+ Reply to Thread

13 Year old German boy corrects Nasa.(disproven)

Don't you guys think that such slips are getting way too frequent for NASA.
    I mean, not too long ago, they lost a vehicle in a Mar's mission.
    Later, a spaceship falls into pieces as it approaches landing killing all inside.
    Then, the whole drama of astronauts in a love triangle.
    For guys that got pretty much all the brains working for them and millionaire space tickets you would actually expect them to cover all possible sides to prevent such from happening.
    NASA used to be such pride, now a let down little by little.
    The article are just below and the original article from here
    Wednesday April 16, 04:54 PM

Schoolboy debunks NASA estimate of asteroid threat

The space boffins do not always get it right - a 13-year-old schoolboy has successfully challenged NASA, correcting the US space agency's calculations of a possible killer asteroid strike on the Earth in 30 years.

NASA had estimated there was a one in 45,000 chance that the asteroid Apophis will collide with the Earth.

But a young German schoolboy, Nico Marquardt, corrected it to a one in 450 chance and therefore changed the date the asteroid might hit.

The work has impressed the head astronomer at the Anglo-Australian Observatory, Professor Fred Watson.

"That 13-year-old German schoolboy has done a marvellous job because it's one of those things that perhaps if you look back 100 years, people used logarithms for this process to work out asteroid orbits and hand-calculators and slide rules and things like that," he said.

"The process took days and days, but it says a lot for the world that we live in that now a 13-year-old schoolboy can download the right software to do the job and actually find out errors in NASA's work. It's quite extraordinary."
    'Great brains'

Professor Watson says it proves even the great brains of NASA can get it wrong.

"Honestly, it's very hard to overstate just how good NASA is at this kind of thing, even though they sometimes get their imperial units and their metric units mixed up," he said.

"But it's very hard to think of everything and that's what has happened in this case.

"The schoolboy has thought of something that would actually elude most people, and that's the possibility of the asteroid Apophis when it makes its close path to the Earth, interacting with one of the Earth's geostationary satellites.

"These are our communication satellites which exist in many thousands in a band about 36,000 kilometres above the Earth's surface.

"That is something - once you see that it sticks out as plain as the nose on your face - but it's one of those things that you really have to think about."

Professor Watson says he suspects the only thing that would really make any difference would be a collision, because Apophis weighs infinitely more than a satellite.

"It's on a trajectory which has a speed rather greater than these satellites, so a collision could make a microscopic but nevertheless tangible change to its orbit," he said.

He says with this new calculation of a one in 450 chance of the asteroid hitting the Earth, the critical time is actually 2036, not 2029.

"2029 is when it makes a close approach and 2036 is when the big uncertainty is," he said.

"We don't know what the Earth's gravity will do until we pass the asteroid in 2029, in terms of where it will be a few years later."

admin: corrected topic title so people dont read op then make stupid posts

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Re: 13 Year old German boy corrects Nasa.

few hours later it's released he's wrong

u r l8

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Oh god, I knew they would come up with alternate theories for the end of the world even after 2012.

link to the whole "He's wrong" thing?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/16 ... is_denial/

published at...6am est this morning?
    LATE

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Deep Impact shit right here.

and more articles to show the boy was wrong

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/91346/wed ... you-missed

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/register/20080 ... d76f9.html

Edit: just realized that the second link is the exact article as Ozz's, just from Yahoo! news.

"NASA says..."
    "NASA says..."
    "NASA says..."

Media jumps all over it like anything NASA pisses in publications is irrefutable fact, and now it's wrong because "NASA says". Whoo, well, I feel assured already...

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Venture
    "NASA says..."
    "NASA says..."
    "NASA says..."

Media jumps all over it like anything NASA pisses in publications is irrefutable fact, and now it's wrong because "NASA says". Whoo, well, I feel assured already...
    Problem with this is that NASA never said he was right, the article about it flat-out lied, both about his math's accuracy and the NASA/ESA confirmations. He's wrong, the only people that come out of this with egg on their faces are the German kid and the paper that initially released the story without, apparently, checking any of the facts.

For what it's worth, NASA isn't the only one saying their math is right. Thanks to the scrutiny caused by this story, it's been independently verified that NASA was, in fact, right in the first place.

Re: 13 Year old German boy corrects Nasa.(disproven)

It's like multiple Shepard boys crying "Wolf!" at this point. The boy's calculations wouldn't have even been bothered with if NASA's own math wasn't already scrutinized for being wrong many times before, so you end up with two sides to a story where both sides are hard to believe, but the calculations from the second-comer are taken for being right because, hell...a 12-year old prolly could do a better job then NASA right now.

So, "NASA says..." is like: "Heh, ok, here's a ball. Go play with it."

It's like multiple Shepard boys crying "Wolf!" at this point. The boy's calculations wouldn't have even been bothered with if NASA's own math wasn't already scrutinized for being wrong many times before, so you end up with two sides to a story where both sides are hard to believe, but the calculations from the second-comer are taken for being right because, hell...a 12-year old prolly could do a better job then NASA right now.

cuz your space program is so much better, rite?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Remyo

Damn right my space program is better than yours. I could teach you, but I'd have to charge.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin

Damn right my space program is better than yours. I could teach you, but I'd have to charge.
    i c wut u did thar.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by The_OG_Nelta
    Don't you guys think that such slips are getting way too frequent for NASA.
    I mean, not too long ago, they lost a vehicle in a Mar's mission.
    Later, a spaceship falls into pieces as it approaches landing killing all inside.
    Then, the whole drama of astronauts in a love triangle.
    For guys that got pretty much all the brains working for them and millionaire space tickets you would actually expect them to cover all possible sides to prevent such from happening.
    NASA used to be such pride, now a let down little by little.

Don't be suprise if you can easily lost contact with any spacecraft in outer space. there are too much disturbance. And our current gps ins system still not perfect (althought it is perfect in most way).

for the space shuttle accident.... yeah, blame the government that cutting NASA's funding since iraq war. no joke

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin

i c wut u did thar.
    La la-la la la,
    Warm it up.
    Lala-lalala,
    The rocks are waiting

My math skills bring all the rocks to the earth,
    And they're like
    It's better than yours,
    Damn right it's better than yours,
    I can teach you,
    But I have to charge

I can see you're on it,
    You want me to teach thee
    Techniques that freaks these people worried about 1 in 45,000 chances,
    It can't be bought,
    Just know, NASA gets caught,
    Watch if your smart,

La la-la la la,
    Warm it up.
    Lala-lalala,
    The rocks are waiting

My math skills bring all the rocks to the earth,
    And they're like
    It's better than yours,
    Damn right it's better than yours,
    I can teach you,
    But I have to charge

Oh, once you get involved,
    Everyone will look this way-so,
    You must maintain your stance,
    Same time maintain your math,
    Just get the perfect blend,
    Plus what you have within,
    Then next his eyes are squint,
    Then he's seen what you did there

oh lawd... excellent job khamsin