Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Re: Mass Effect

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26169&p=804581&hilit=mass+effe ct#p804581

Fail.

Oh and I couldn't get into it... I have no idea why.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Game is lacking memorable character to keep my interest. It's definitively on the right track when you compare it to Kotor, but you could just swap out anyone and it wouldnt change a thing. The plot is interesting, but you don't get attached to anyone because most of them are dull or generic.

Starless

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadyMan
    Baldur's Gate meets Gears of War

Best game ever or bestest game ever?
    Fixed.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

This game really did not captivate me at first. The intro is good, then you spend what seems like for-fucking-ever on the Citadel. I then went to my first mission, and (after being used to the game autosaving every 5 seconds) I played 2 hours, died, and realized the game had not auto-saved me once.

I picked the game up again a few days later, and haven't put it down since. Once you get over the initial shortcomings it really is a great game. Open ended, the combat is interesting when mixed with a KOTOR-style ring command, and its just a lot of fun.

To the above poster - are you for real about memorable characters? You realize that you DESIGN your own character don't you? Try making a more interesting commander Shepard if you're that disinterested -_- the other characters aren't dull either, they each have quite a background and personality once you talk with them often.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Good to know. I'm on the same boat as you were or so it seems... first mission was awesome, then the 5375983735 hours of cutscenes/little fighting in the next area kind of threw me off and made me hate it... Then I got the Normandy and thought that I was finally going to get some action, only to find out that 99% of the planets I tried going to outside of the main mission ones were blocked off and you can't ACTUALLY enter them but just view info about their stupid atmosphere..

And so I went to the first mission planet and got raped at a mission where you have to go to this dude's floor and grab something from his office, but a bunch of enemies attack you from all directions and kind of destroy you.. After wiping there a couple of times I gave up and haven't played it since, but maybe i'll give it another try.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

To the above poster - are you for real about memorable characters? You realize that you DESIGN your own character don't you? Try making a more interesting commander Shepard if you're that disinterested -_- the other characters aren't dull either, they each have quite a background and personality once you talk with them often.
    I havent finished the game and dont want to argue about it, but none seemed to have enough "personality" to become a good movie or book character. They are doing very little on their own, just reading their text.

And Shepard can't be memorable knowing 5000 clones with different body and one of the same 3 backstory could replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    I havent finished the game and dont want to argue about it, but none seemed to have enough "personality" to become a good movie or book character. They are doing very little on their own, just reading their text.

And Shepard can't be memorable knowing 5000 clones with different body and one of the same 3 backstory could replace him.
    You should really finish the game. Once you got past Virmire there is no way you would say they don't have enough personality and don't do anything on their own. For some people it might take a while to get into but the payoff is totally worth it.

Also Sheppard is memorable because of all the different choices you can make and how they effect the story and how people react to you. Not everyone's view of him will be the same because its what you make him.

Starless

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia

If Shepard isn't memorable in your case, you must've made one boring Shepard. This is not a jRPG, you make your character how you want him/her to be, not the way the developers said they will be. Therefore, if the character is boring the fault lies on you, not the developers.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Does the game get more interesting after the boring hours you spend running around the damn city trying to prove to them that that one dude is a traitor? I kind of lost interest around the time you give the council the evidence.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Does the game get more interesting after the boring hours you spend running around the damn city trying to prove to them that that one dude is a traitor? I kind of lost interest around the time you give the council the evidence.
    Yes, the game is still holding your hand at that point. Once you get off the Citadel, you're given a choice to do one of 3 missions. At that point the game really opens up. You can visit other planets and systems, do side quests, or just explore around. After awhile you'll start getting random messages while flying around that ask you to go here and kill so-and-so, help with this, ect. I like that aspect. It's very non-linear at that point and its easy to spend hours doing side quests.

Also the lines of what you should do start to become blurry. There are a LOT of choices to make that aren't easy. This is kinda where they incorporate a light side/dark side element like in KOTOR. The more "light side" choices (though its not always easy to tell which is which) the more points you get towards each side. It's more tied into your charm and intimidate skill though, in some situations there are extra conversation/choices options that aren't available if your skill isn't high enough. I don't wanna spoil anything by giving examples, but they're pretty cool and if you're anything like me you'll sit and stare at the choices for awhile.

