+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

Check Disk Prompt on startup

Hi, I'm on PC and have recently been having a lot of problems with graphical lock ups and pol crashes. The graphics have been locking in other games to.

Recently I've been prompted to run a check disk on windows startup (xp proffesional). I let it do this, but it was unable to complete stage 2 of 3. I have now started skipping this scan but my computer is a lot slower than it was (particularly on startup).

Seperately (i think) i can't connect to pol most of the time now. Once i get in i am fine for a bit then it just crashes me pol-280 (i think) without warning.

What do i need to do to fix the check disk problem? I'm thinking my hard drive has some damage or fails some checks on startup, is that right?

Re: Check Disk Prompt on startup

Sounds like your hard drive is dying. If you can, open up the command prompt (start > run > cmd) and type "chkdsk c: /r" then type "y" to say yes to doing it on next reboot. Reboot and let it scan... see what happens. If it fails again, your hard drive is probably dying. Back up whatever data you can (documents, pics, etc) and get a new hard drive... That'd probably be the easiest way to fix it.

Before buying a new hdd you can try a full reformat if you want. It sometimes fixes extreme data corruption that check disk can't fix. But then you have to question why it became corrupt in the first place.

But that possibly could be due to power failure, so I dunno. Completely up to you.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If nothing else seems to work, burn the Ultimate Boot CD image, boot off that disc, and run the HDD test. If anything fails, you know what's wrong.