! (SE North American Account Manager)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahnalia
    The problem with people buying gil to replace lost items is that by doing so, they are playing right into the RMT's hands. They WANT you to buy gil, it's what keeps those cockroaches in business to begin with =/
    And ever since this started I've been logging on even when I don't want to, just cause I'm so paranoid of going to login but not getting through.. I hate the worry/paranoia, it sucks!
    The two top reasons why I decided to put my account into a canceled state and wait on SE to pursue the problem properly. Beyond the fact that my account was basically crippled, I couldn't get over the fear that it would happen again so everytime I was offered gil from in game friends to help rebuild I turned it down...what do you say to them if you get hacked yet again and now you lose their gil too

As Ahnalia states why would I give those cockroaches the satisfaction of becoming their next new customer, it is exactly what they want.

Although I feel FFXI is like what Lucky Charms are to kids...kiddie crack, short of quitting the game which really doesn't accomplish a whole lot but to give you a very short term feeling of satisfaction. I do feel holding back my monthly payment in combination with what I am sure will be some noticably reduced income numbers for the month of Dec. (all those hacked accounts more than likley have invalid CC attached) should force SE to address this problem and hopefully propose a solution similar to the one that Ronin has suggested.

I mean really what are they going to do with 2500+ accounts that no longer have a valid credit card attached....delete them all along with what I am sure will be a couple of hundred + accounts such as mine that have been put into a cancelled state and at their next monthly board meeting have nothing to say other than "Yes wasn't that odd"

Jeny from the 'Rok
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Metalmyth
    Ronin your a genuis!!! seriously what a brilliant idea!!! I never even thought of that, exactly the kind of solution in combination with policy/safeguard changes that SE could offer to those of us who fell victim to this recent rash of hackings. You need to apply for William Bisby's job!! (SE North American Account Manager)
    If my bf had this position, all of us would have had our accounts back ages ago. :3 But seriously, it would be amazing to see our characters rolled back in time, just right before we were hacked.

Skycaptain

You know with all that has happened I'm seriously considering that SE doesn't have the brains or the technology to roll back a character! I mean come on when I think of SE my mind instantly pictures a bunch of nerdy jpn's in some guys’ basement with comfort fans cooling down servers so they don't overload. With a bunch of family and friends all sitting around a dinning room table answering phones; :Hello: this is Square Enix how may I direct your call…

Hi Jeny

To be honest with you I don't see the harm, I understand that SE would need to handle this on a case by case basis to ensure people would not abuse the situation. I also realize this doesn't solve the problem of reintroducing items/gil back into the game but if it is that much of a concern than maybe SE should take some time to investigate/track what accounts those items and resulting gil were given to and where that gil is at currently (hmmm lvl 1 with 23 million gil...that's peculiar)

Freeze the mule accounts which come into question that now have millions of gil and have them call in to verify how it was obtained.It may seem a bit intrusive for mules that have that gil legitametly but no more intrusive than legitmate players calling in dozens of times to get their accounts locked only to be told "sorry we can't help you and yes what you are saying makes sense but policy is policy"

I mean come on if you have the reg codes and the person currently in control of the account does not, what is the excuse?? Someone new bought the account entered their CC info wouldn't that in itself be a violation of the TOS? only the person who registered is allowed to use the account. It is such a stupid policy it's like your car gets stolen and the police pull over the thief while he is driving and then the police report back "There was nothing we could do the thief had signed the back of your registration card so basically the car is now his"

Ronin's suggestion makes the most sense and allows legitmate players who were victims of this issue to get back into the game with the least amount of impact.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Besides, they know perfectly well that not every character had any gear that would be labelled as able to "disrupt game balance". Most had pretty random gear, and a lot had good rare,ex gear and standard NQ/NQ's. Even if they reintroduced a few more items by rollback, what hard would there be? only a handful more of KC across all servers, that's hardly a game economy shattering event.