As for the difficulty of the game, I got assraped on the first mission I went on as well (I chose the ice world) but it got progressively easier from there. Once I got the hang of using powers effectively and using the right kind of ammunition (bonus vs synthetics for geth, bonus vs organics when against humans/aliens, ect) things start to ease up and I had a lot of fun. Dunno how it'll be on the hardest difficulty setting though

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

omg that's where I got buttraped too... I chose the Ice planet and went up to that dude's floor to get something from his office and got completely owned... died only to find out that I had to start the WHOLE FUCKING THING OVER AGAIN (talking to all the npcs etc. until getting access to that floor), at which point I just gave up and haven't popped it back into the console since heh.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

It's a pain but you just have to manually save every so often. You can do it anytime you're not in a fight and it'll load to that exact point if you happen to die or glitch and get stuck in a wall somewhere. People exaggerate about having to save every 5 steps but it's total bullshit, once you get used to the game you should rarely be dying anyway. I think I finished my first playthrough with just over 50 saves (and most of the sidequests finished ontop of the main quest) but I've seen some people stating they saved almost 200 times.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Gamefly finally sent it to me... guess i'll give the game a fair shot at least until the end... then i'll judge it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Okay after giving it a fair shot (i'm still not done with the game but I just beat Virmire so i'm getting there) I can clearly see that the game is fucking amazing lol.. I gave up right at the beginning of Noveria, without attempting ANY side quests at all, and played at the highest difficulty that was available on the 1st playthrough, so I guess that's why I got owned heh.

Taking my time with this one, doing side quests etc. before advancing on, and it really is very entertaining. The story also got really good on Virmire just now, so that's another good thing. >.> I can see myself playing this over and over under different difficulties until I get all the achievements, it really is entertaining and has a lot of replay value to it.

What levels are people at? I am level 38 I think and done with the 2nd mission out of the initial 3. How much more do I have left in the game?

I mainly use now the Turian and the ehrr Liara chick ?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I'm having trouble picking out what job classes I would like to use.
    in KOTOR I have Scoundrel + Jedi Guardian for Sneak Attack + Force Jump
    I know it's a different game but according to what I liked in KOTOR, anyone have any recommendations?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I beat the game the first time on Soldier... playing a new gameplay right now on soldier AGAIN to get the lv50 and lv60 achievement.

Just a reminder though.. stop doing the main missions after the initial 3 (that is, don't go to Virmire) until you completed all the side quests you want or you probably won't be able to do enough (especially the ones requiring you to go back and forth to the citadel to complete..)
    I won't spoil it for you, but just make sure you don't go to Virmire until you're absolutely sure you completed everything there is to complete (that is, assuming you want the ally achievements and the completionist achievement... it says "complete the majority of the game", but it's actually completing almost all the side quests AND main quests, not just the main storyline..)
    When you're positive there's nothing left to do, go ahead and do the Virmire mission, and if you still haven't unlocked the achievement(s) by then, keep looking for side quests until you get enough (there are new ones in the citadel at that point.)

Once you go to Ilos it's pretty much done, so you want the achievements before going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Serif
    What levels are people at? I am level 38 I think and done with the 2nd mission out of the initial 3. How much more do I have left in the game?

I mainly use now the Turian and the ehrr Liara chick ?
    Actually, I think I'm exactly as far as you are and the same level. I beat Noveria first, and now just finished Feros after doing a lot of side quests.

I can see how a lot of people would find this game boring at times, as it is a little repetitive and takes getting used to some anguish (not saving, back tracking, etc.), but it does get a lot better. But, I think being a huge sci-fi nerd helps me like this game a lot.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Took me 3 playthroughs to get to level 60 (cap), got 2 more ally achievements left and beating the game on insanity and i'm pretty much done (still gotta do the random x75 biotic abilities, but i'm leaving that for later when I can just mess around with the differet classes... using an ability 75 times doesn't seem all that bad since they recharge pretty fast and are used in every single battle basically.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast