+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What a US Open...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Re: What a US Open...

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay
    I have some friends who think Tiger was "embellishing" his injuries during bad shots, and was trying to add a "MJ" like story to his legacy. Interesting, I don't buy it, but interesting.
    It's a knee injury though, something he feels with every hard shot. It's not like he's grabbing his elbow or something, he's putting a shit load of pressure on the knee every time he drives the ball 300 yards.

I don't think Tiger Woods of all people would need to fake an injury to strengthen his legacy. If anything, he'd fake it if he thought he was going to lose in order to have an "out" during press conferences. But does Tiger ever really feel like he's going to lose?
    Fixed first part, and totally agree. Who wouldn't wince after swinging a golf club so soon after surgery? Tiger's fucking amazing and just keeps proving it over and over especially this year. In the past though, in events such as the british open - I've kinda noticed that he may be exaggerating pain from swinging just to have an "out" as you say during the press conferences lol.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by chapstick
    Quote Originally Posted by Deejay
    I have some friends who think Tiger was "embellishing" his injuries during bad shots, and was trying to add a "MJ" like story to his legacy. Interesting, I don't buy it, but interesting.
    It's a knee injury though, something he feels with every hard shot. It's not like he's grabbing his elbow or something, he's putting a shit load of pressure on the knee every time he drives the ball 300 yards.

I don't think Tiger Woods of all people would need to fake an injury to strengthen his legacy. If anything, he'd fake it if he thought he was going to lose in order to have an "out" during press conferences. But does Tiger ever really feel like he's going to lose?
    Fixed first part, and totally agree. Who wouldn't wince after swinging a golf club so soon after surgery? Tiger's fucking amazing and just keeps proving it over and over especially this year. In the past though, in events such as the british open - I've kinda noticed that he may be exaggerating pain from swinging just to have an "out" as you say during the press conferences lol.
    Plus, I love how people think he winced on his bad shots. Didn't you guys notice him wincing and nearly doubling over even when his shot ended up in the fairway off a great drive? He was in pain throughout the whole tournament. There's no faking in that. That's why he doesn't like talking about the knee problem. He doesn't want to use it as an excuse for why he may or may not have won the tourney. I like the fact that he wouldn't expect people to use that as an easy way out.

Also, the only reason he seemed to be in less pain in the last part of the final round was because he took some over the counter meds and such.

Either way, it was the best golf I've ever seen. While it may not have been flawless play, it was fantastic drama and Tiger made shots he had to in the end. Just as the commercial with Tiger's father, Earl, in the background -- Tiger is mentally tough beyond comparison, and you'll probably never meet someone as focused as him.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

So this guy is good at a shitty sport.

COMPELLING.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I think this was my favorite sporting event since the Gophers made the Final Four in 1997 or the Wild vs. Avs playoff series in 2003. Everything came together... who I watched it with, where I was, who the players were, the up and down scores, the crazy shots and drama, etc. I'm not sure why it was so good though, because I didn't have a 'home team' to root for. I've been a casual Tiger fan for years, but not enough of one to really get worked up about it.

This quote from an ESPN article sums it up pretty well, I think: "I want Tiger to win," said one of the businessmen who had stood nearby, "but I don't want Rocco to lose."

It was just a really fucking good tournament.

Ridill
    BG Level

I think the rough was not as bad as it should've been, there were too many great shots out of there for it to just be a bunch of fluke super genius shots.

I really like Tiger but I have to admit I can't resist that much of an underdog and was cheering for Rocco at the end. It should've been his tournament, but he got screwed by the media telling Tiger for a few weeks straight that he couldn't do it. Similar to what we saw with Strahan and the rest of the Giants' d-line, you just don't tell him he can't do something unless you really want to see him do it.

Did anyone catch the challenge on Sunday? Was pretty interesting, the non-famous guy started out well with 3 bogeys on the first 3 holes, then took 26 strokes on the next 3, ended up shooting 114 (he's like a 7 handicap). Timberlake shot 98 which is pretty damn impressive, and Romo's 84 should've been at worst an 82 due to some fluke crap including basically a whiff that moved the ball 2 inches. Regardless of that he still shot better than a lot of rounds that were played by the tour pros Thursday and Friday.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow
    I think the rough was not as bad as it should've been, there were too many great shots out of there for it to just be a bunch of fluke super genius shots.
    There weren't that many shots out of the deep rough. Most of the missed fairways ended up in the first rough cut or on parts where the crowd trampled it flat.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by guartz

COMPELLING.
    Would it really hurt the people with no interest in pro golf to stay the fuck out of a golf thread altogether? Must you shit it up with your presence because you haven't said 'I don't like golf' in enough ways yet?

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Pretty sure theres a sandy vajayjay rule in place for that shit as well.

COMPELLING.
    Why do you consider it a shitty sport? It's hard as hell to play well and do it consistently.

New Merits
    BG Level

tiger is a pussy bitch: poor knee, he was out for month's babying himself while any hockey player with the same problem would be back on the ice in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by oxx2
    tiger is a pussy bitch: poor knee, he was out for month's babying himself while any hockey player with the same problem would be back on the ice in a week.
    Ignorant.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Yeah, what a pussy. Hockey players are so much tougher...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_k ... kepm481797

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/7390433

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2710885

Although I'm sure that some of the NHL clubs are so poorly managed that the team docs would let them back on the ice after a week.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I read this, then your signature, and then I said "that makes sense"

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Correction
    Quote Originally Posted by BarthelloSylph
    I know golf probably isn't popular here, but the playoff today was the most compelling major I've seen in a long, long time.
    compelling, golf. Never in the same sentence.
    Someone hasn't paid attention to pro golf over the last 10 years...Tiger is a goddamn phenom and a hell of a guy to make folks watch more golf on TV.
    This.

It's understandable not to know the game and think it's boring as hell... But if you actually DO understand it, you get to enjoy watching someone be as dominant as anyone who has ever dominating anything in the history of sports or mankind. If you have spent any time playing the game, you realize the guy is practically superhuman.

Honestly, it's worth learning the game just to watch Tiger be almost literally a god among men.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Just to follow that up, I fucking hate when golf is on TV, it really is a pretty boring sport to watch, HOWEVER, I know how hard it is to be good at, and I have mad respect for the professionals that play that game.

Since I only have one channel at home, I got what I thought was "stuck watching golf", the other night, but I just happen to start watching when Tiger made that chip that bounced off the flagpole. By the end of it all I was literally on the edge of my seat, and watching Tiger sink that long ass last putt, that seemed to curve about 3-4 feet, was like watching a fucking Hollywood golf movie. Incredible.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Not going to lie, Tiger Woods is every reason why I bought that PGA Tour 08' game. Mind you, I used to make fun of my friends who played golf in highschool, and now I find myself wanting to take lessons because Woods makes the game so damn exciting.

The way he always seems to come through in pressure situations is rediculous. Thousands of people literally *hovering* over you while you're trying to make a 20 foot birdie putt to tie the leader on the last hole, twice in the same weekend? MJ had his fair share of buzzer beaters but he hasn't produced on such a scale that Tiger has.

I feel bad for the people who have the chance to witness first hand a living legend rewriting history, and are bilnded by the fact that they don't think golf is a "real" sport.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

COMPELLING.

I know this is wasted effort on someone solely trying to shit up the thread.. but first of all, Tiger isn't just good. He wins tournaments at a rate that no human has any business doing, especially in a FFA sport. Nevermind specifically golf's difficulty in general because you hate the sport. The extent to which "this guy" dominates his sport is compelling in and of itself. His discipline and skill are unmatched by anyone against whom he plays, and nearly everytime he plays, he's in contention for the win. Out of the 100+ usual competitors, one or several of them will have great days/tournaments, but Tiger always seems to be near the top of the leaderboard. It's so absurd that he's always there, it's impossible to not pull for him. As opposed to a team sport, I don't think people can or will get tired of seeing him win. He's not just winning a series of 1v1 challenges (that would get boring because on an average day he's better than any other single person) but he's beating the arbitrary pros who happen to be playing some of their best golf for that round/tournament. His mediocre-to-good golf keeps him around whomever is playing best that weekend, while his great golf shatters records and makes eagles look the norm. When Tiger loses, he gets second. Other pros will win a tournament and fail to make the next tournament's cut. You know, like normal golfers should.

Now if Tiger's not in the tournament, then golf is golf and significantly less interesting. But each time he's out there, you're watching one of the single best spectacles in all of sports.

Breaking news....Tiger's out the rest of the season. A big fuck you to everyone who said he's faking it or being a giant pussy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/g ... ml?cnn=yes

Torn ACL and stress fractures.

Rocco now has a new claim to fame- he's the man who made Tiger Woods play so hard he's out for the rest of the season.

The damage was so bad in that left knee ligament that Woods can't use the leg properly until it heals after ANOTHER surgery, no more golf till then. Further, he was playing with a double stress fracture in his left tibia.

Link's in the post above mine.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm glad he made the most of the one tournament he played, but perhaps he shouldn't have rushed back so soon...

You know Rocco's pissed now... if only Tiger had sat the tourney out, he'd have his first major...