+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The Hobbit (Dec 14, 2012/Dec 13, 2013/Dec 16, 2014)

I'm surprised this hasn't hit here yet. Two movies coming, one in 2010 and 2011. Peter Jackson will apparently be involved (producing?), but not to direct. Apparently, they resolved the litigation and came to some sort of an agreement.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/12 ... %e2%80%9d/

Re: The Hobbit

Thank god, finally some concrete details on this. This movie should have been made first.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

With two films, there's no reason to omit anything. The Hobbit was nowhere near the length of Lord of the Rings. However, I swear to god, if they introduce some kind of love interest into the Hobbit, I will hunt down the screenplay writers and smash their feet with a hammer. There was nothing even remotely approaching a love interest in that book, and I c wut you did thar with LotR, New Line. Fuck this one up at your peril. You have been warned.

Obviously, they are gonna work in some kind of love intrest angle, and some how make it out so that Bilbo is revealed to be frodo's father >.>.

I c u rolling their in your grave Mr. Tolkien.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

They'll find a way to work in Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. Cuz they'll just be thinking "This is Lord of the Rings Zero, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by Huggo
    They'll find a way to work in Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. Cuz they'll just be thinking "This is Lord of the Rings Zero, right?"
    Well, none of the characters would be completely out of place... Legolas is the son of Thranduil (the king of the Mirkwood elves), so he should definitely be seen hanging around in the scenes involving Mirkwood and the Battle of Five Armies. Aragorn would be 9 or 10 years old and living in Rivendell at the time the dwarves visit there, and about a year older when Bilbo and Gandalf stop by on their way back to the Shire.

Gimli is harder to place. His birth year is given as 2879 TA, which is 62 years before the story takes place, so he'd certainly be alive and would look basically the same or younger somehow (he would be 139 years old at the time of LOTR, despite his non-gray hair). The problem lies with where he was living at the time. He's known to be distantly related to Durin I, which means he's also distantly related to both Thorin and Dain. Thus, it's possible he was living with Dain's folk in the Iron Mountains at the time, which would allow him to appear in scenes near the end of the story.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huggo
    Well, none of the characters would be completely out of place... Legolas is the son of Thranduil (the king of the Mirkwood elves), so he should definitely be seen hanging around in the scenes involving Mirkwood and the Battle of Five Armies. Aragorn would be 9 or 10 years old and living in Rivendell at the time the dwarves visit there, and about a year older when Bilbo and Gandalf stop by on their way back to the Shire.

Gimli is harder to place. His birth year is given as 2879 TA, which is 62 years before the story takes place, so he'd certainly be alive and would look basically the same or younger somehow (he would be 139 years old at the time of LOTR, despite his non-gray hair). The problem lies with where he was living at the time. He's known to be distantly related to Durin I, which means he's also distantly related to both Thorin and Dain. Thus, it's possible he was living with Dain's folk in the Iron Mountains at the time, which would allow him to appear in scenes near the end of the story.
    Isnt Aragorn 100 years old or some shit? I know he is the descendant of that race of human who lived 700 years old, I just dont know how old he is in lotr

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

According to this timeline, Aragorn is 87 at the start of LotR and by the end of the Scouring of the Shire, is 89. He ends up dying at the age of 210. But as Turambar said, he's only 10 during the events of The Hobbit.

Edited because I can't add.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Isnt Aragorn 100 years old or some shit? I know he is the descendant of that race of human who lived 700 years old, I just dont know how old he is in lotr
    Aragorn died (by his choice) at 210 or something around there. Over the 5000+ years between the creation of the Numenorians and their first king Elros, the brother of Elrond, the lives of the Numenorians and then the Dunedian became progressively shorter as their 'pure' blood was diluted through inter-marriage to lesser men. I believe the first 10 or so ruling decedents and family of Elros all lived to quite an extended age, well over 350 or 400. But after Numenor reached its zenith and the kings and people started to fear death more and more their lives were shortened by fear and suffering brought by Sauron.

Oh and to answer your question, he's 87 when he meets the four hobbits in Bree, and is 88 when he is crowned King of Arnor and Gondor on mid-summer's day of T.A.3019.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Didnt remember there was 70 years between the hobbit and lotr. thought it was 40 or something, but I guess it makes sense considering bilbo is 100+

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Don't forget that there's about a 30 year gap between when Bilbo leaves the Shire to retire in Rivendell and when Frodo begins his journey to Mt. Doom. Frodo's actually something like 65 when he leaves on the quest but the PJ films omit this big lag in time as it would have made the emotional dynamics kind of wonky.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhqwghads
    I swear to god, if they introduce some kind of love interest into the Hobbit, I will hunt down the screenplay writers and smash their feet with a hammer. There was nothing even remotely approaching a love interest in that book, and I c wut you did thar with LotR, New Line. Fuck this one up at your peril. You have been warned.
    Didn't you see the way Smaug was looking at Bilbo?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Didnt remember there was 70 years between the hobbit and lotr. thought it was 40 or something, but I guess it makes sense considering bilbo is 100+
    He's 111 at start of LotR (well, 110, technically, he has his 111th birthday)

TOO MUCH MAN
    BG Level

Needs more Silmarillion.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Quote Originally Posted by Ishido
    Needs more Silmarillion.
    Totally, but it's completely un-filmable. I think they only way they could attempt to do it some justice would be to do a mini-series of some sort chronicling some of the major stories - the destruction of the Two Treas, the Tale of Beren and Luthien, Turin Turambar's story. What would be neat would be a faux-documentary discussing the historical events; maybe even using the Ken Burns style with art from Alan Lee, John Howe, Ted Nasmith, and other prominent Tolkien artists.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elesirdur
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishido
    Needs more Silmarillion.
    Totally, but it's completely un-filmable. I think they only way they could attempt to do it some justice would be to do a mini-series of some sort chronicling some of the major stories - the destruction of the Two Treas, the Tale of Beren and Luthien, Turin Turambar's story. What would be neat would be a faux-documentary discussing the historical events; maybe even using the Ken Burns style with art from Alan Lee, John Howe, Ted Nasmith, and other prominent Tolkien artists.
    I like the second idea, that would be interesting to watch.

Turin Turambar's story.
    Yes plz.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

I always found The Silmarilion a much more interesting read because it is the grand history of Middle-Earth, as well as what I feel is a much more personal vehicle for Tolkien to express his views on religion, history, and cosmogony. LotR is definitely an epic story in novel form, but especially as a student of history, I really enjoyed losing myself in the concept that reading The Silmarilion was like reading some long lost tome that Tolkien had translated, like the Snorri Sturluson's Prose Edda.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar
    Turin Turambar's story.
    Yes plz.
    In light of '300' and 'Beowulf', an action movie about that story would be fucking badass. Of course people would think it's ripping off Beowulf, but the origin of the character has nothing to do with the character Beowulf.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I always found The Silmarilion a much more interesting read because it is the grand history of Middle-Earth, as well as what I feel is a much more personal vehicle for Tolkien to express his views on religion, history, and cosmogony. LotR is definitely an epic story in novel form, but especially as a student of history, I really enjoyed losing myself in the concept that reading The Silmarilion was like reading some long lost tome that Tolkien had translated, like the Snorri Sturluson's Prose Edda.
    Really? I found myself bored to tears by it. :\ Albeit, I was 12 at the time, so maybe I'll enjoy it more now. Though a movie of the more interesting/important stories inside it would be really cool.

Now I wish I had asked for it for Christmas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast