BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Party Priority for BRDs

Ok this is topic has nothing to do with exp parties, BCNMs, etc. What I'm interested in are people's opnions on where a BRD should be placed within an alliance. Giving priority to certain parties before others when you're limited on the number of bards for an alliance.

This topic came up recently in my LS and there's a pretty heated debate over it between the Melee, Tanks, Mages in the tank party, and Black Mages themselves. The arguement is which party should get the priority on the BRD, the Black Mage Party, the Tank party, or the melee party. There are two cases here also. The difference between one bard and two bards and where should they be placed to make things run efficiently in Dynamis, Omega/Ultima fights, Ouryu, Bv2, HNMs, etc.

Now my position on the issue is that I'm a main PLD, but I also have BLM75 as well. My opinion is that the tank party should always get the Bard first before the Black mage or the melee party. After the tanks have a bard than the Black Mages will get the next available bard and so on. The usual tank party consists of 2 PLDs, 1-2 WHM(s), 1 RDM, and maybe some other misc. job such as SMN. The Black Mage party is just that 4-5BLMs, maybe a RDM and that's it. The melee party is a party of melee and they'd prefer to have a BRD as their 6th member.

What I'm asking is: Where does your linkshell place its bards when you're limited to 1-2 available at an event at the given time? Also, what's your reasoning behind placing the BRD in a certain party first before another?

Looking for some outside help to resolve this issue. I personally and the few people who are usually in the tank party believe the Bard should be placed there first no matter what for MP and curing issues. However, my opinion is pretty biased and so it'd be helpful to get some outside opinions to sway one group either way.

Re: Party Priority for BRDs

I'm gonna take a stab at this....

....but I think it depends on the fight.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Yeah it's all techinically situational, but for a general consesus what do you think the normal placement of a BRD would be within the alliance? Saying it's situational is something I already know about, but then again you can say "it's situational" for almost everything in this game. Sort of like saying what's better for a WAR Axe/Ridill or G. Axe? It's situational. Kind of why I mentioned Dynamis, Bahamut v2, Ouryu, Omega etc. where normally you'd have a full alliance or close to that.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Tanks > Melees > BLMs, Melees can come before tanks on some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vistani
    Tanks > Melees > BLMs, Melees can come before tanks on some stuff.
    This, not to mention the fact that as a BLM I'd much prefer a COR to a BRD. But even before CORs we made the least use of BRD, they are just performing a RDM's job in a BLM PT but with 2/5th the effort.

Edit: Unless it's a relic BRD, and in a situation like Dynamis where you'd make better use of the higher MP/tic than you do of the MAB and Macc.

In places like dynamis and einherjar (minus t2/t3 bosses), where tanks aren't taking for long, melee parties get priority. My LS uses RDMs for BLM parties 9/10 times, COR if one's around (we don't have many). Most other situations I'd probably give the first to the tanks though

Demosthenes11

tank >>>>>>> all on any HNM
    melee > blm=tank in dynamis/ein

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Well, the easiest solution for groups that don't have a plethora of players showing up to events as bards is to make them bounce.

Speaking from the perspective of a bard, my personal preference goes as:

For HNM, it's pretty much no contest tank party gets the bard first. For certain HNM, such as Khimaira, where there is essentially no melee party, I'd say tank party should be entitled to the first two bards available. For stuff like Cerberus, where melee are highly powerful but the mob itself is dangerous, tank party gets first bard, melee party gets second bard. For stuff like Fafhogg, where it's easier to tank, I wouldn't mind going into the melee party first just to speed up the fight. If I'm in the tank party first, it's all good though.

For stuff where it's kill a bunch of small mobs, like Einherjar and Dynamis, definitely melee party, then BLM party of minor importance. Don't even bring a "tank" party, just have your melee tank everything. They're going to anyway.

Way back when, I pretty much always found myself in the BLM party first regardless of what we were doing. Nowadays, most good BLM have pretty hefty hMP gear sets and generally aren't retarded, and can manage fairly well with just a bouncing bard if we're really low. The bard in the tank party first (double if you can afford it cause double bard tank parties make things so much smoother) or melee party for speed is my personal preference. Although for stuff like CoP wyrms, that are totally BLM fights when using the sleep/nuke method, we always have either a bard + cor combo, or a Gjallarhorn for the BLM parties.

But yea, if you're low on bards, just bounce.

Tank PT.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

HNMs/Anthing you seriously have to Tank = Tank Party
    Dynamis = Melee (BLMs want a BRD so they can be lazy and not rest, Melee want one so they can destroy shit and kill faster)
    Einherjar = Bring a Bard for everyone

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I go PLD for most of my events and I'd say the following:

Dynamis : BLM party. BLM's tend to be able to stay together more easily and have a heck of a lot of work to do in Dynamis, whereas tanks are often all over the place either kiting or holding mobs, many of which may be slept anyway.
    Sky Gods : Tank party, except Kirin (kite method) BLM party, or (TP burn method) DD party.
    Omega/Ultima : About equal between tank party and BLM party.
    HNM : Tank party, except zerg fights, then DD party.
    Limbus : Whoever grabs them first!
    Salvage : Mage party.
    Einherjar : Don't do it with just one BRD!
    Sea : Depends on NM.

In most instances the DD party comes last, I'd say.

I sleep with a Gjallarhorn at night and live in the tank party, unless it's a manaburn sea farm.

I hate being in a DD party on BRD unless it's a merit party. DD bitch too much, bitches.

Being in a party with 5 taru BLM is like being at a daycare.

Quote Originally Posted by Judai
    HNMs/Anthing you seriously have to Tank = Tank Party
    Dynamis = Melee (BLMs want a BRD so they can be lazy and not rest, Melee want one so they can destroy shit and kill faster)
    Einherjar = Bring a Bard for everyone
    I'd agree with this the most of all the posts.

When you are running low people and it's beneficial to bounce parties, ill move between 2 parties to keep songs up. I almost always try to give 2 parties SV'd + Abilitied songs when I use that (whether it's just to kill faster or because Nid decided to wing 7 times in a row and we have 9 people) just because it makes my 2 hour feel more useful. I don't like bouncing parties if it's not really necessary though, but if you can see a large advantage to jumping parties and keeping things smooth, then you definitely should (for example, get Fafnir with 16 people, yes I could change parties and we'd probably kill it a few min faster, am I going to switch because I'm the only bard? probably not unless I 2 hour.).

We give our ghorn to BLM party in Dynamis. Melee parties get priority next in our ls (not including ghorn), but like someone else said, Melee are going to tank anyways, might as well help them kill faster. If you have some good melee mobs aren't living more than a few seconds.

Einherjar, bring a bard for everyone, and on Odin, we give our ghorn to tank party.

HNM's is pretty much what everyone else said, Tank party first, arguable whether the 2nd bard goes there too, I wouldn't throw a tantrum if they wanted first 2, or if one went to another party. My preference for tank party is BRDx2, RDM, WHM, PLDx2 (we have 4 Aegis, don't really use other jobs to tank unless its someone holding on a late night camp).

Omega/Ultima, even though they're considered easy at this point, I'd still say Tank party should get a bard first. It just feels so much safer, and seems to make stuff smoother.

Our LS doesn't really use COR at all really, unless its for resetting 2 hour.

Subduer of the Squenix
    BG Level

For extended fights it's best to have a BRD in the tank party to help tanks maintain hate over long periods of time. For events that a series of short fights (dynamis, einherjar) BRDs are best in the melee party.

DDs get the most "bang for the buck" so to speak from having a BRD in party. Stronger DDs = faster kills = less MP spent on healing = less MP needing to be spent by tanks = everything going smoother. Tank party should be fine with just refresh for anything that's not a prolonged fight.

If, for some reason you're stuck doing an important event with limited BRDs, that BRD can easily put songs on two different parties. I've spent half a dynamis hopping between two melee parties before just so that both parties had songs.

BLM party really should have the last priority on BRD unless you're using a manaburn strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suterusu
    Being in a party with 5 taru BLM is like being at a daycare.
    That is the best quote ever.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Sylphet
    DDs get the most "bang for the buck" so to speak from having a BRD in party. Stronger DDs = faster kills = less MP spent on healing = less MP needing to be spent by tanks = everything going smoother. Tank party should be fine with just refresh for anything that's not a prolonged fight.
    This. Giving BRD to mages instead of DDs in something like Salvage is something I would never do. Same with Limbus, Einherjar, etc., especially since there's a timer. Give the melee a BRD so they can kill.

And of course the flipside is true: for stuff that is a prolonged fight, we like to have a BRD in the tank party. After that, it depends on the event. If it's something we use primarily BLM damage on (like Ultima) then sure, the 2nd BRD is going with some BLMs. But otherwise, since none of our BRDs have relic horn, a BRD is only being used to a fraction of its capacity in a BLM party. Basically, the only time BLMs get a BRD before melee is when we're bringing few or no melee.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Rotate your bard if it's that hard to decide Depending on the fight though, this could generate a lot of enmity for the bard if the tank was to die, also make sure the mob wont stay claim with the bard if they drop from party.

Quote Originally Posted by deced
    For certain HNM, such as Khimaira, where there is essentially no melee party, I'd say tank party should be entitled to the first two bards available.
    Pussies. It's fun to MPK melees at Khim with Minuet.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

motherfuckin melee

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Ok cool thanks for the opinions. One last question though and it has to do with Dynamis-Xarc. If we had two Bards how many of you would say, "one to tank party and another to the melee party"?

Sometimes in a few Dynamis our WHMs runs low on MP because of the melee getting trucked a lot. Not sure who's at fault really. The one melee who WSs @90% of a mobs life or the WHM who uses Cure V constantly. The melee don't always WS @90% of a mobs life, but it happens occaisionally. Then they tend to whine because they get smashed by EES or a mob spamming TP moves.

Oh and yeah we do have some SAMs who like SAM/WAR in Dynamis and tend to stand in front of the mob while a tank has hate. My personally opinion is that it's stupid because of conal AoE spam. The /war sub I don't have an issue with it's when the melee whine about being cured when they're standing in front of a mob that uses AoE or more specifically conal AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuciont
    Sometimes in a few Dynamis our WHMs runs low on MP because of the melee getting trucked a lot. Not sure who's at fault really. The one melee who WSs @90% of a mobs life or the WHM who uses Cure V constantly. The melee don't always WS @90% of a mobs life, but it happens occaisionally. Then they tend to whine because they get smashed by EES or a mob spamming TP moves.
    get melees who have a clue what about what they're doing. No offense to any SAMs reading this, but: let me guess this person is a SAM aren't they?

for xarcabard if you got 2 brd yeah: I'd go with tank + melee party assignment