That system being abused would be another issue, as I'm sure someone with speed belt/KC/OMGrare tier 0 HQ could try this stunt, but then again, IP checking would go a long way, also verifying CC source, the first 4 (maybe 8) digits themselves can tell you what bank/country issued it (gives some info, that for certain). And it's not hard or difficult to gather and save that info.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Sadly I don't think the special task force is big enough to handle this kind of situation like this in a reasonable amount of time. Investigating 2400-2500 cases could become a real cluster fuck that could take months to sort through.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And for them, a person reporting an account hacked, the account's CC and PW changing to one completely different, and said hacked account all of a sudden start selling every decent gear they hold, buying the cheapest gear possible to replace it, and selling amemet skins, cassie earrings, etc isn't a good indication of whom is using it. Because of course, real players do camp Amemet like clockwork, amirite?

I guess that for SE, these cases are 1+1=1.5 instead of 2.

That's why they're so slow, they ignore obvious situations.

About sometime during the beginning of Dec, I bought the expansion hoping to come back and check out whats new in game (quit a couple months ago). When I was hearing about the first wave of attacks I really wasn't concerned cause I felt that SE was actually going to do something about it... It's almost been a full month and I still haven't open'd the expansion pack in fear of getting my account hacked. Paranoia gets the best of people.

I truely hope those who were hack'd and were stripped of all their work, somehow get it back. Like some people have already mentioned; Playing the game for 3yrs+ just isn't a game anymore, It becomes a community. And the items you get ingame really takes a lot out of you. (We all know you've skipped dinner / sleep / sex ... etc).

Booki

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender
    Sadly I don't think the special task force is big enough to handle this kind of situation like this in a reasonable amount of time. Investigating 2400-2500 cases could become a real cluster fuck that could take months to sort through.
    Hi Lordender

I agree with you that 2400-2500 is a large number but it begs the question as to why the number is currently so large. As for dealing with it in an efficient manner....almost every single person on this thread and I am quite confident those that aren't would have reported the incident right away at the very most 2-3 days after.

This would be recorded in their database and if not POL really needs to take a look at their call logging process, with this in mind like every other normal company on the face of this planet would do is use the current CC info compared with the previous billing info. For those of us that did not have there CC info changed simply look at when we reported and apply the rollback as Ronin has suggested.

I work in Server Support and standard practice is you perform an incremental backup every night (back up only data that has changed from the night before) and once a week you do a full system backup. Depending on the media used for backup, this is stored offsite for security, having a list of accounts in a spread sheet and the date you would like them restored to would be very easy to do, This is a standard procedure for anyone who does backups and is a fairly common request.

When you look at it from this perspective it is not such an impossible task...but the longer you drag it out the more impossible the task becomes. If SE actually expects that they can ignore the issue and the accounts currently being held fraudulently will force the paying customer to again purachase all the software to get new reg codes just so they can start all over or give back the stripped accounts to customers with nothing more than "you really should be more careful and if it happens again you know the drill"......not going to happen

Quote:

- Gil and item exchange for real world money.
    November 15, Approx. 20 cases
    November 28, Approx. 10 cases
    December 3, Approx. 110 cases
    December 13, Approx. 70 cases
    December 19, Approx. 530 cases

It doesn't take a genius to realize that players that were hacked are being forced to resort to buying gil in order to restore the stolen equipment. I am by no means condoning this behaviour but if the STF used half the efforts they put forth as claimed here in the same report:
    Actually, it's worse and better. The players aren't buying any more, but their accounts are being used as gil-mules or banks to supply RMT's. Remember, they're 1) being liquidated of all items and 2) That Gil is being sold straight to IGE and company. That flags the accounts for being "exchange for real money" and BAM, banhammered.

It's also an effective way to muddy things further. The stolen accounts will need to be restored (it's like someone being carjacked and your response is arresting the guy who was leasing the car!) to some prior saved point, and the more of a mess the RMT's leave, the less manpower S-E has to enforce the real stuff. Double bonus for the gilsellers.

Remember, RMT doesn't care which game you play, as long as they can sell you stuff. Trashing FFXI just means they hope the next MMORPG will look the other way cause it'll be "easier for everybody".